Why become a member? ×

Basses at work? Experiences please!

Lfalex v1.1

I used to have 2 USA B.C.Rich Bich basses and a Full Trace Elliot stack at a place I worked, but then again, it was a guitar shop :lol: :lol:

*edited due to not being able to spell "Stack" *

Edited by Lorne

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1336516928' post='1647025']
I used to have 2 USA B.C.Rich Bich basses and a Full Trace Elliot stack at a place I worked, but then again, it was a guitar shop :lol: :lol:

*edited due to not being able to spell "Stack" *
[/quote]

I used to be so romanticised with the idea of working in a guitar shop, thinking I'd get paid for just playing bass all day... Until I realised how rarely if ever I see guys who work in the shops actually getting to play!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1336517122' post='1647029']
I used to be so romanticised with the idea of working in a guitar shop, thinking I'd get paid for just playing bass all day... Until I realised how rarely if ever I see guys who work in the shops actually getting to play!
[/quote]

We used to, we had some annoying problems though, I think they call them "Customers", always interupting!!! :lol:

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to doing it!
Took a Warwick Fortress Masterman 5, Korg Pandora, BIG Sennheiser 'phones (closed back, circumaural)
Worked a treat, and I warmed-up quickly, then completely zoned out!
Apparently, everyone in the canteen (20 people) was wondering what the hell was going on, but I was oblivious...

Just played along to my MP3 player for exercise/entertainment, but it was all good.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1336404720' post='1645110']
But when I worked for firms, I avoided taking a Bass or Guitar case to work whenever possible. theres always some wag who has to call out 'Give us a tune then' or some other wiity line they think you never heard before. Just gets tiresome after a bit.
[/quote]

the one reason i wouldn't want to take (take folks, not bring...we're British dammit !! ;) ) a bass to work...

• Like 1

I keep 3 basses on a Hercules stand next to my desk. My rig is in the office too because sometimes we rehearse in there, but mostly I take practice breaks using my Amplug. It helps that it's my company so I know they are comparatively safe. I think most workplaces would probably be ok about keeping a bass by your desk though and headphones and zoning out are the best way of dealing with interfering colleagues (or Wives!) :P It depends on how safe you feel the place is, plus although we think basses are the most precious things on the planet, most ordinary folks aren't too fussed about them. My wife still can't tell the difference between a bass and a guitar <_<

We usually rehearse in the evening but the office is actually above a tandoori restaurant and every time they think we are playing too loudly, they set off the fire alarms! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I almost always have a bass in the office, though not for any structured practice - mainly relaxation at the end of the day. I have my own office so colleagues don't care or think it's reasonably cool. My students don't know what a bass is - to most, a MacBook is a musical instrument and wooden things are furniture. The current office bass is a Celinder J Update - lovely and relaxes me just to peek at it

The idea of bringing my bass to work for a lunchtime practice occured to me over the weekend, interesting timing to resurrect this thread (didn't see it before).

Bass would have to commute with me (in the car so ok), got a cheapie bass headphone amp (Ogre). Being a noob and mostly just needing to work on scales, rythm etc my fear I guess, is as mentioned above, people coming over to watch/heckle/whatever. I'm not up to audiences yet! Does seem like a good use of an hour though.

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1343124801' post='1745509']
The idea of bringing my bass to work for a lunchtime practice occured to me over the weekend, interesting timing to resurrect this thread (didn't see it before).

Bass would have to commute with me (in the car so ok), got a cheapie bass headphone amp (Ogre). Being a noob and mostly just needing to work on scales, rythm etc my fear I guess, is as mentioned above, people coming over to watch/heckle/whatever. I'm not up to audiences yet! Does seem like a good use of an hour though.
[/quote]

Eh? To hell with them, you're the cool one playing an instrument. Then take that attitude and get on a stage! ;)

[sub][size=3][size=4]I[/size] [size=4]have an electro acoustic at work so I can learn new songs for my covers band and also a cheapo bass that I plug into my iphone via the irig interface, it comes with a free app to turn the phone into a small bass amp which you buy add ons like effects, different cabs etc. Quite handy as it runs through headphones too so no one can complain!!! I mean compliment :blush: [/size][/size][/sub]

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1343392189' post='1750038']
Well, just had a brilliant 45mins sat in the sun in the works carpark playing my Bass! :sun_bespectacled: Hope the rest of the work day goes so quick. Just have to think of a rain contingencey now :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Most excellent! Mine's going back to work for tomorrow and Sunday.....