Why become a member? ×

Taken the plunge!

stoker

IMO you cant beat a Ric. They just float my boat and you can get a lot more tones out of them than just 'clank'.

I do agree that you should try a few out though. I tried a load of old ones that were going for silly money and all but one played like sh*t (possibly not helped by the fact most shops dont seem to actually set up 2nd hand instruments that they are trying to sell) and eventually bought a 2011 4003 which was fantastic. That had to go back to Ric due to a flaky paint issue sadly so had to hunt again and took a punt on the one i have now without playing it first (had 30 day money back promise though) and it plays great.

I would disagree that the colour doesnt matter, it matters a lot to me. Unless you intend to buy another one later ;) My first Ric was only bought cos it was the right price, not the right colour... Cracking bass though, still got it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm doing the exact same thing, saving up for a Ric, it's been a bass I've always wanted to own so now I'm playing a lot more and starting to earn some money from playing, I thought why not start to build up my rig to a very good standard, slowly of course but the first thing I'm gonna get is my Ric! I played one of my friends Dad's 4001 and my god what a bass! Then played a 4003 about 3 weeks ago and that was just so perfect apart from the action was high for my liking, plus it wasn't the finish I was after, not a massive fan of the MapleGlo, looked too light and just wasn't stunning in my opinion, I'm rather liking the WalnutBurst/Glo they have, if not it will be the Ruby I think, something a bit different from what I've owned thus far in terms of colour

Worth mentioning there are some subtle differences between the 4001 and 4003 - the neck on my 4003 has a wider fretboard than the 4001, and the 4001 was a more pronounced volute at the end of it.

4001/4003 either way - i hope you both get one! Ive seen a few 4001's recently go for less than a newer 4003 so shop around, try them all and then buy the one that you know is the right one. :)

I got my S/H ric without playing first via eBay. Was only the 2nd or 3rd foray on eBay I'd ever made and it is still the highest I've paid for anything on there after 10 or so years. Fortunately it turned out to be a decent example (it had hardly been played in truth and was at most 18 months old judging by the SN). Sadly it's seen little use over the last few years as the tone hasn't really fitted in with the bands I was in yet it remains my longest kept instrument. Make of that what you will. People still ask to play it when I take it to jam sessions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Keep going mate. Its worth the wait. I bought my rick 4001 back in 1995 with my last student loan. I went to London with £600 in my pocket, Iseemed to think that was what is was gonna cost me! Went into all the shops on denmark street, of the 2 ricks I found they were both new and more like a grand. down hearted I went into the last shop, cant remember the name now. The small dark shop at the end on the left with a few floors chocablock full of second hand kit. They had a red one hanging up. I look at the tag-£900, oh well I thought I travelled all the way up here, I'll give it a go. Tried it out and fell in love (i'd originally wanted a black one). Would you take £600 quid for it i said. and they said yes. I couldn't believe it. Best money I ever spent! When eventually got round to checking it out, it turned out to be from 1980.

After nearly 20 years of owning and playing her, I joined this forum, and found out a lot of great info. I changed the action and put some flats on, sounds amazing now. I've fallen back in love. I'm sure you will too. Take the advice above, dont get too hung up on colour etc, try a few and buy the one that plays best

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1349872553' post='1831549']
Stay with it they are an amazing bass to own, I love mine it's 20 years old this month & it's still a buzz every time I play it.
[/quote]

Sounds like you need it setting up if there's buzzing every time you play it! That, or you've got a dodgy earth somewhere... ;)