Why become a member? ×

JV Squier Precision Bass 1983 MIJ Traded thanks

ash

Here is my superb Squier JV series Precision Bass. This is one of the early first issue Squier logo'd basses from 1983, for those in the know these were the basses that raised the standards by which all contemporary Fenders were judged!

This bass is in excellent condition and is all original, the only non original parts are the inclusion of an aftermarket thumbrest and a chrome bridge cover - I don't believe that the JVs actually shipped with a thumbrest or covers ( cover not pictured as I don't like them and it was painted black for some reason when I got it!) hence my suspicion they are non original parts.
All electrics function perfectly and the pickup sounds just right with a surprising amount of tonal variation. The neck is superb with a sixties style profile and dark rosewood board. Frets are near perfect thanks to the fact it has spent most of its life strung with flats. Action is nice and low, even at all points on the neck. The bass plays really well and has good balance. It weighs just a shade over 7lbs!
Cosmetically there are a few minor blemishes to the finish but nothing nasty. The bass looks fantastic, it has been played and gigged regularly but has been very well looked after. I have pictures of the neck stamps and electrics if required.
I'm not looking for trades on this one I'm looking for a cash sale preferably picked up in person.
These are very sought after basses amongst players and have deservedly got the reputation as being the Japanese equivalent of the pre CBS Fender.
I'm looking for £650 firm or [i]possible[/i] trades for a more modern US maple fingerboard Fender Precision or US G&L bass again with maple fingerboard or a Gibson Grabber. I'd also consider part trade/cash for a Fender Telecaster guitar preferably a US made one or a Roadworn. A decent double bass too. Not bothered about anything else.
Cheers

Edited by ash

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1336684563' post='1649617']
NOOOOOOO must resist!! Bought a wicked JV P/J off Ash last year, already paid for itself several times with gig money. Top guy to deal with!
[/quote]
how many he have?

[quote name='Nate' timestamp='1336685527' post='1649635']
I've been looking for a year of my birth bass... Damn, this is tempting...
[/quote]

and a damn fine bass too!

[quote name='Fitz' timestamp='1336687330' post='1649673']
Hmmmmmm....donuts! ...as Homer would say...

Looks good Mr A. Trying to look away...erk...
[/quote]

HMMM I could always do you a trade for a certain bass!!!!! ;)

Hiya Ash

The Jazz is a problem, as it's the only bass (guitar!) I've had for the last 20-odd years. Feeling tempted to 'extras' now, maybe a Precison (style), and as the Deity Lemmy plays a Ricky I am sure there must be one somewhere on the horizon! Heaven knows what I'd do with one of those! 8-p

I'm sure guitars and basses used to be easier...there seem to be a million 'signature', 'reissue', 'custom shop', 'relic' efforts now... Did you not used to have choice of Fender, Fender Squier, Gibson, Ibanez and Kay (!!) ?...and one model of each in a choice of 3 colours??

Would like to think that P sounds and plays 'as good as it should' - if so, should make you smile. The Squier JV still makes me laugh, as most folks think it must be a £50 munter! How wrong!

Edited by Fitz

[quote name='KevinJazzBass' timestamp='1336688906' post='1649697']
Great bass but I'm really looking for a fiesta red one. Have a bump on me anyway!
[/quote]garath has a fiesta red jazz one

[quote name='Fitz' timestamp='1336688704' post='1649692']

I'm sure guitars and basses used to be easier...there seem to be a million 'signature', 'reissue', 'custom shop', 'relic' efforts now... Did you not used to have choice of Fender, Fender Squier, Gibson, Ibanez and Kay (!!) ?...and one model of each in a choice of 3 colours??

[/quote]

This is as good a JV Precision as you will get! Yes there are a lot of basses out there and that's why I stick to what I know! I have a decent collection these days, but the basses I come back to are my old Gibson Grabber and my '77 Fender - they just work. As for Rickenbacker's have you seen my green one posted elsewhere...now that is a rock 'n' roll bass fit for a Lemmy!

Reducing the price to £680 for a quick sale its also advertised elsewhere at a higher price. This is a chance to get your hands on the equivalent of a custom shop without the massive price tag and with real history!

Yep it really is light just over 7lbs I'd say, it balances perfectly, its lighter than my other JV, feels strange when you pick it up initially and then it resonates so well! Physics? Alchemy?Magical properties? How did they do it?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1336818516' post='1651446']
Is this really just over 7lb? Does it balance on a strap OK?
[/quote] I saw this ad and thought you might come asking about it. :)