Why become a member? ×

JV - P How much? Maybe I should put mine up?

If that JV sells for that I shall eat my pants.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-SQUIER-EARLY-JV-SERIES-82-PRECISION-EARLY-H-STCK-LOGO-100-ORIGINAL-CASED-/251057190730?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a742cb74a"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a742cb74a[/url]

Edit: and the scratchplate does not look original to me - it's too red and only 3 ply
Mine is browner and 4 ply and i know mines original coz[i] I bought it new.[/i]

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1336739209' post='1650242']
If that JV sells for that I shall eat my pants.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-SQUIER-EARLY-JV-SERIES-82-PRECISION-EARLY-H-STCK-LOGO-100-ORIGINAL-CASED-/251057190730?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a742cb74a"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a742cb74a[/url]

Edit: and the scratchplate does not look original to me - it's too red and only 3 ply
Mine is browner and 4 ply and i know mines original coz[i] I bought it new.[/i]
[/quote]
I know what you are saying. Thus guy has been flagged on here before. I think he sticks them up in the hope some mug will fall for his spin. It's a nice guitar but probably not £1200 nice.

That one does have the Fender logo though, which are supposedly rarer than yours with the Squier logo.

See one (or a pair) for sale here for £1200 also: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174713-feeler-pair-of-1st-series-jv-basses-pj-rare/page__hl__jv%20jazz%20precision"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174713-feeler-pair-of-1st-series-jv-basses-pj-rare/page__hl__jv%20jazz%20precision[/url]

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1336741767' post='1650293']
That one does have the Fender logo though, which are supposedly rarer than yours with the Squier logo.

See one (or a pair) for sale here for £1200 also: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174713-feeler-pair-of-1st-series-jv-basses-pj-rare/page__hl__jv%20jazz%20precision"]http://basschat.co.u...azz%20precision[/url]
[/quote]
True but does that really make it double+ (??guessing??) the price (particularly with non-original scratchplate) ???

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1336741767' post='1650293']

See one (or a pair) for sale here for £1200 also: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174713-feeler-pair-of-1st-series-jv-basses-pj-rare/page__hl__jv%20jazz%20precision"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174713-feeler-pair-of-1st-series-jv-basses-pj-rare/page__hl__jv%20jazz%20precision[/url]
[/quote]
I didn't notice that. Yes that does change the goalpost slightly.

Just because it's different to your plate does not mean it's not original. Back in those days there was a right mix up of Jap/USA parts being used. Of course I'm no expert and you could well be right, but I wouldn't jump the gun unless you are confident!

I have the 'pair' referred to above.

With respect, I'm afraid you're wrong on the plate, the original 1st series (only made for 3 months), have 3 ply guards (Black/White/Tort).

The plate looks right to me, I can't see any reference in the ad to it being a 3 or 4 though?

I don't know what model you have, but the original guards are what they call red tort, if yours is the brown tort, then to my knowledge (Pretty good on JV's), its not original. If you have a later version though, it may be, I dont know much about the later models.

This is priced right for a 1st series JV in my opinion, they are extremely rare. The later Squier decal basses are typically around half the price of these. The Jazz's are a little more than the P's too. In a more bouyant market this would have been sold at this price.

The JVs are worth every penny, I currently own two (Squier logo versions) one is all original - and for sale - the other has a bridge pickup and some later parts fitted but its a keeper for sentimental reasons. These basses sound right and look the business, both of mine are light and supremely comfortable to play. I've only played two bad JVs one because it had been badly treated and had a misaligned retrofit bridge. The second because the fingerboard had been sanded down too much when some bright spark had decided to turn it into fretless...and changed their mind. These were not factory issues the quality control is pretty much spot on. Rick's Fine is correct with the price of the Fender logo'd version even in these troubled times. To find one that hasn't had the Squier or Made in Japan decals rubbed off is a pretty rare thing in itself. It's worth noting that the Japanese are reclaiming many exported JVs because of their investment potential.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1336764179' post='1650842']
I have the 'pair' referred to above.

With respect, I'm afraid you're wrong on the plate, the original 1st series (only made for 3 months), have 3 ply guards (Black/White/Tort).

The plate looks right to me, I can't see any reference in the ad to it being a 3 or 4 though?

I don't know what model you have, but the original guards are what they call red tort, if yours is the brown tort, then to my knowledge (Pretty good on JV's), its not original. If you have a later version though, it may be, I dont know much about the later models.

This is priced right for a 1st series JV in my opinion, they are extremely rare. The later Squier decal basses are typically around half the price of these. The Jazz's are a little more than the P's too. In a more bouyant market this would have been sold at this price.
[/quote]
Yes this is a fair price in fact if I was a little more flush I'd make an offer on one of your two. Not an
Option at the moment though.

that seems about right. It's been up on ebay for a while- eventually it will sell.
All I know is I'm very fortunate to have mine- a cracking bass and worth every penny as a player even if the collectors value of it is a bit lost on me.

Let me put it this way- if I did sell mine for £1200 (which I couldn't as I don't have the original pup - anyone got one they want to sell me?) even secondhand I can't think of a bass that would come close on playability and tone for that kind of money.

If I had the money both of Rick's JV would have been mine within 5 min of him posting his ad.

