Why become a member? ×

G&L L5500

EmmettC

I have a G&L L5500, it plays amazingly, it's not too heavy and it looks awesome. But.......it's not really a G&L because of the EMG pups and electronics, they sound fine, in fact more sound-engineers have commented on the (nice) sound of my 5500 than my Stingray5 or my L2500. I just don't like it, it's too, well, EMGish,

I've tried selling it, but I guess no one is interested in the EMG loaded G&L, (I sold my 2500 tribute in 2 days),so what do I do? Leave it hanging on the wall looking pretty, or........

I've been thinking about new electronics, I could do some routing and stick in a couple of MM pups, or a if I use a scratchplate I could use a P/MM combo and get a decent preamp, but would I destroy a lovely bass, or would I finally get some use out of a bass I don't really like?

What do you think should happen it?

These are the original pups, G&L pups are amazing so I'm not sure why they went with EMG for this model. I would sticg G&L pups in in a second, but they are proverbial hens teeth, it would still need to be routed.

Thanks again such, the pickups are sorted.

Any ideas for a preamp, the EMG one is volume, blend and stacked Bass and Treble tone control. So ideally 3 pots that aren't mounted to a board. I guess I'll be drilling 2 holes anyway for a pickup selector and a coil tap, so I can drill more holes for pots if it's wort while.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1338201041' post='1670626']
These are the original pups, G&L pups are amazing so I'm not sure why they went with EMG for this model.
[/quote]

Somebody more knowledgable than me on here regarding G&L said the L5500 was a stopgap model. The previous G&L 5 string (L5000) had really tight string spacing so the 5500 filled the gap until the L2500 was ready. I don't think that many of them were made. I played one in McCormacks a number of years ago and I quite liked it. A very different set of tones from the usual G&L MFD/tri-tone set up for sure.
Personally I'd kep the bass as is and try and get a trade on it for something you'd prefer

if you like the bass and everything about it except the tone then mod away. if not what dub junkie says.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1338233754' post='1671343']
Thanks again such, the pickups are sorted.

Any ideas for a preamp, the EMG one is volume, blend and stacked Bass and Treble tone control. So ideally 3 pots that aren't mounted to a board. I guess I'll be drilling 2 holes anyway for a pickup selector and a coil tap, so I can drill more holes for pots if it's wort while.
[/quote] stacked pots? with push pull switches?

also I would keeps trying to trade it- eventually someone will bite. it's a nice looking thing and if I had anything spare that would interest you I'ld be coming to try it.
try a new sale post, pretty pictures (daylight on bed sheet, flash off) bit of the history of them and so on.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1338247807' post='1671739']
if you like the bass and everything about it except the tone then mod away. if not what dub junkie says.
[/quote]
[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1338248046' post='1671742']
also I would keeps trying to trade it- eventually someone will bite. it's a nice looking thing and if I had anything spare that would interest you I'ld be coming to try it.
[/quote]

I really do like the way the bass plays, and feels, so changing out the pups and pre is sounding like a good idea.

I would still trade it, but I don't have any idea what I'd like in exchange, I'm not feeling very Gas-y at the moment. Though I would like a Jazz with a precision neck.................... :blush:

Cheers for the advice.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1338280164' post='1671908']
Don't make any changes that aren't reversible (drilling, routing etc). These are relatively rare and will be worth a few bob some day soon.
[/quote]

Now I want to keep it original, too many options. I think I'll use it this weekend and see how it goes at a gig, it hasn't been out much in the last couple of years. I can make a decision then.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1338284084' post='1671983']
Now I want to keep it original, too many options. I think I'll use it this weekend and see how it goes at a gig, it hasn't been out much in the last couple of years. I can make a decision then.
[/quote] In my experience, and not liking the "emg active sound" they work better in a gig than at home. And nickel strings too

• 6 months later...

I've got one of these, I bought it from an American friend 12 months ago. Having already owned a USA L2500 fretless, I actually prefer the tones from the 5500.
As previously stated, these were only made for about a year, so i wouldn't do any routing or drilling. Keep it original.