Why become a member? ×

London Guitar Show

3V17C

[url="http://www.londoninternationalmusicshow.com/lgslive.html"]http://www.londoninternationalmusicshow.com/lgslive.html[/url]

might have to get my lazy self down there for the day - Billy Sheehan doing 1 hr live slot, and also Paul Gilbert later on (guitar i know but....) I've not been for a few years anyhoo, though think i'll take ear plugs this time as all the constant widdling as you wander around the exhibition can seriously hurt your brain after a while!!!

peace

c

Last year's LGS was fairly poor bass-wise (Music Live in Birmingham was far, far better). Unless you were into Warwicks, there was little on display and even those who had come brought mainly their more mainstream creations (Vigier I'm looking at you). For me the interesting basses were the Lace Helix prototypes.

Also the bass area should be considered an embarrassment to all concerned. Two Markbass stacks in a room that was almost impossible to find did not live up to the description in the pre-show publicity. If the sponsors want bass players to take them seriously in the future I hope they will rectify this at the 2008 show.

While I still have a soft spot for Sheehan - he is great in his own long-haired, finger-tapping way - this looks like a nightmare for bass players - looking at the list of exhibitors there's almost sod all for bass players - looks like even good old Bernie Goodfellow and his usually great EBS stand won't be there - so that leaves Warwick...mmm, great. Seriously it looks like a guitarist heaven and bass hell, it's a damn shame there isn't something better in the UK - I know the Musik Messe is in Germany but it does have a brilliant range of stuff and loads of great bass gear - why the f*** can't the UK get its act together and do something along those lines?

I agree - the show last year was a real letdown for bass players. There was a 'Bass Studio' section that me and Kiwi went to and left bitterly disappointed as there was just a Markbass 610 and some bloke with a Streamer.

Vigier will have their new series 4 passion and Arpege basses with them this year - and get this, they asked me to play on the stand as part of the show so I am making a 15 min 'set' to play on the Friday. It is basically going to be a collection of various grooves to show off the basses, no tappy widdly stuff.

So- if that isn't enough to put you off, nothing will!!

There's even a drummer live bit.

Why nothing for bass players, perhaps BGM could organize something for next year.

I went two years ago and thought it a total waste of time, except for Laurence Cottle and Jeff Berlin, but if EBS/GB aren't there this year, then it really would be an even bigger waste of time.

[quote name='ped' post='180481' date='Apr 19 2008, 02:06 PM']Vigier will have their new series 4 passion and Arpege basses with them this year - and get this, they asked me to play on the stand as part of the show so I am making a 15 min 'set' to play on the Friday. It is basically going to be a collection of various grooves to show off the basses, no tappy widdly stuff.[/quote]

Can you persuade them to bring a fretless with a delta metal board? That would make a visit for me worthwhile.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='180566' date='Apr 19 2008, 04:46 PM']Can you persuade them to bring a fretless with a delta metal board? That would make a visit for me worthwhile.[/quote]

I am not sure if they have made one yet but will find out for you. I will bring mine though probably which you are welcome to check out

Thanks!

I would love the opportunity to try one, either yours or a new one. Actually if there are any new fretless Passion or Arpeges available that would be better for me as the way things are going at the moment, if I still find I like them it seems there's more chance of buying one new than waiting in vain for an old one to turn up second hand...

[quote name='3V17C' post='179770' date='Apr 18 2008, 02:21 PM'][url="http://www.londoninternationalmusicshow.com/lgslive.html"]http://www.londoninternationalmusicshow.com/lgslive.html[/url]

might have to get my lazy self down there for the day - Billy Sheehan doing 1 hr live slot, and also Paul Gilbert later on (guitar i know but....) I've not been for a few years anyhoo, though think i'll take ear plugs this time as all the constant widdling as you wander around the exhibition can seriously hurt your brain after a while!!!

peace

c[/quote]
We're planning a band outing Haven't done that since the old Shows in Wembley probably 20 years ago.

Billy Sheehan could be good & I saw Paul Gilbert when he did the Wembley show a few years back. First time I saw his version of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-sy62EIeVo&feature=related"]2become1[/url] :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='180574' date='Apr 19 2008, 04:56 PM']Thanks!

I would love the opportunity to try one, either yours or a new one. Actually if there are any new fretless Passion or Arpeges available that would be better for me as the way things are going at the moment, if I still find I like them it seems there's more chance of buying one new than waiting in vain for an old one to turn up second hand...[/quote]

OK mate I will find out for you and let you know :0)

I saw Billy S live just over a year ago in LA playing with Steve Vai - great gig & Sheehan was awesome.

"Support" acts on the bill were Satriani, Gilbert, Dweezil Zappa, Lukather, Hiland, Henderson, etc. etc..

Personally I thought Sheehan blew the rest of them away but Gilbert was great as well.

Vai was pretty impressive but "Satch" leaves me cold.

Ooooh, I haven't been to a show since a BMF about 18 (?) years ago. Saw John Entwhistle give a little amp demo (can't remember which make, Trace Elliot maybe) and he was excellent. He was just sitting on a stool noodling away and a few of us crowded round him to watch. Took me a while to work out who he was.

:blush: