Why become a member? ×

Genuine Fender MIM Jazz?

Shylock

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110869331004?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110869331004?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649[/url]

This is a lovely looking bass but is it genuine? The serial number I think dates it around 2009 but it looks like a Squier VM '77 Model. Did they produce these in Mexico or is it a Fender neck on a Squier body? Why are the pick ups covered - replaced?

I guess unless you see it and play it you will never be satisfied before bidding.

I think its a Wilkinson bridge. I have one of these on one of my MIMs, its a poor man's Gotoh but not bad.
I'm more concerned about the truss rod adjustment access - i think the only Fenders that have it at the headstock end like that have the 70s bullet trussrods and on a 70s Jazz neck that would also mean blocks and binding.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1335977406' post='1638965']
I can't see too well on my phone but couldn't it be that the headstock end is blanked off and the adjuster is legitimately at the heel?
[/quote]
Or possible the headstock end is the adjustment (because its a copy) and there is a gap in the scratchplate for genuine heel adjustment necks...

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1336062120' post='1640372']
Or possible the headstock end is the adjustment (because its a copy) and there is a gap in the scratchplate for genuine heel adjustment necks...
[/quote]

Yep, either way man... I'm not sticking up for it, i was just saying like.

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1335816433' post='1636581']
Truss rod adjusment at both ends of the neck?
[/quote]
No. The pickguard has been changed out for one with the notch for heel adjusters.

I think this is a kosher Mex standard with the pick ups and plate changed out.

I think £400's a bit steep, mind.

It seems fine to me. I think the ambitious pricing is due to the seller not realising that upgrades generally don't increase the value of an instrument and in many cases decrease the desirability! He'd have been better off selling it stock and putting the pickups and bridge in seperate auctions

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1336271795' post='1643436']
It seems fine to me. I think the ambitious pricing is due to the seller not realising that upgrades generally don't increase the value of an instrument and in many cases decrease the desirability! He'd have been better off selling it stock and putting the pickups and bridge in seperate auctions
[/quote]
Yep. All that.