Why become a member? ×

Another old newbie....

bideford

Hi, just wanted to be say hello!

I'm over 40 (actually, just just under 50...) and picked up an old Tanglewood Nevada P bass for next to nothing a couple on months ago (initially for my 11 year old boy) but have not put it down. Always wanted to play a guitar but never really tried until now - can't believe I left it this late to give it a go! Daughter (14yrs) is a drummer and the boy has been playing acoustic/electric and ukelele of a couple of years - guess they have given me the incentive to finally pull my finger out!

Anyway, the wife has bought me a Squire VM Jazz bass for my birthday in a couple of weeks so looking forward to giving the boy back his Tanglewood......

Cheers!

Hi Bideford,

Welcome to BC! I guess saying hello is just the first step of a long lasting relationship. Great site here.

Are you new to playing an instrument then.or just new to (bass) guitars? At any rate, you'll find loads of info here, and loads of stuff to discuss.
Some of what you wrote is easily recognisable to me: I played some clarinet because my daughter did, and some tuba because my son did. The instruments suddenly were readily available, one can say.

Anyway: enjoy!

best,
bert

Hi - thanks for the welcome!

Yes - totally new to playing an instrument! Brave or stupid who knows at my age.

Anyway, I have ploughed through one of the recommended bass crash course books (don't know if I am allowed to reference it here) and working my way through a scale book. The difference is quite amazing after only four weeks - cannot believe how well the bass fits into my addictive personality! I will seek some lessons shortly from my son's guitar teacher.

I am at the stage where I can happily learn/practice at home in front of the books but not yet confident (or good) enough to pick up a bass in a shop, plug in and give it a go without feeling an idiot! To be able to at least show that I can play (just a bit!) is my next target. Probably take a while yet methinks!

Anyway, enjoying the experience.....

Welcome Bideford. I learn a bloody site quicker at 54 than I did at 16 :lol: .
Enjoy it here.
Bet within a year you are out doing your first gig (but with some hits on the bank account :P ).
Enjoy, and never be afraid to ask,
Karl.

[quote name='bideford' timestamp='1338196561' post='1670541']
Brave or stupid who knows at my age.
[/quote]

I for one hope the answer is "brave", 'cause I started half a year ago, at 55.

recommended bass crash course books (don't know if I am allowed to reference it here)
[/quote]

Yes, you are.

cannot believe how well the bass fits into my addictive personality!
[/quote]

Ha! Great to read you are a normal and balanced, humanoid person!

I will seek some lessons shortly from my son's guitar teacher.
[/quote]

OK, then be a good boy:
Buy a 6 string SuperExtraShortscale bass, and string it with the thinnnest stuff you can find in the shed. Play him some bass chords. He'll love you for it.

not yet confident (or good) enough to pick up a bass in a shop, plug in and give it a go without feeling an idiot!
[/quote]

You _know_ the answer to that!
1) You _are_ an idiot.
2) Enter the shop.
3) Say "Hi, I am an idiot, but an idiot with money. I wanna compare stuff here. When I'm done making noise, is there someone here who can demo them for me as well, so I get an even better impression? Did I say I have a lot of Her Royal Majesty's Sovereigns?"

See, you DID know!

best,
bert

Hi Dave - sadly not given that Bideford is a lot nearer my favorirte surfing haunts than up North where I live (and no disrespect there to the North East Coast or North Wales!)

Thanks for the other welcoming posts.

karlfer - if I play a gig in 12 months you will be the first to know - brilliant comment and one that may just have planted a seed.......cheers!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1338198055' post='1670561']
I learn a bloody site quicker at 54 than I did at 16 :lol: .
[/quote]
Never a truer word spoken, I was only thinking about this a few days ago, I seem to learn a lot quicker than I use to, probably an age thing :D

[quote name='TinRoofCeilidh' timestamp='1338223277' post='1671079']
As a beginner on bass 2 years ago (at 65 then), I think you youngsters need to reconsider your use of the word "old".

I did consider starting an "arthritis" thread on this forum but decided against.

Happy playing
John
[/quote]
+ 1 from another John (& only 61) :P

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1338540183' post='1675934']
I put it down to thinking now, hormones then :lol:
[/quote]

How true. That, and at sixteen thinking you really don't need to learn anything because you're naturally gifted anyway.
What a stupid, lazy git I was... and to some extent, still am! :lol: