Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz shuttle 6.0 lack of clean volume. Help, please!

tbonepete

The shuttle 6.0 does do loud and clean imo especially at 4ohms . (Never had a Hartke so can't compare) Stl 6.0 can be a little low/thin on bass, but hit the LF switch and your sorted.
Never found it to under power running 2x12 at 4 Ohms.

Hi Pete.

I'm not much of an amp expert but I do gig with a Shuttle 6.
I've been very happy with it's performance. I usually aim for a fairly clean sound and it always delivers. I'm using Mark Bass cabs though, which I think are voiced very differently to Hartke.
Given the different cabs it''s probably irrelevant to you what my settings are.

Surprised they haven't got back to you. I think the company is owned by Fender these days, don't know if that has any bearing on it.

It might be worh you paying a visit to the Talk Bass Forum as one of the Genz designers is a member on there and always seems willing to answer any technical questions.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1338065918' post='1669297']
The shuttle 6.0 does do loud and clean imo especially at 4ohms . (Never had a Hartke so can't compare) Stl 6.0 can be a little low/thin on bass, but hit the LF switch and your sorted.
Never found it to under power running 2x12 at 4 Ohms.
[/quote]

Hello Highfox,
Thanks for the reply, as per the question, do you have specific control settings for the shuttle?

thanks Pete

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1338066245' post='1669303']
Hi Pete.

I'm not much of an amp expert but I do gig with a Shuttle 6.
I've been very happy with it's performance. I usually aim for a fairly clean sound and it always delivers. I'm using Mark Bass cabs though, which I think are voiced very differently to Hartke.
Given the different cabs it''s probably irrelevant to you what my settings are.

Surprised they haven't got back to you. I think the company is owned by Fender these days, don't know if that has any bearing on it.

It might be worh you paying a visit to the Talk Bass Forum as one of the Genz designers is a member on there and always seems willing to answer any technical questions.
[/quote] Thanks Gary, yeah, I'd thought I take a wonder over to TB (must admit the hods of answers to questions that havent been asked by "sage" people yet to have their first shave has so far put me off, maybe a wild generalisation though :lol:), I think the guys name is Agedhorse?

Cheers Pete

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1338066491' post='1669307']
Hello Highfox,
Thanks for the reply, as per the question, do you have specific control settings for the shuttle?

thanks Pete
[/quote]

With a p bass Just setting it all flat with the gains at 12, should get you close..

I tend to run with all the EQ pretty much flat on the Shuttle, maybe boosting the low mid a touch, none of the switches in. Pre volumes around noon (off the top of my head, haven't used it in a while) and master volume to taste - have run out of clean headroom at 8 ohms but never really struggled at 4.

Other guys amp settings may not translate all that well for you as your bass and more importantly your playing technique will massively affect the input signal to your amp, so what works for someone else may be totally inappropriate for you. Always preferred the Genz set pretty flat with either of my basses though, and let the controls on the bass do the work.

I recall someone else on the forum having a similar issue some time back. I can't remember who it was though but it must have been about 2007 or 08 I think.

Have you considered changing the preamp valve? They're cheap to buy and its literally a pull out, plug in job once the amp cover comes off.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1338068327' post='1669347']
With a p bass Just setting it all flat with the gains at 12, should get you close..
[/quote]

Yep been using one for a few years now and thats where I am with various basses from Jazz, P and Musicman. Start with everything pointing up and maybe back off the input gain and boost the input volume (the preamp pair on the left) if its not as smooth as your after, it should sweep from smooth to pretty filthy just using those two knobs.

Also should be fine keeping up with that LH500 ;)

Ed's clips are always worth a watch in this respect too [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJYX2Fkpuzg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJYX2Fkpuzg[/url] :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1338109663' post='1669594']
watch it from nearly 7 mins on...... ;)
[/quote]Hi Pete,
Ed is a bit of a legend in my house, and i could, and have watched his vids for hours. Two things though, its not the sound I'm after, I have that with the LH500, I just want to replicate that sound on the shuttle, with the same kind of volume levels, and I thought I'd ask for settings advice on that specifically, and secondly, as a mere novice, I've found it near impossible to replicate any sort of sound from video, or CD etc as that has usually been through some processing before hand, so there is no guarantee that in the actual room infront of the speaker/amp etc sounded like the sound on the video/CD etc anyway.

