Why become a member? ×

Laurence Cottle Big Band - plays 'Donna Lee'

urb

This is pretty amazing - mainly for the fact that Laurie scored Jaco's solo - in full - for the brass section.... he plays walking bass underneath... just amazing - and SO musical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMNB6QbRTQ4

This was filmed over at a new studio complex in Wembley - not sure where exactly - but Laurie was given the chance to film/record there to 'test drive' the place. Looks and sounds like the place kinda rocks - they recorded all the Jaco tunes LC did for his tribute to Jaco last year. I'm slightly gutted as I could have been at this recording session but had other stuff to do that day... never mind!

[quote name='phil625sxc' timestamp='1337246606' post='1657592']
awesome, thanks for posting this - saw it at Ronnies last year and was blown away - is the rest of the recording up on youtube ?
[/quote]

The rest of the tunes are 'in the bag' apparently - so hang in there I think they will emerge soon - hopefully!

Urb/BassBod - It was done at my work and I worked on this session. LC & the band were just fantastic :D
We had just finished installing a 2nd digital sound desk and needed to do a thorough test of the system and its' features so one of the chaps at work knows Miles Boule (perc on this session) who set it all up.

It was a mutual benefit scenario as the cameras and lighting were done as a technical exercise where as the sound side of things was done properly. There also exists a full on DVD-A 5.1 version which is just stunning.

BTW It's not a new studio at all. It was done at Fountain Studios where the The Cube, X Factor & BGT amongst others are made and the studio opened in 1959! The footage is all SD, not HD and has been edited in Final Cut Pro.

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1337248939' post='1657651']
The rest of the tunes are 'in the bag' apparently - so hang in there I think they will emerge soon - hopefully!
[/quote]

hurrah !! :-)

[quote name='jonthebass' timestamp='1337249037' post='1657654']
There also exists a full on DVD-A 5.1 version which is just stunning.
[/quote]

would love to get me a copy of that !!! it's not planned for release is it ??

[quote name='jonthebass' timestamp='1337249037' post='1657654']
Urb/BassBod - It was done at my work and I worked on this session. LC & the band were just fantastic :D
We had just finished installing a 2nd digital sound desk and needed to do a thorough test of the system and its' features so one of the chaps at work knows Miles Boule (perc on this session) who set it all up.

It was a mutual benefit scenario as the cameras and lighting were done as a technical exercise where as the sound side of things was done properly. There also exists a full on DVD-A 5.1 version which is just stunning.

BTW It's not a new studio at all. It was done at Fountain Studios where the The Cube, X Factor & BGT amongst others are made and the studio opened in 1959! The footage is all SD, not HD and has been edited in Final Cut Pro.

Cheers,
Jon
[/quote]

Awesome stuff Jon - thanks for the info - I was only going on what Laurie told me about the recording session - he invited me along so it would have been nice to meet you as well - like I say I'm gutted I couldn't make it - though I did see the second set at Ronnie's and having spoken to the flautist Gareth Lockrane last night - even he said that the second set was pretty special - as Laurie himself said afterwards "I've played this club for 20 years and never been asked back to do two encores" - it was killing...

I've also got to say I particularly don't like the walking bass! The contemporary jazz groups I've seen over the last few years (Flat Earth Society, Phronesis, Curios, etc) are trying to get away from that old formula. This sounds a bit old fashioned to me.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1337250387' post='1657717']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I never liked the original tune and it's chord sequence anyway [/font][/color][/quote]

Do you mean the Miles version ?
If so , Donna Lee is based on the changes of Home again in Indiana, or back home in Indiana [or similar title]
Miles just put his melody to it - the rest is Parker [Jaco] history.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1337251212' post='1657745']
Do you mean the Miles version ?
If so , Donna Lee is based on the changes of Home again in Indiana, or back home in Indiana [or similar title]
Miles just put his melody to it - the rest is Parker [Jaco] history.

Garry
[/quote]

Yes, that one.