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1336778803' post='1651123']
Let me put it this way- if I did sell mine for £1200 (which I couldn't as I don't have the original pup - anyone got one they want to sell me?)
[/quote]

The pickup you need is sitting in my '58 project Relic ('57 JV), currently in the FS thread. You can buy it, switch the pups, get your JV back up to full value, then sell on the '58. Everyone's a winner!! :lol:

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1336764179' post='1650842']

[/quote]

I have a Fiesta Red 62 JV serial JV80694 which I have owned from new. It is 100% original. it has a brown tort 4ply plate. The original 62 Fenders did too. The Japanese tried to make the 62JV as authentic a reissue as possible and my understanding is that all the 62 JVs had brown 4ply plates. The 62s are the ones with the rosewood boards - the 57s have maple boards.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1336779516' post='1651136']
I have a Fiesta Red 62 JV serial JV80694 which I have owned from new. It is 100% original. it has a brown tort 4ply plate. The original 62 Fenders did too. The Japanese tried to make the 62JV as authentic a reissue as possible and my understanding is that all the 62 JVs had brown 4ply plates.
[/quote]

Trust me, all of what you said is not true, you have been misinformed.

Your JV is a late one from the SN, so I'm guessing 1984, I have seen all sorts of guards on these, including brown, so I'm sure it is original (I actually said in my quote that i didn't know much about the later ones, as they've never interested me). I was talking about the first issue JV's as the OP referred. They all have 3-ply tort guards (Except for the '57 obviously, which had a single ply white). Original Fenders ('59-'65) did not have a brown tort guard. They had a nitrate tort guard, more red, often referred to as pepperoni. (Pic attached below, of a 1960 guard next to my 2 JV's, pics quite dark though)

The 1st series JV's [i]were[/i] very authentic, right down to the close thread tuners, body routs, contours etc. But these soon deteriorated from as early as June 1982, when the first changes were made. Numerous changes were made to the specs until the final JV's in late '84, which bore little resemblance to the first series.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1336780277' post='1651145']
Trust me, all of what you said is not true, you have been misinformed.
Original Fenders ('59-'65) did not have a brown tort guard. They had a nitrate tort guard, more red, often referred to as pepperoni.

[/quote]
It surprises me that the original Fenders were red rather than brown - every one I've ever seen is brown rather than red (unless it's been replaced).
I am 100% sure the 62 was 4 ply though.
It is on every reissue Fender (as opposed to Squier - I am well aware of the CV having 3ply) have ever made and I am surprised that the Squier JV 62s ever came with a 3ply as that is such a basic error. Mine was definitely manufactured with a 4ply plate.
The one in your pic in the left looks 4ply to me I can see a black line splitting the white. - or am I seeing things?

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1336780931' post='1651157']
It surprises me that the original Fenders were red rather than brown - every one I've ever seen is brown rather than red (unless it's been replaced).
It is on every reissue Fender (as opposed to Squier - I am well aware of the CV having 3ply) have ever made and I am surprised that the Squier JV 62s ever came with a 3ply as that is such a basic error. Mine was definitely manufactured with a 4ply plate.
The one in your pic in the left looks 4ply to me I can see a black line splitting the white. - or am I seeing things?
[/quote] I think the one on the left is actually an original from 1962, like actually from 1962

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1336781344' post='1651164']
I think the one on the left is actually an original from 1962, like actually from 1962
[/quote]
I know and it looks like it has a 4ply.
As does my 1984 JV62RI

My point is JVs were supposed to be authentic reissues. How were they ever made with 3ply plates? That is such an obvious error.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1336779494' post='1651135']
The pickup you need is sitting in my '58 project Relic ('57 JV), currently in the FS thread. You can buy it, switch the pups, get your JV back up to full value, then sell on the '58. Everyone's a winner!! :lol:
[/quote] I had actually thought of that, but that would only be worth me doing if I wanted to sell on my one, otherwise its just a set of pickups in a drawer somewhere in my room. Not really the priority of a collector but I only accidentally ended up with this bass as a player rather than as a collector.

(plus it costs a fair bit more than my JV did!)

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1336781468' post='1651169']
I know and it looks like it has a 4ply.
As does my 1984 JV62RI

My point is JVs were supposed to be authentic reissues. How were they ever made with 3ply plates? That is such an obvious error.
[/quote] the screws will be metric sizes too. Maybe the copies they were making before they made JV had 3 ply and they had a stock to use? The 21frets site points out a difference in the make up of the WBW start plates too. I think maybe yes they aimed for a vintage replica- but they were also making kinda budget basses, I think some of the early stats had a different fingerboard radius as they used up pre squier necks- an even more obvious error!

My point- they are good instruments- and people want them because of the rarity I think more than them being perfect replicas. Could you buy more of a playable bass secondhand with £1200, aye possibly.

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1336780931' post='1651157']
[/quote]

The one on the left in my pic is an original from '60, and its 4 ply, as should be W/B/W/T, as would a '62, as you say. The first JV's (I'm talking first 2 months here), were 3-ply.

I've never seen a brown tort guard on an original vintage Fender, and I know my vintage Fenders. I think you are just describing the originals as brown yourself, which is maybe personal interpretation (To be fair, when looked at alone, they could easily be described as brown, but when put alongside a reissue brown tort guard, the difference will be obvious). The red ones (Whilst not very accurate still), are far more a match for the originals than brown. Brown just looks wrong. Fender have never managed to accurately make good torty guards though. I've seen Custom Shop stack knob Jazz's for sale at £2500, with a shocking brown guard, that just looks terrible. They still sell 'em though!

[quote name='mushers' timestamp='1336815353' post='1651379']
i have to ask why does that bass on ebay have a strap button on the bak of the headstock ? was that the norm
[/quote]
yeah, Leo Fender thought people might want to wear them like acoustic guitars so something

[quote name='mushers' timestamp='1336815353' post='1651379']
i have to ask why does that bass on ebay have a strap button on the bak of the headstock ? was that the norm
[/quote]

It was so that upright bass players could play the bass in the upright position if they desired, more than likley to persuade doubtfull upright players to switch to the "new" style. I have never seen a pic of anyone using one like that though.

Jez