Why become a member? ×

New arrival it's a Sei and it's a single cut.

6stringbassist

Thanks Kevin - absolutely stunning! Knowing Martin's work, I'd imagine it plays and sounds as good as it looks. I didn't make it to the Gallery last week so missed out on an intimate introduction - I'm looking forward to more photographs when you get a chance. What's the facing timber on this (and is it the same facing on the reverse)? Cheers, Lawrence

[quote name='lozbass' post='179777' date='Apr 18 2008, 02:27 PM']Thanks Kevin - absolutely stunning! Knowing Martin's work, I'd imagine it plays and sounds as good as it looks. I didn't make it to the Gallery last week so missed out on an intimate introduction - I'm looking forward to more photographs when you get a chance. What's the facing timber on this (and is it the same facing on the reverse)? Cheers, Lawrence[/quote]

Hi Lawrence

It's buckeye burl front and back over a walnut core, it's quite heavy but has an amazing acoustic sound, probably the loudest I've come across.

Bartolini P4 pickups and an East preamp, blue side LED's.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='180019' date='Apr 18 2008, 06:02 PM']Hi Lawrence

It's buckeye burl front and back over a walnut core, it's quite heavy but has an amazing acoustic sound, probably the loudest I've come across.

Bartolini P4 pickups and an East preamp, blue side LED's.[/quote]
Hi Kevin,

Buckeye burl is certainly one of my personal favourites and I've seen some of the gorgeous timber that Martin stocks - I'd love to see your acquisition up close! On the volume issue, I've had the same experience with my s/c 6 - it's unusually loud and resonant when unplugged (it's burl over flamed ash) - possibly something to do with the s/c design and neck width (there's a lot of timber in there!)

Cheers, Lawrence

Hey Kevin

Congrats bro - welcome to the club (you need to get your self a member number from Paddy on TB) so glad to hear it's all you could hope for - I'm loving my Sei more by the day - it's a seriously wonderful bass as I'm sure your's is too. Those specs sound great - what I love about each bass Martin makes is that somehow, well by listening to his customers, he makes each one exactly to match what his clients want. I've tried half a dozen Sei's in the last six months and while they are fundamentally the same design, each is different and matches the musical personality of their owner... anyway we need BIGGER pics now man - can't wait to see this beauty in more detail.

Cheers

Mike

PS I have a couple of shots of this bass when it was still in the workshop - just after the finish went on but before the strings/bridge/tuners were attached - let me know if it's OK to post them - or PM me and Ill email them to you.

Very nice - when I first saw it I thought URB had sold you his bass!!

It looks like it matches the Modulus very nicely, and I bet the sound compliments it very well. Also looking forward to more pics...

ped

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='180512' date='Apr 19 2008, 02:49 PM']I'd like to see yours, I bet the flamed ash looks nice, is there a photo of it on the Sei website ?.[/quote]
Hi Kevin,

I'm afraid there's no photo on the Sei site - I think mine is the first s/c that Martin built (I didn't commission it but it's every bit as lovely as you'd expect). The flamed ash is subtle but very nice - there's no exotic facing on the back so the ash is visible in all its full glory (the neck is a bit unusual too insofar as it's non-figured ash and maple laminates with a macassar ebony board). The bass desperately needs a set-up so I'll be down at the Gallery in the next week or two - I'll get some photo's when the set-ups been completed. Apologies for the earlier mail - I'd indicated erroneously that the facing on my bass was Burl when it's actually Thuya.

Cheers, Lawrence

Thanks for all of your comments.

I'd like to see the photos you have Mike, I've got a couple from before the finish was applied. I've spent loads of time in Holland over the last 5 months, so I wasn't around enough to get down to see the various stages of construction.

She's so comfortable to play, I guess I was playing for about 8 hours yesterday with no discomfort at all.

The balance couldn't be bettered, it's perfect.

Two things I was concerned about before I collected it, are the 18mm string spacing and 34" scale length, the Modulus is a 35" and has 17mm string spacing, I'd ordered the Sei before I started playing the Modulus, and the Modulus has been my main companion for the last 8 months or more. I needn't have worried though because I honestly don't notice it.
I can go from one bass to the other without thinking.

She was going to have Q-tuner pickups fitted, but they didn't arrive in time, so they're going onto the Modulus, the Bartolinis sound perfect though, just as Martin Predicted they would.
I play in quite a varied assortment of musical projects, from an ambient rock band, a jazz quartet, a duo with another jazz guitarist who uses looping, to a junction band playing most things from jazz to present day pop, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Sei in any of them, I think though that the Modulus has the edge in the rock band, mainly due to the visual aspect of the design, she has a vast palate of tonal colours.

I keep saying 'she', which is something I picked up from Alex, but it seems right somehow, can you have male and female musical instruments ?.

Here are a few more photos, they still don't do justice to Martins work, the flame maple neck is almost 3D, if it does stop raining some time in the near future I'll take some better photos outside.

Edited by 6stringbassist

Cool Kev - sounds wicked and looks wicked too - one small gripe, better pics - but can you make them just a little bigger, pretty please? No worries if not - when you get a minute - I'll add those early stage pics soon - congrats again.

Mike