Why become a member? ×

difference between squier standard and affinity?

Bay Splayer

Spend the extra and get one of the VMJ series.

It'll be worth it.

As it is, affinity are the bottom of the bottom, standard not much higher*.

*Disclaimer, it's got cheap hardware, but you may find one thats really playable and put together well, in that case, you could upgrade bits.

SX* make jazz clones: [url="http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html"]SX Basses[/url] that are quite highly regarded on here.
I've got one of the squier VMJ basses and it's awesome. You can get them for less than £250 if you shop around.

* I can't believe I mentioned SX before anyone else!

Edited by Hit&Run

I Googled them, you can get one for under £200, which is about the same as the Standard Series. Link [url="http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=squier+vintage+modified+jazz&scoring=p"]here[/url]

I quite fancy one of the Precisions though.

Edited by jono b

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='179078' date='Apr 17 2008, 05:45 PM']SX* make jazz clones: [url="http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html"]SX Basses[/url] that are quite highly regarded on here.
I've got one of the squier VMJ basses and it's awesome. You can get them for less than £250 if you shop around.

* I can't believe I mentioned SX before anyone else![/quote]

spooky......just googled cheap jazz bass and found sx then pop back on forum and you have posted about them!!

suit me cos of my location?....essex...doh!

thanx for suggestion, gonna start a new thread to get feedback on them...cheers, mark

[quote name='Buzz' post='178283' date='Apr 16 2008, 08:28 PM']*Disclaimer, it's got cheap hardware, but you may find one thats really playable and put together well, in that case, you could upgrade bits.[/quote]

Word. My brother got a Squire Strat Affinity about ten years ago. It's still the nicest guitar I've played in terms of pure playability and fun.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='179191' date='Apr 17 2008, 07:23 PM']Word. My brother got a Squire Strat Affinity about ten years ago. It's still the nicest guitar I've played in terms of pure playability and fun.[/quote]

+1. I bought an Affinity tele about 6 years ago when the guy selling wouldn't split it from an amp/guitar package he had. I figured I'd move it on, but it played so nicely I've still got it. The electrics were uniformly rubbish though - there wasn't any sign of the thing being played but the switch was very intermittent, the pots crackled terribly and the pickups were weedy and thin.

I do think it's playability was very much an exception to the rule though - I bought an Affinity Strat off the back of this experience, and it played much like you'd expect a cheapy to. No amount of setting up improved matters much.

Incidentally, it seems to have been pretty much confirmed that Jim Deacon are the same as SX basses, and might well be a cheaper option than SX, particularly used. Just make sure you pick up a 20 fret version - the ones with 21 frets are the equivalent to the cheaper (and lesser) SX starter packs.

My Fecker Imprecision started life as a Chinese Squier Affinity P-Bass body and neck which I picked up for parts. Replaced the tuners with ones from a Mexican Fender, popped in a Seymour Duncan QP and a Badass II. Took it to a jam a couple of nights ago, and my guitarist friend (who also is a pretty nifty bass player of several years experience) said many positive things about it, comparing it favourably with his Japanese Tokai Hard Puncher.

This seems to back up the idea that there's little wrong with the wood, it's just that the hardware on Affinity series Squiers is crap. Certainly the tuners were those horrible cheap nasty rectangular enclosed affairs. Yuck!

don't believe the hype about which bass is superior to another...I've played an affinty at loads of gigs...including Manchester Hard Rock Cafe...the only time i got complimented on my bass tone from a member of the audience, is from when i used my affinity straight through the bands PA.....
Obviously as long as its set up OK it will be fine....its a bass for f*** sake....nobody in the audience cares/knows what it sounds like.