Is this some sort of Jaco tribute thing? I suppose if you're trying to be faithful to his arrangement it will limit you somewhat. (I don't understand 'tribute' projects)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1337252369' post='1657773']
Well yes, Just Bass & Conga's would leave you limited. :)

Garry
[/quote]

It's my idea of a nightmare job. Transcribing a dead bass player's busy solo for a big brass band... then playing a walking bass line under the whole thing.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1337253187' post='1657814']
Tried hard to like this but felt zero groove, or swing. Very messy sound from all those horns. IMO.

Put me in mind of the soundtrack from "Brassed Off", whilst coming up on LSD.
[/quote]

Wow - I think that's pretty harsh - fair enough if this music isn't your bag, but the playing is pretty spot on from all concerned IMO

[quote]
It's my idea of a nightmare job. Transcribing a dead bass player's busy solo for a big brass band... then playing a walking bass line under the whole thing.[/quote]

I think if you actually saw these guys on the gig with all the other re-arrangements of Jaco's stuff that Laurie's done then this would sound a little more in context - Jaco might well be long dead but his music is very much alive - and that's the point of this project - but hey if you don't like it then you don't like it... insert 'not my/your bag' and 'horses for courses' line here

Urb, what LC has don't here is very admirable but this performance does very little for me. I've just listened again but without watching the video and those horns don't sound good to my ears, it all sounded as if it was a massive chore to them. I felt no sense of fun or engagement from it.

Sorry about the Brassed Off bit. I wouldn't want to offend any colliery bands.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1337253493' post='1657828']

I think if you actually saw these guys on the gig with all the other re-arrangements of Jaco's stuff that Laurie's done then this would sound a little more in context - Jaco might well be long dead but his music is very much alive - and that's the point of this project - but hey if you don't like it then you don't like it... insert 'not my/your bag' and 'horses for courses' line here
[/quote]

Yes, but unfortunately there are lots of ways to kill music - any kind of music - that's the danger with tribute stuff. I like big brass bands so it's not just a case of 'it's not my bag'. I'm not suggesting he's killed the tune - but I am critical of this arrangement, and the 'tribute' idea - that's all.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1337254273' post='1657851']
Urb, what LC has don't here is very admirable but this performance does very little for me. I've just listened again but without watching the video and those horns don't sound good to my ears, it all sounded as if it was a massive chore to them. I felt no sense of fun or engagement from it.

Sorry about the Brassed Off bit. I wouldn't want to offend any colliery bands.
[/quote]

Great well I'm not going sit here and post endless messages defending LC and the players in his band - but I completely disagree with you - if you don't dig it fine but I think they play it just fine - I'm really not sure how they add more 'joy' into what they are playing but you obviously have a much better idea about how they would do that than I.

Sorry

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1337254722' post='1657863']
Yes, but unfortunately there are lots of ways to kill music - any kind of music - that's the danger with tribute stuff. I like big brass bands so it's not just a case of 'it's not my bag'. I'm not suggesting he's killed the tune - but I am critical of this arrangement, and the 'tribute' idea - that's all.
[/quote]

Again - sorry I wasted your time posting this annoying piece of music that you don't like and have spent so long considering and being distracted by... I really won't bother again.

I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I liked it. Then again I like most stuff LC does, and with Ian Thomas swinging like a trd.... great playing.

LC and Ian Thomas can be seen (for free) regularly at Boaters in Kingston, also Ian and Phil Mulford. Getting up close to playing of this quality is a very sobering experience.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1337255001' post='1657871']
Again - sorry I wasted your time posting this annoying piece of music that you don't like and have spent so long considering and being distracted by... I really won't bother again.
[/quote]

please, please do bother, for the sake of those of us who really appreciate & enjoy this kind of thing - for me the Ronnies gig was probably the best show I've ever seen, I was literally jumping out of my seat watching that band, they were incredible !
Just remember, you can't please all the people all the time... ;-)