Why become a member? ×

A good combination for a 4 string bass?

topcat3355

Basically I used to play a 5 string bass until I realised how hard it is to get the b-string to be loud and clear. Since then I've swapped to a 4 string p-bass and was wondering what I should go for if I want a rumbly yet punchy bass cab? The head I'm using is a line 6 Lowdown HD400, and I'm thinking of using a 15" bass cab and a 2x10" on top both at 8 Ohms? Or is there a type of cab that any of you can recommend? Thanks :)

The general rules from people that know a lot more about physics and audio engineering than myself suggest that mixing speaker sizes like a 2x10 and 1x15 without some kind of crossover is not the best idea. I bought my cabs years ago when I did not know of any potential issues, so have been gigging with a 2x10 and 1x15 for years without any great problem.

Generally this thread will also go a variety of ways:

1. Buy a Barefaced
2. Buy another boutique lightweight cabinet that isn't a Barefaced
3. Buy (insert what person replying is playing)
4. Buy two 2x10 cabinets and stack them vertically for best sound dispersion.
5. Buy (insert gear person replying is trying to sell)
6. Buy this new product that was introduced at NAMM but isn't out for another 6 months!

Seriously though, I'm sure Line 6 do a range of cabinets designed for that head that work okay. What you should get depends on factors like your budget, whether the cabinet has to be small and lightweight etc.

Well, I'm not looking to spend too much because I'm a student so I might have to think about building a cab. Eminence sell a 10's and you can get a pair for £96 in the link below which would match up to my head nicely. Is it a good idea to to get them if I know a person who has built several of bass cabs?
http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/eminence-legend-bp102-4ohm-10-200watt-bass-guitar-speaker-p-867.html

As always, personal preference will prevail in these threads... Saying that here's mine!

something with 10 inch speakers :) Either two 2x10s, a 4x10, a 4x10 and a 2x10.... whatever! From what I've tried those are the 'punchiest' cabs :)

If you're looking for cheap I would recomend Ashdown, I really like their stuff! Also check out Peavey, and maybe Ampeg if your budget can stretch a little :)

See what's affordable in the For Sale section on here, and good luck!

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1335744488' post='1635450']
1. Buy a Barefaced
2. Buy another boutique lightweight cabinet that isn't a Barefaced
3. Buy (insert what person replying is playing)
4. Buy two 2x10 cabinets and stack them vertically for best sound dispersion.
5. Buy (insert gear person replying is trying to sell)
6. Buy this new product that was introduced at NAMM but isn't out for another 6 months!
[/quote]

Just realised my response doesn't fit into any of these categories... WIN! :lol:

If you're looking to self build, then have a look at Bill Fitzmaurice's website (there was a couple of empty cabs in the for sale on here, but they might be gone).
Here's his webby...

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

If you're buying cabs, then Barefaced allow you to try for 30 days & get a refund if you ain't happy. Highly recommended cabs on here.

The old adage that 10"s give punch & 15"s give bass is marketing rubbish. if you look at the frequency response for just about any decent 2x10 and 1x15 cab, they'll probably say 40hz - 20khz. 10"s give a better dispersion than 15"s (unless you put the 10"s horizontally & then the soundwaves fight one another).

Mixing speaker sizes can give you unpredictable results from venue to venue such as cuts or boosts in different frequencies.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1335769055' post='1635531']
is this true? So would this mean that the famous 4x10 cabinet is not as great as it could be?
[/quote]

I'm afraid so. :( Probably one of the biggest reasons why 2 2x10s stacked vertically are recommended over the trad 4x10.

If you stand in front of your 4x10 when you're playing with your band (not close up to it, maybe 10'-20' away) & then walk off axis, you'll most likely notice a drop in volume.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1335773715' post='1635612']

I'm afraid so. :( Probably one of the biggest reasons why 2 2x10s stacked vertically are recommended over the trad 4x10.

If you stand in front of your 4x10 when you're playing with your band (not close up to it, maybe 10'-20' away) & then walk off axis, you'll most likely notice a drop in volume.
[/quote]

Ahh I see! I thought it was just because I was outside the range of the speakers so most of the air just kind of... Blew past me? :P hmm! Oh well, it means If using a 4x10 I can be louder than the other instruments on stage without disturbing the other band members! Could actually be a positive thing :D

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1335777160' post='1635686']
Ahh I see! I thought it was just because I was outside the range of the speakers so most of the air just kind of... Blew past me?
[/quote]

This is it exactly. With all the drivers in a vertical line, you can move further to the left or right before most of the air is blowing straight past you.

[quote name='topcat3355' timestamp='1335744902' post='1635459']
Well, I'm not looking to spend too much because I'm a student so I might have to think about building a cab. Eminence sell a 10's and you can get a pair for £96 in the link below which would match up to my head nicely. Is it a good idea to to get them if I know a person who has built several of bass cabs?
[url="http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/eminence-legend-bp102-4ohm-10-200watt-bass-guitar-speaker-p-867.html"]http://www.lean-busi...aker-p-867.html[/url]
[/quote]
These are excellent speakers in the right Cab. Serious amount of bottom end in these drivers and they can take 400w each! I have 4 of them in my SWR and there's really no need for a 15" And I'm not just saying that because I'm selling my SWR.
If you're planning on building a 2x10 or 4x10 then take a look at the dimensions of the SWR Goliath, Eminence told me these were a good match for their BP102s.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1335799137' post='1636192']
Surely the only reason why it's OK to stack speakers vertically and not horizontally is because you are less likely to change your listening position in the vertical axis rather than the horizontal one?
[/quote]
I think it has to do with phase cancellation and the fact that we tend to hear side to side rather than up and down.
It's perfectly fine to stack your speakers horizontally if you listen to them in that position :lol:
There's a bette and more helpful explanation of this on the [url="http://barefacedbass.co.uk"]Barefaced[/url] website...

[quote name='topcat3355' timestamp='1335744902' post='1635459']
[url="http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/eminence-legend-bp102-4ohm-10-200watt-bass-guitar-speaker-p-867.html"]http://www.lean-busi...aker-p-867.html[/url]
[/quote]

I've built a few cabs now. Building is cool because it lets you get exactly what you want (within the realms of budget and possibility). But it can be cheaper to just buy secondhand! The price of hardware soon adds up unless you have an old cab to cannibalise.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1335799358' post='1636196']
These are excellent speakers in the right Cab. Serious amount of bottom end in these drivers and they can take 400w each! I have 4 of them in my SWR and there's really no need for a 15" And I'm not just saying that because I'm selling my SWR.
If you're planning on building a 2x10 or 4x10 then take a look at the dimensions of the SWR Goliath, Eminence told me these were a good match for their BP102s.
[/quote]

Yes, I installed a set of these in a 410 cab, and they are very nice sounding speakers.