Why become a member? ×

String change before recordings?

El Bajo

Got a pack of D'Addarios steels which I will put on tonight, It'll be a first for me, should be right by Thursday.

Isn't weird when you've been playing for years, in my case 15, and you turn up to a music shop and have to ask for assistance over something so trivial. I felt like I'd just picked up a bass. I really should learn more about my instrument.

Don't forget to check your setup afterwards, I went from Roto steels to Prosteels and needed to tweak the truss rod because of the tension difference, you might find the intonation needs tweaking as well.

Edited by MrTaff

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1337087267' post='1655142']
pah! Studios are expensive versions of a laptop and a couple of decent mics.
[/quote]

vs:-

Yup, gotcha, I can see whats going on here, yeah thats it, total reality failure :D

I like to have them worn in a little For a few reasons. They will stay in tune better. They won't rattle on the frets as much. They will be less likely to chew up my fingers when I have to play the same phrase 18 times on the trot because I keep cocking it up.
I used a week old set of D'Addario Pro Steels at a days recording last Saturday and they sounded very lively still.

[quote name='El Bajo' timestamp='1337077705' post='1654889']
I'm due in the studio on Thursday (Damn I love saying that, in reality its someones shed and a laptop) and I've had my string on for about a month. I can't make my mind up, do I go for the nicely worn in strings or get a fresh set on there? Baring in mind its dropped tunings anyway.

Also I have the choice between Rotosound or D'Addario, what do you guys think?

Ta
[/quote]

Listening to the demo I would definitely have new strings on - and a spare set too. Play them in for a couple of hours to make sure they are stable.

As already said beware changing brands and gauges as it might have an impact on action and intonation.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1337086993' post='1655136']

With all due respect - that is utter rubbish.

You've clearly never been in on a really good tracking session, in a decent studio.

New strings everytime - absolutely definitelywith that genre. You can get brilliance eq'ed out with a gentle cut, you cant add harmonic content into the sound of old strings, and that is what will make the bass heard against the guitars and over laptop speakers.

Old strings maybe OK for MoTown (not necessarily tru either in fact ) but they are definietly the right way to go for rock, pop, funk, and pretty much everything else when recording.
[/quote]
This. Particularly if you're playing metal, there's plenty that will add warmth but nothing that will add the brightness and harmonic content of fresh strings. Reading back, I realise I've mostly just repeated Simon's post, bears repeating though.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1337081160' post='1654991']
No doubt. If you can afford him/her. I do prefer an edgy sound which is best captured on the fly and doesn't require a highly paid genius.
[/quote]

Its really doen to bad engineers squashing everything under and L2:(!!

Amazing if they dont use that abd just mix the levels as close as they can amazing how much life pops out :£