Why become a member? ×

Stacking 2x10's vertically instead of horizontally?

molan

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337585434' post='1662184']
Exactly. & a cab the size & weight of a fruit machine is just what you need in there!....
[/quote]

That's good old "personal choice" working as intended. [i]Which is fine[/i].

The other "it depends" is exactly how much of a "problem" you are experiencing. I don't believe that all "problems" are consistently massive on every gig. There must be times when "problems" are small enough to be inconsequential.

This has to be a variable "problem" which is why players can [size=3]definitely [/size]get a good sound out of a 410, for example, even though some people tell we never can.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1337558531' post='1662078']
Which SVT driver are you thinking of? They've used loads, but the original CTS and the Eminence B810 that is supposed to cop its tone are the ones that made the mark, with plenty of quitary top. There nasty low mids and nothing else period I have noted somewhere where they used high power handling drivers with no top. I was going to do 2x10s that were a single section of the 8x10, but then I realised I'd just invented the guitar cab.
[/quote]

Hmm, I'm not sure which drivers I'd have heard but the graph for a single Legend B810 matches well with what my ears hear when there's 8 of them
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_B810.pdf
It's already strong in the low mids (maximal ~150-300Hz) and shy in the upper mids, stick 8 together in a sealed box and you're really going to accentuate that as they sum coherently until around 500 or so then start combing above, which will roughly translate to a freq response heavily skewed to the low mids. Can't find a definitive graph but there's one from a Line 6 model on Greenboy's website showing a freq response that rolls downhill all the way from a few hundred Hz, you may have to be logged in to see the thread but it's there on google image search if you're interested.

Incidentally, for a more modern application, the Kappalite 3012HO is actually a great driver for using in multiples as it has a gently rising response all the way from ~300Hz - think this is what's in the BF Super 12? A couple of them stacked up would work very well. Or there's the 18Sound 10NMB420, which is pretty much perfect for this application and 16ohm to boot. That's definitely be my driver of choice for a pair of loud stacked 210s. http://www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product_simple&pid=274

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1337591152' post='1662272']
That's good old "personal choice" working as intended. [i]Which is fine[/i].

The other "it depends" is exactly how much of a "problem" you are experiencing. I don't believe that all "problems" are consistently massive on every gig. There must be times when "problems" are small enough to be inconsequential.

This has to be a variable "problem" which is why players can [size=3]definitely [/size]get a good sound out of a 410, for example, even though some people tell we never can.
[/quote]

All rigs have their pros & cons & it's up to each individual to choose what pros & cons they're willing to accept.
Topics like this one are good for getting a lot of information from all angles & then deciding what is going to suit you best.

A 4x10 usually will give you a good sound, but will probably lose clarity as you go off axis.
A rig like your one (which is very nice indeed) might have a better dispersion as the drivers are not directly horizontal, but sit almost diagonal.
Incidentally, have you tried them at a gig on their ends to see how it compares?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337603680' post='1662529']
....Incidentally, have you tried them at a gig on their ends to see how it compares?....
[/quote]

No. These things are loud enough where they are. The last thing I want is for them to be any closer to my ears!

If my cabs work because the speakers are at a diagonal then it should be acknowledged that at least one type of horizontal cab is ok.

This discussion is always too "black and white" and there are many shades of grey that work just as well.

I do hear my various rigs from off stage and I know what they sound like. Which is why I'm still banging my head on this particular brick wall!

No, I suspect he means that he knows how to mix his sound in the context of the bands he plays in, he wants and needs to hear everything and knows where and how to place his rig and if he should get that drastically wrong once in a blue moon as the room may have just that idiosyncratic shape, damping problem or some other curve ball...then he has others in the band who can correct it or advise and one or two trusted ears out front.

If people have to have cabs in their ears because that is the only way they can hear what is going on..who do you think is more likely getting it wrong and has no idea what they are doing or how to go about it.....??

If guys regularly come up to you and say 'love that bass sound' or 'I would love to be able to get that sound' 'excellent mix outfront', 'I could hear every note'...bla bla.. why should that bass player want to change anything..?

Edited by JTUK

The volume of the bass is balanced just right for the band (which is loud) so I don't want to turn down or blow my ears out with a cab behind my head. Sorry guys, but my rig is good as it is.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1337623696' post='1663020']
....Probably means loud in the sense of 'obnoxious mids that usually go past my legs', the ear is more sensitive in the mids, so they give a loudness impression....
[/quote]

What [i]are[/i] you talking about? "Probably" means you're guessing!

Have you heard me or any of my bands?

[quote name='Wally' timestamp='1337632284' post='1663281']
....the small footprint of stackable 2 2x10's make a great practical benefit when the bands given a pub corner not much bigger than the drummers kit to play out of....
[/quote]

But as I've said before, there is little benefit if you use a Gramma pad, so unless your cabs are significantly bigger than mine, which are vertical (17.5”) and horizontal (22.5”) a 5” difference, there really is little space to be gained here.

Edited by Hamster

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1337632658' post='1663292']
Why on earth would I want to do that?

The volume of the bass is balanced just right for the band (which is loud) so I don't want to turn down or blow my ears out with a cab behind my head. Sorry guys, but my rig is good as it is.
[/quote]

I've tried vertically stacking 2x10s and it didn't work for me either mate! I use a dreaded 4x10 and wouldn't change it for the world.... Well... until I get a 2x10 to stack on top... HORIZONTALLY ;)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1337632658' post='1663292']
[/quote]

The distance change from ground to vertical stacked doesn't make an appreciable difference to overall spl (volume) because it doesn't change the distance from rig to your ears by very much. What it changes a lot is the frequency band by putting you closer to being on axis with the drivers, and thus receiving more midrange/highs.

Edit: worth noting that obnoxious mids tend to do good things for bass in the mix.

Edited by Mr. Foxen