Why become a member? ×

Bireli Lagrene Fretless Bass (youtube video) transcription

Emlyn

Hi,

I was quite taken by this video of Bireli Lagrene playing Freedom Jazz Dance, and decided to transcribe it.

I'm going to put it in Sibelius when I get time, but this is the paper (rough version) if anyone wants to check it out.

This is the video on youtube: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_wH15a7C0&feature=share[/media]

I've not fully proof read it yet - if anyone fancies having a look all comments are welcome!

Cheers,

Emlyn

Edited by Emlyn

he is an amazing gipsy jazz guitarist (check out his album The Gipsy Project for example) but played alongside Jaco in the latter's last sad years and is very influenced by Jaco when it comes to bass playing (to the extent you could shut your eyes and think it is Jaco). Amazing musician who I was lucky enough to see live in London around 15 years ago.

Good work Emlyn - any chance you could re-do in tab form? ;) :lol:

Edited by Clarky

Hi Clarky,

I've nearly put it in Sibelius 7, I think there's a 'convert to tab' option - not checked, but it pretty much does everything else, so hopefully I can.

Hope the bass is working well for you,

Cheers,

Emlyn

[quote name='Emlyn' timestamp='1335897662' post='1637763']
Hi Clarky,

I've nearly put it in Sibelius 7, I think there's a 'convert to tab' option - not checked, but it pretty much does everything else, so hopefully I can.

Hope the bass is working well for you,

Cheers,

Emlyn
[/quote]
Hey Emlyn, yep I just put my fave strings (Kolsteins) on the bass and it really sounds lovely :) I was being tongue-in-cheek about tab as its a running joke on here (moderator Bilbo's constant refrain is 'Learn to read'; he also hates Moondance by Van Morrison so this track receives a fair few mentions too :lol: )

that clip was one of my faves on youtube as a long time Bireli fan after getting his album 15
learnt so much from [i]Jan[/i] Jankeje, from that album in fact i still use that version of Autumn Leaves
today, if asked.

Anyway i cant belive New Morning Vision has had it removed ( money grabbing gits)
surly it cant be removed for copyright reasons if it is live ??
so to the point has anyone done a youtube MP3 convert of this ? i could have ? please pm me.
never thought to get it done. BUGGER

Hi,

I see it's come down, but don't worry I've pm'd you guys!

Clarky - I've just about got to grips with the tab conversion of the notation - it's a bit prone to error so I will do it properly this weekend and send it over.

Geoff - thanks for the props!

Urb - I've had to revise a bit (couple of wrong accidentals & one bar missing) so I will start this post in the theory section again - and you can delete this thread if you have time and it's not a hassle.

I've got some Patitucci 6 string transcriptions nearly finished which I'll put up in the same thread, from Mistura Fina - all Brazilian music.

Thanks for the encouraging words, best thing about doing these is sharing the results!