Why become a member? ×

duck dunn

andy67

my little fellow (nearly three) has been enjoying watching the Blues Brothers with me of late - he sings and dances to the music - it's my favourite film of all time and it is particularly gratifying to have my youngest appreciate it so much.

Anyhoo back to duck, I played through some of the blues brother's songs this morning and realised that mr dunn is a clever, clever man! talk about the economy of motion? his playing is superb but when you get into it a pattern begins to emerge and his style sticks out.

He appears to play in blocks, keeping all notes close at hand allowing for his number and speed of notes maximised and appearing to be effortless in delivery you clever man mr dunn. Has anyone notice that he does not look at the fret board when playing?

thoughts?

andy

Edited by andy67

Letting a 3 year old watch the Blues Brothers. Wait till he quotes when Jake goes to see the penguin "No f***ing way" to his mother like mine did.

What you have to remember is that a lot of the Blues Brothers songs come from the Atlantic/Stax back catalog and Duck was the house bass player. Think of him as the Altlantic/Stax version of Jamerson.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='178930' date='Apr 17 2008, 03:26 PM']One of my heroes. His sound is what bass its all about for me. Nothing to twiddly, just doing what a bass player should be doing.[/quote]

my ethos exactly tbbc!

[quote name='andyonbass' post='178958' date='Apr 17 2008, 03:45 PM']Check out [url="http://www.bassisbodacious.com/"]WHAT DUCK DUNN[/url]

My cassette version is worn out, now, anyone got the CD version?[/quote]

You can get Blues Brothers books. I haven't, but I assume the bass will be close.
--
+1 to Duck love.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='178963' date='Apr 17 2008, 03:50 PM']I'm sure you're a lovely lad, but I HATE YOU.[/quote]

Nice to be called a lad. My love of Neil has exposed me to great musicians, recorded and live. To rub it in further I think Jim Keltner was his drummer that day.

In my List of the Top Ten Uses of the Word 'sh*t' (still in development), Duck Dunn comes in with "if the sh*t fits". Classic bass player.

What's humbling about these guys is that they were that good and playing on hit records before they even finished high school. And on top of that, he and Steve Cropper seem like genuinely nice guys. Never heard anyone say a bad word about them.

Duck has been one of my all time favourite bassists since I started playing. Have spent many an hour trying to cop his groove on an Otis Redding or Sam & Dave track.

Was lucky enough to see him at Hammersmith Apollo in about 1988 or '89 with the Blues Brothers Band. Eddie Floyd was one of the vocalists & it was pretty much the original band from the film minus the drummer & the keyboard player (I think the drummer on the night was Danny Gottlieb, but I might be wrong on that).

Along with Tommy Cogbill, David Hood & Jerry Jemmott, Duck was part of the Southern Soul bass brotherhood.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

Many years ago, i went to see D Dun along wth the blues bro band from the film in town and contry club, kentish towm, they were supereb, and done all the classics from the film and more. When it boils down to it, Mr D is what bass playing should be. I know and love J.P J.H and the rest of em, but at the end of the day a bass is to work between the drums and the melody to bind the whole thing together, thats what he does with style, and coolness, and surley thats what being a true bassist is all about!

Just my veiw!!