Why become a member? ×

Advice/Info on Status Shark

LukeFRC

My first bass was a status Shark.

It looked like this:

lovely for a first bass.
And a while back I started asking around to see if anyone had one.
And someone I was talking too (not on bas chat) got back to me, and has one of the earlier ones, single chrome pickup in what looks like the P position (?) and active circuit.
Well, I had thought to spend my money elsewhere on a ACG preamp for the Warwick, but he's offered what seems a good price on it (i.e. less than the ACG preamp) I wondered if any one had opinions on this model of Shark bass model? I'm torn
Look like this:

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1336607047' post='1648486']
no opinions, but that sunburst one is lush
[/quote]
my first bass, warm tone. got superseded by a P bass as needed more punch in the band I was in. - tried finding out where it went, passed around basschat for a while then 5 owners later traded part exchange into a shop and they think it went overseas. Top top top quality bass, great neck. Oh well, sold it for a warwick streamer.

The other one I've kinda been offered is natural with a tort scratch plate like this.... it's cheap for what it is.... but a good buy for me??
(ps if anyone else is interested PM me)

I know I'm biased, but I don't think you can go wrong with any Status bass. The wooden necked Status basses from the 90s are such good value as they are not in as much demand as graphite necks. Haven't played a Shark but I do have a wooden necked Electro and that is just exquisite.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1336631695' post='1648526']
I know I'm biased, but I don't think you can go wrong with any Status bass. The wooden necked Status basses from the 90s are such good value as they are not in as much demand as graphite necks. Haven't played a Shark but I do have a wooden necked Electro and that is just exquisite.
[/quote]

yeah I love the necks. Dialemma i have is would i play it enough to justify having? I have a P bass and this is the same placement. hmmm

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1336637454' post='1648607']
yeah I love the necks. Dialemma i have is would i play it enough to justify having? I have a P bass and this is the same placement. hmmm
[/quote]
I'm not a big fan of the P bass sound but just watching Django Django on Later and that guy's P sounded great. Just right for that music anyway.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1336607451' post='1648491']
my first bass, warm tone. got superseded by a P bass as needed more punch in the band I was in. - tried finding out where it went, passed around basschat for a while then 5 owners later traded part exchange into a shop and they think it went overseas. Top top top quality bass, great neck. Oh well, sold it for a warwick streamer.

The other one I've kinda been offered is natural with a tort scratch plate like this.... it's cheap for what it is.... but a good buy for me??
(ps if anyone else is interested PM me)
[/quote]

Something strange going on with this bass if you ask me... What's with the string spacing at the nut? That knob situation looks a bit iffy too.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1336643027' post='1648734']
Something strange going on with this bass if you ask me... What's with the string spacing at the nut? That knob situation looks a bit iffy too.
[/quote]

well thats just a google search of a similar bass. The one I'm looking at is 4 string and kosher

I can recall trying a natural shark with a single pickup passive tone and tortoiseshell pickguard back in the 90's in Soundcontrol in St Mary's St in Edinburgh. The neck was fantastic to play played a few wooden necked status basses since and they all feel nice and fast, but the sound was almost p-bass but If i recall it lacked a bit of oomph.

might give you a new sound with flats/rounds (whatever you dont have on your p bass).

jonnybass

Edited by jonnybass

[quote name='jonnybass' timestamp='1336653248' post='1648931']
I can recall trying a natural shark with a single pickup passive tone and tortoiseshell pickguard back in the 90's in Soundcontrol in St Mary's St in Edinburgh. The neck was fantastic to play played a few wooden necked status basses since and they all feel nice and fast, but the sound was almost p-bass but If i recall it lacked a bit of oomph.

might give you a new sound with flats/rounds (whatever you dont have on your p bass).

jonnybass
[/quote]

Yeah, that was pretty much the sound of my old shark too. fantastic to play- lacked a bit of oommf
I think i'll let it pass and go with a preamp on my Warwick- if I bought it I would probably just end up modding it somehow (mm pup?) and mmeh not the time or money at the mo

If anyone else wants it give me a shout and I can pass on details....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1336605912' post='1648481']
My first bass was a status Shark.

It looked like this:

lovely for a first bass.
And a while back I started asking around to see if anyone had one.
And someone I was talking too (not on bas chat) got back to me, and has one of the earlier ones, single chrome pickup in what looks like the P position (?) and active circuit.
Well, I had thought to spend my money elsewhere on a ACG preamp for the Warwick, but he's offered what seems a good price on it (i.e. less than the ACG preamp) I wondered if any one had opinions on this model of Shark bass model? I'm torn
Look like this:

[/quote]

Yes got one myself. Shark Pro-active. Killer action

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1336767116' post='1650902']
Yes got one myself. Shark Pro-active. Killer action
[/quote]
just a question... does it look like my old one? Just only a handful about, and it could be the same one!

Same model and colour scheme - lovely tobacco sunburst but definitely not yours! I've had mine from new.

They're a great bass as you'll know. Nice flat fingerboard. Not much tonal variation, even from the actives but what it does, it does well.

visog

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1336825514' post='1651595']
Same model and colour scheme - lovely tobacco sunburst but definitely not yours! I've had mine from new.

They're a great bass as you'll know. Nice flat fingerboard. Not much tonal variation, even from the actives but what it does, it does well.

visog
[/quote]
:) so they made two. Yeah, I had it and couldn't help feeling that in a small band it would be quite nice. warm and a bit polite I found it. My guess is if you stuck the same pickups on a graphite bass they would give it a bit of warmth, on a wood bass it gets very warm and gentle.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1336829925' post='1651659']
The original pic you posted looks lovely.
[/quote]
it was nice. Bit polite, and very high string tension for some reason. Also photography courses at uni helped ;)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1336830858' post='1651667']

it was nice. Bit polite, and very high string tension for some reason. Also photography courses at uni helped ;)
[/quote]

High string tension!? It's a 34" so no different to any other standard bass. Tension will be the strings. I use 40-100 on mine and it's fine. Great for slapping. Think Status did a 5 string version too?

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1337473732' post='1660680']
Would Rob Green not make a new one? The Chrome Pickup versions intrigue me.
[/quote]
theres an active chrome pickup one on edinburgh gumtree, I've been chatting to the fella seems nice. about £200.

...which is a lot less than if Rob Green made a new one. Though I doubt they are set up anymore to make wood necks

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337502640' post='1660867']
Though I doubt they are set up anymore to make wood necks
[/quote]

Well, that might be a case of "watch this space". Going by Rob's recent post on Statii.com.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1337522542' post='1661293']
Well, that might be a case of "watch this space". Going by Rob's recent post on Statii.com.
[/quote]
had a look but couldn't find.... more info please!