Why become a member? ×

Fender paisley precision bass

Bones12

Hi guys,

Saw an awesome looking Fender precision in paisley pink today (not to everyone's taste I'm sure but I thought it looked wicked!); a quick google brought up some for sale pages that suggested it was a '54 reissue. Obviously without pics/serial number this might not be at all useful but anyone know much about these basses?

It was strikingly similar to this...[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175442-fender-paisley-precision-made-in-japan-back-up-for-sale/page__hl__paisley+bass__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

I had a quick noodle and thought it was superb, but thought I'd sleep on it and get some views from you basschatters before taking the plunge. I'm assuming that £200 is a good deal for one of these, should it indeed be one of the reissues..?

Edited by Bones12

Hi Bones12,
[b]I am almost certain this could be the same bass that went missing from Yodel in transit to me on Saturday 12 may. [/b]
The depot concerned, Newton Abbot have said to me that they think they have a thief in house, though they have still failed to involve the police as yet. Myself and the seller are trying to sort that at the moment.
Please can you or anyone else in the Plymouth area who is offered this or see it for sale get in touch with me, Neil on 07813692061 or the seller Riki on

ALSO,I STRONGLY ADVISE ANYONE SENDING ANYTHING TO DEVON VIA YODEL NEWTON ABBOT, TO THINK AGAIN, IT MAY WELL GO MISSING.

So I did buy this yesterday and saw the above post this morning - a case of if it's too good to be true, it probably is!

After talking with Neil, the bass has been returned to the shop and should be with it's rightful owner soon. Hopefully the idiot who nicked it will be caught too.

On the plus side, the bass was absolutely stunning and Neil is getting a wonderful bit of kit.

Thanks for your help with this, Bones. An amazing stroke of good fortune that you use this forum too! Thanks also to Vibes in Plymouth for their cooperation.

To say that myself and Neil, both busy chaps, have expended a fair bit of time and energy on this over the past five days would be an understatement.

As far as Yodel and the Newton Abbott depot are concerned, hopefully it is a case of bad apples rather than anything endemic. Hopefully some light can be made of it and the person responsible face appropriate consequences, As far as I am concerned, they are not only taking advantage of customers but their colleagues, supervisors and the company as a whole. That just isn't on.

I think this bears repeating - [b]Catalogue all of your gear. Record serial numbers and take detailed pictures. If there is anything specific to your instrument, such as damage, photograph it. Mark everything with a UV pen.[/b]

Once again, thanks to Bones. I am sorry for your loss ;)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1337344028' post='1658494']
Happy ending = well done basschat :)
[/quote]

Definately well done Basschat, and Bones12 for being a decent honest bloke, and to Riki the seller who has worked as hard as I have to try and get this sorted.
Not yet a happy ending though, as I now have to go through the bureaucracy of trying to get the bass back, starting with another time consuming trip to the police station this Sunday to make a statement!
As for Yodel, despite the fact that this was obviously nicked from thier depot they have still failed to report it to the police.

[b]I can only reiterate, don't send anything via Yodel Newton Abbot depot for the forseeable future as it may well go missing[/b] :(

Whoever is doing this knows that Yodel's system for flagging problems is so slow, that as in this case, the item has been sold on twice before they'll even admit it's gone missing. And even then only after I told them that we'd traced it to the second purchaser. As of the time of writing this they still haven't reported it to the police, which leads me to believe I may still have problems getting it back.

OK, rant over, I'll keep you all posted as to how this pans out, by the way did I mention to avoid Yodel!! :P

Thanks again Bones and Riki.

Fingers cross that Neil gets the bass in good time and whoever is responsible is made to pay. This sort of thing is way too common. I will say, the bass was posted in a television box. The thief must have been disappointed when he opened it up.

The shop that bought it initially have told me that they'll take the hit for what they paid for it, so fingers crossed I should be ok, other than the huge amount of time and phone calls.

And yes, a huge stroke of luck, combined with a rare and unusual instrument that was easy to spot, and a thick as pigsh*t scrote who took it to a shop to sell.
Plus of course this wonderful community on here :D

Mind you, as I said earlier, I haven't got it yet!

I am currently having a hassle with Yodel over their non-delivery of a bass to me. The seller is doing all he can to sort this out. Yodel are hopeless. They don't seem to care a jot when complaints are made. This is not the first time they have let me down badly. They have also let others down. To see my post of woe go to the link below. It is currently the last post:-

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/156589-couriers-packing/page__pid__1659485__st__60#entry1659485"]http://basschat.co.u...60#entry1659485[/url]

Edited by Hutton

All I can say is hassle them as much as possible, luckily I am only 4 miles from their depot, so was able to go in, which seemed to actually get thigs moving, though not as quickly as I would have liked, and they still haven't reported the bass as stolen!
I can only agree with you Hutton, they couldn't care less. If we hadn't tracked down my bass I'm sure they'd still be making lame excuses.

I suppose it is a bit comforting to know that others have had the same problems. The annoying thing in my case is that Yodel wouldn't or couldn't tell me either the phone number or location of their Inverness depot so that I could make enquiries locally. Unfortunately this is not an isolated example of the gross inefficiencies crippling British industry.

Yodel finally reported this to the police at about 11.45 this morning, over three full days after we provided them with evidence that the bass had been stolen, and ater I lost my temper with one of thier line managers. This after telling myself, 'dont lose your rag, it doesn't help', but frankly the speed at which they are moving would test the patience of a saint!