Why become a member? ×

Neck-dive on 6 string basses

bassist_lewis

i bought an ibanez SR1206 and while i is great instruemnt (great sound, great feel, great looks) it has some bias towards the headstock. I read a review of a 6 string Dingwall and it has similar (but slight) balance issues, is this standard with 6 string basses? Is there any way to solve the problem? TBH its not serious, its just that its the only thing that bothers me about the bass.
L

I've got an Ibanez SR506 which doesn't seem to have that problem. According to a book by Gary Willis, attaching small weight's in the body will help - he recommends ones you can get from shops selling model railways. I haven't tried that so can't say how effective it would be.

[quote name='Noah Deere' timestamp='1336225032' post='1642769']
I've got an Ibanez SR506 which doesn't seem to have that problem. According to a book by Gary Willis, attaching small weight's in the body will help - he recommends ones you can get from shops selling model railways. I haven't tried that so can't say how effective it would be.
[/quote]
or hang a bag of sugar from your rear strap button? ;)

It's an issue on 6 string basses like it is on 4 string basses, some will suffer from it and some won't. My Status Stealth 6 string never neck dived as it was so light overall (carbon fibre monocoque construction). Then again, some 6'ers will dive all day, but they're no different from 4 strings in that respect!

Out of the three 6 string basses I've owned, the Peavey Grind is balanced the best by far. I guess it could be to do with the chunkier neck and the fact that a lot of 6ers have dual truss rods... But then again the Billy Sheehan Yamaha Attitude bass has ridiculous neck dive too!

I've found that It's usually the basses that have the bridge very close to the bottom of the body that are less likely to have issues. Or you could just get a Peavey ;)

It's more of an issue on 6 string basses because they generally have substantially wider necks which means more weight and the two extra tuners are yet more weight that end.

Get a good suede strap and you should be fine. You could also change the tuners for lighter ones though that's a bit overkill IMO.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1336246392' post='1643141']
I have no such problem with my SR1206. Which version do you have?
[/quote]

I got the most recent one, the bass sits fine but I notice over time that it slips slightly and I have to re-adjust regularly. It could be that I wear my basses very high and so need the neck to be pointing at a 45 degree angle. Its small complaint about an otherwise great bass

I've got a Ken Smith Design Proto-J 5 string. I love the sound of the bass but the neck dive is brutal. I regret not having a strap when I tried out the bass - I just rested it on my knee. I don't use it very much because of it. It's a very heavy bass as well made out of Canadian maple. Live and learn I guess

I've wondered if the designers of these instruments have actually strapped on one of thier creations and tried them out. You know - real world application. The other thing about this KSD is it's a 35" scale. Not a problem until you try to fit it into a standard bass case. It's a full 3 inches to long. I have a soft case and even that won't accomodate this beast.

If you don't mind taking a drill to your treasured instrument try moving the position of the lower strap button away from the centre line of the body, i.e. think of the bass in terms of hands of a clock, headstock at 12 o'clock lower button at 6.00, move the lower button to somewhere around 7.00, this will shift the way the bass hangs on a strap & will improve balance, ideally get someone to help hold the bass while you have the strap attached at the top horn only & you can try to obtain the optimum position for the lower button before drilling, hope that makes some sense, mike b.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1336262683' post='1643392']

I got the most recent one, the bass sits fine but I notice over time that it slips slightly and I have to re-adjust regularly. It could be that I wear my basses very high and so need the neck to be pointing at a 45 degree angle. Its small complaint about an otherwise great bass
[/quote]

Ah...mine is the second version, the one that came out in the mid 90s before being discontinued. Excellent bass! Although I don't use it all that much.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1336297626' post='1643573']
So buy a headless status. Job done.
[/quote]

[quote name='Tankdave' timestamp='1336298187' post='1643580']
Every bass I have ever tried has head dive to some small degree or more, except my Sei headless.
[/quote]

Seeing as gigs are starting to pick up and I finally have a job that pays it has crossed my mind a few times to get a headless/really really good bass. not sure the GF would agree though <_<