Why become a member? ×

Greetings from another 50-something oldfella!

nemorino

Hey all,

Greetings from south London!

I first started playing bass in 1976 when I was 15 because, in true Beatles style, someone had to be the bass player. So I bought a £20 Rose-Morris/Avon EB-0 type from a guy I found in Exchange & Mart magazine (remember that?!). I really loved playing it but considered myself a guitarist, so by 1979 I'd given up on four strings and gone back to six.

I've just taken up the bass again as I was asked if I'd bass on a jazzy date for a guitarist friend's 50th birthday party. Foolishly I said yes, and after a couple of rehearsals with the band (a quintet) and a lot of hard work by me (I was a punk: I can't play in E flat!!!) we did a great set at the weekend.

I'd even got myself a cheapo McCartney-style Hofner to play on....how much fun was that?

So I think I've fallen in love with bass all over again - and the amazing resources available online have been a brilliant help!

Looking forward to getting to know some of you and hoping I'll be able to contribute meaningfully the conversations at some point.

Cheers, everyone.

John

Hi John, Welcome - plenty of 50 somethings on here!! ;)

I did the Guitar - Bass - Guitar - Bass thing at around the same time.

After many years, I decided to "come out" and declare my love for the
lower end and although I still dabble with the Dark side of 6 &12, most
of the time it's FOUR!

Loads of things to see and do on here.

Cheers. :)

• 3 weeks later...