Why become a member? ×

Delay pedals

GremlinAndy

Who has one and what are the pros and cons... Are they all big, or are there any mini ones that are any good?

I saw the Mooer delay but it doesn't sound very versatile... anyone got one?

does size [b]actually[/b] mean better on this front? (I'm sure the Eventide Time factor is great (I have a pitchfactor) but the size is pretty immense and it is probably way more functional than I need...)

And finally if anyone knows a thread where this is covered, would you point it out pls. A search revealed very little...

Ah, delay! My favorite type of effect!
Basically, what separates the big ones from the small ones is tap tempo (which is [i]extremely[/i] useful). Tap tempo allows you to set your delay time to however fast you tap your foot, allowing you to set a certain time depending on how fast the drummer plays. I would suggest investing in a tap tempo delay. Here are a few:
TC Electronic Nova Repeater/Delay/Delay IB Mod
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy/Deluxe Memory Man 550/Deluxe Memory Man 1100/Memory Man w/ Hazarai
Akai E2 Headrush

My favorite out of these is the Nova Delay IB. It's modded for a better bypassed sound, but still has all the features of the Nova Delay (tap tempo, tape and analog delay imitation, etc.) and is quite versatile.

This is great! Cheers guys. I have some models to start investigating.
Size is my enemy as I don't really have much room on my board... But then again I don't want a sh*t pedal... So it's all about finding the right compromise...

if you get a pedal with a tap tempo input then you can add a small tap tempo switch - i'm sure you could get one in one of those tiny boxes. If not it'd be dead easy to make - just a momentary footswitch and a jack lead

the Marshall Echohead is small, has a few different interesting modes, and a tap tempo input. You can generally get them for under £50.

I have a DD-20 which I love, but I still use the echohead for it's reverse mode.

I use the TC Flashback which is absolutely fantastic and covers all of my needs, no tap tempo but it has an audio tap feature which does the same. This replaced my Headrush and more than covers anything I ever used it for and is a much smaller footprint.

Edited by simwells

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1335834005' post='1636817']
TC Electronic Nova Repeater/Delay/Delay IB Mod
[/quote]

+1 for a tap tempo delay, you can't really beat those two on sound/price/feature set. The Nova Delay has presets which are helpful, the Nova Repeater is just a simple plug and play design which is more easy to adjust to if you're used to a compact boss style delay pedal...not that the Nova Delay is complicated.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1335835109' post='1636821']
Boss DD-3/6/7 probably has the best features to size ratio. I don't think my DD-20 is that big, it's smaller than a time factor or a dl-4 and I think it's got the most features short of a time factor
[/quote]

+1 used a DD-6 for ages with no problems at all. Lots of great modes, all digital but that was no problem for me. Many prefer the crystal clear repeats of Digital delays and longer delay times afforded. The DD-6 also has tap tempo and the DD-7 (like the DD-5) has the option of adding an external non latching footswitch to tap tempo as well.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1335860223' post='1636922']
the Marshall Echohead is small, has a few different interesting modes, and a tap tempo input. You can generally get them for under £50.
[/quote]

Big feature set for the price no doubt, not to put you off (as I'm sure there are many of happy users) but my Marshall Reverb went south after only a few months of usage. Worked great when it did, plus it has hardwire bypass, but suddenly poo'd itself, no idea why. Very comparable to the DD-7 I think, in terms of features?

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1335865508' post='1637027']
I use the TC Flashback which is absolutely fantastic and covers all of my needs, no tap tempo but it has an audio tap feature which does the same. This replaced my Headrush and more than covers anything I ever used it for and is a much smaller footprint.
[/quote]

This seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment, sounds like an awesome pedal with so much crammed in to it for such a teeny tiny size. If I were to recommend a compact pedal it would be THIS or the DD-7, depending on whether you want an external tap tempo. If you want something a bit more powerful I'd recommend the TC Nova Delay.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1335867849' post='1637096']
Big feature set for the price no doubt, not to put you off (as I'm sure there are many of happy users) but my Marshall Reverb went south after only a few months of usage. Worked great when it did, plus it has hardwire bypass, but suddenly poo'd itself, no idea why. Very comparable to the DD-7 I think, in terms of features?
[/quote]

I have a jackhammer too from the same series and have gigged them each quite a lot (and I stamp quite hard on my pedals). Nothing's gone wrong yet. Did you look into getting the pedal fixed?

I'd say it's comparable to the DD-7 but a lot cheaper

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1335869730' post='1637143']
Did you look into getting the pedal fixed?
[/quote]

I should have done but didn't need reverb so much at the time. Ended up selling it on cheap on here and bought a DynaVerb. Now I'm hoping to get an M9 to cover (amongst many other things) all my reverb and delay needs...but I digress.

I have a couple of TC pedals. The vortex and the hall of fame and the hall of fame needs taking back cos sometimes it doesn't 'boot up' properly... It's put me right of the tc's... Although when it's working it sounds great. I'll look at the others tho. And the remote tap tempo is quite a good idea.

I've got a maxon ad9 that's nice and analog and a line6 dl4 that does everything and has a tap tempo, not used either on bass (yet) but hav used the dl4 loads and it's been brilliant.

Not really playing guitar nowadays so may sell the dl4, boxed, all original bits inc power supply etc, I've got the diago pedalpower adaptor for it too...

[quote name='GremlinAndy' timestamp='1335910926' post='1638071']
Hi Andy. Will look into them and let you know..
Tech boost sounds like its got it all... Looking into that too.

Cheers guys!
[/quote]

Hi Andy,

[url="http://uk.line6.com/dl4/"]http://uk.line6.com/dl4/[/url]

You're welcome to pop round and give it a go mate...

Edited by andydye

there's this thread too:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163809-which-delay-do-you-use-on-bass/page__st__20__p__1503495__hl__delay%20bass__fromsearch__1#entry1503495"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163809-which-delay-do-you-use-on-bass/page__st__20__p__1503495__hl__delay%20bass__fromsearch__1#entry1503495[/url]

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1335948143' post='1638343']
there's this thread too:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163809-which-delay-do-you-use-on-bass/page__st__20__p__1503495__hl__delay%20bass__fromsearch__1#entry1503495"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1503495[/url]
[/quote]

Wow. Very cool pedal but WAY more than I'm looking for. I'm looking for something way more basic really. I really want something that's no bigger than a Carbon copy... Or possibly I'm just actually looking for a carbon copy and can live without tap tempo.... I want it as small as possible really. (especially now I've seen just how big they can get.)

The idea it to have the most versatile pedal board possible without taking up any more size. (pedaltrain Jr)

For a great one trick analog delay, get the Carbon Copy. For something a little more versatile but the same size, TC Flashback. If you NEED tap tempo in a more concise package have a look at the Nova Repeater/Delay or the Boss DD-6/7. I got away without it for years and if I were to go back to a single delay it would be a Flashback, hands down.

[color=#808080][quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1336001124' post='1639506']
For a great one trick analog delay, get the Carbon Copy. For something a little more versatile but the same size, TC Flashback. If you NEED tap tempo in a more concise package have a look at the Nova Repeater/Delay or the Boss DD-6/7. I got away without it for years and if I were to go back to a single delay it would be a Flashback, hands down.
[/quote][/color]

I think the flashback gets it based on usefulness vs size.
Cheers for all the help guys.
Gotta love the BC forums!

Andy