Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Ultralites?

benebass

Hi - thinking of swapping out some Fender-style Schaller heads for a set of Hipshot Ultralites to take a bit of weight off a bass I have. Just wondered if anyone else here had done it & what they thought - they're not cheap, so I'm wondering if it is worth the cash?

Also, does anyone know the cheapest place to get them over here? Might be cheaper to have them shipped from the States looking at some of the prices I've seen...

Cheers,

B.

I have ULs on all of mine. One was an upgrade and it definitely cured a neck dive issue. I like them so much I've specified them as orignal fit on all my custom Shukers. IMO you won't get better. The quality of the gearing is great and they never move. You won't regret it.

I bought my upgrade set off ebay and they did indeed come from the US.

P

I did the same thing to a Squier VMJ a while ago - total weight saving was around 160gm (5.6 ounces) so it does make a noticeable difference. Set of four will cost around £100 over here but there is a used set on ebay at the moment with a BIN price of £65 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hipshot-Ultralight-Bass-Tuners-/110885130556

I've fitted Ultra Lites a few times - depending on the weight of your original tuners they can make a huge difference.

I had a Sadowsky that was crazy neck heavy, worst balance of any bass I've ever owned but the Ultras transformed it.

I remember weighing the difference between the stock items and the Ultras and it was huge. If you think about the physics of having all that weight hanging off the end of the neck thrown way out to your left you can see how much difference it make to balance if you put lighter tuners on.

You can get them with Schaller or Fender type tuners as well :) Also in chrome, black & gold and different fittings (make sure you get the right size!)

I've always bought mine from the States, about £70 for four I think.

Thanks all! Had a look round & noticed that the ones with the 'Y' tuners are a bit lighter (and cheaper ;) ) than the ones with the Fender-style clover heads. The 'Y' tuners would be half the weight of the Schallers on at the mo compared to a third less with the clovers. Just not sure if it would look a bit weird to put those tuners on a Fender-style instrument - what do you reckon?

The bass I'm thinking of doing this to is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/150814-bass-doc-electric-iv/page__hl__electric%20iv"]here[/url]

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1338042427' post='1668936']
Excuse the cack handed retouching but looks OK to me

[attachment=108766:J+H IV.jpg]
[/quote]

Looks much better than anything I could do - looks OK to me too. Cheers!

B.

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1338039990' post='1668903']
Thanks all! Had a look round & noticed that the ones with the 'Y' tuners are a bit lighter (and cheaper ;) ) than the ones with the Fender-style clover heads. The 'Y' tuners would be half the weight of the Schallers on at the mo compared to a third less with the clovers. Just not sure if it would look a bit weird to put those tuners on a Fender-style instrument - what do you reckon?

The bass I'm thinking of doing this to is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/150814-bass-doc-electric-iv/page__hl__electric%20iv"]here[/url]

Cheers,

B.
[/quote]

The Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 comes with Y tuner as standard anyway - so fine in my book :)