I may change out the 12ax7 with one of a couple I have laying around, as that may clean things up higher in the volume range, otherwise its just an expensive practice amp :)
Cheers Pete

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1338112449' post='1669660']
That clip is more about a dirty sound but it really should be able to make a clean sound, remember the Streamliner was invented because of the cleanliness of the shuttle. Try a new valve and see what's what, fully clean I could call bingo numbers through mine as clear as a bell. :)
[/quote]Hi Pete,

Yeah, I can get clean, but not clean AND loud!, the cabs go farty on me at any decent volume, but dont stress at all with the LH500 inspite of higher volumes, hence the question about settings specifically. Input and gain at noon is certainly clean but thin and master nearing 4 o clock brings not much volume, just limiting, and farting. (speakers that is :) !!!)
chheers Pete

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1338109308' post='1669589']
Yep been using one for a few years now and thats where I am with various basses from Jazz, P and Musicman. Start with everything pointing up and maybe back off the input gain and boost the input volume (the preamp pair on the left) if its not as smooth as your after, it should sweep from smooth to pretty filthy just using those two knobs.

Also should be fine keeping up with that LH500 ;)

Ed's clips are always worth a watch in this respect too [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJYX2Fkpuzg[/media] :)
[/quote]

The name is NEO !!!!

(so who's Mr Anderson ?)

Something is wrong there mate, I have run a shuttle 3.0 and a 6.0 through various cabs for years, even the 3.0 through my 4ohm 2x12 does not need to be run at 4 oclock EVER! Not sure if a knackered preamp valve would lose all the gain to feed the master stage, I guess it could/would? 100% not right though and a very similar tale to someone else who had volume issues with a shuttle a few months back (can anyone remember that thread or its outcome?)

My 6.0 with everything at 12 oclock into any combo of big cabs rarely has the master volume knob above 11pm so Im sure its not right :)

Ah, I see,
the loud clean settings are classified and available only to veteran experienced players, vague answers only to the amateurs :( .
Looks like the shuttle shall be confined to the cupboard, then ebay/gumtree. Won't sell/trade on here as I'm unable to verify if it actually works properly or not, as no clean settings are forthcoming. It may, or maybe good, or bad, but as it stands it lacks the clean power of the LH500 by some way. No problems, things like this happen to everyone all the time. I shall have a look around, and maybe even buy another LH500 as back up.

Thanks to all for their input.
Mr Anderson appears to have won this thread :(

Cheers Pete

I dont understand what your saying either? The shuttle 6.0 is not lacking compared to the LH500, just that yours is!
I'm not withholding information from you I'm telling you that if your running the master at 4 o'clock it almost certainly has a fault.
One of the criticisms of the shuttle is its cleanliness but praised for its power, you are experiencing the reverse.

Where did it come from?
Has it always been like this?
:)

Apologies for the slight comedy moment OP, not intended to be unhelpful there.

The clip posted by stingrayPete1977 did appear to give some useful info about the input stages. The presenter seems indicate that a clean sound can be obtained by keeping the control on the far left at low levels, while turning up the other volume controls. If you don't find this with your amp, it may need inspection ? I havn't used a shuttle myself, but the clip does seem to be clear on that info.

BC is usually a helpful friendly place. Perhaps other Shuttle owners will be along soon.

All the best in solving this one

Thanks for the replies guys, however, I just wanted some real world "CLEAN" settings to try to see if the shuttle could be a useful backup/alternative head to my LH500, nothing more really. The head is used and I got it as part of a trade, so I'm not going to cry to much if it turns out to be shot!. I shant be sending it to, or going to Bass Direct, it simply isnt worth the bother. I shall swap the valve with both my spare valve, and the one in the LH500 as I know that they both work just fine for my needs, and if not, then its the cupboard of no return for the amp :D . I have not played/owned many amps (6 including this one), so it may be that this particular handbag amp just isn't for me, and I will have to stay with the ones I know work for me, and what I want to acheive. (it was a nice idea though)!

Cheers Pete

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1338213377' post='1670882']
Thanks for the replies guys, however, I just wanted some real world "CLEAN" settings
[/quote]

Set the gain as low as possible to get an audible result. Don't put it higher than 9 o'clock. The rest at noon. Master section at taste. Don't push the signal shape buttons. This is a real world setting.

If the result isn't a clean sound, you've got a faulty unit.

[quote name='OmeDunk' timestamp='1338214536' post='1670898']
Set the gain as low as possible to get an audible result. Don't put it higher than 9 o'clock. The rest at noon. Master section at taste. Don't push the signal shape buttons. This is a real world setting.

If the result isn't a clean sound, you've got a faulty unit.
[/quote] I shall try these, although I think I may have done so already, and in any case I was after maximum clean volumes (as per my original post) and not "just" clean, as I have also already said I can get clean, but not clean AND loud.
It still may not be faulty either. It may be just a case of wrong sound for me, so I'm not sure if there is any certainty that the unit is faulty if I just don't like the sound :)

Cheers Pete