Why become a member? ×

Pre EB Stingray natural 1982 all original, WITHDRAWN :)

stingrayPete1977

Before any of you say it I know, I know, I know :lol:

As Im only using 5 string basses its possible for the right deal I might let this go, Im not desperate for the money its just not getting used much other than for home practice. Barring a Celinder J4 I once played this is the best 4 string bass I have ever played never mind owned, and this one sounded better! Its all original 8 out of ten condition wise and has a correct period case in similar maybe 7 out of 10 condition. The frets are sound and the truss rod works well too, original pre amp,knobs, pickup etc the lot. Listed on the musicman.org site and dated Nov 24th 1982 in the body cavity. neck like many others has no date but is all correct for the year as far as the logo postion and style etc, it also has some signatures in pencil that concur with others of that date. The neck is super slim, nothing like an EBMM Ray at all and obviously laquered too. It was bought in from the States by Nicks guitars and I purchased it from him, I have the receipt etc along with the original strap buttons to go back on instead of my dunlop straplocs. What else can I say?

As for trades/price, well it [u]has[/u] to be 5 string and of a fair value, I will take a bit of cash my way if it takes my fancy, but no offense I dont want a Squier and £1500 if you know what Im saying? Hanging in a shop on a commission sale on my behalf I would want best part of £2K for it after their fees leaving me about £1700. Please dont compare it to a glut of EBMM's this is not the same animal, feel free to find another that has not received a refin to body or neck in this condition with a period case for that price :)

So there it is what do you think? Im thinking an EBMM ClassicRay 5 string as my main trade option but lets have your offers. I know its hard as most of you will be wanting 5 strings too but this has some serious future value which is obviously my main reason for holding onto it right now. As I have said there is no rush, its not going on the bay for £1000 or anything after a week!

These are the professional pics Nick gave me when I bought it, It has since had all the rotten mute pads replaced. I will add a pic of it in its period case later too.
[attachment=106370:Stingray%20Nat%2080%20003.jpg]
[attachment=106371:82%20Stingray%20003.jpg]
[attachment=106372:82%20Stingray%20005.jpg]
[attachment=106373:82%20Stingray%20001.jpg]
[attachment=106374:Stingray%20Nat%2080%20035.jpg]
[attachment=106375:Stingray%20Nat%2080%20001.jpg]

Here are the mutes as they are now and some pics of the correct 82 period case (not the one it came in but from a very similar vintage Ray), Teardrop cases appear to be more a feature of the 70's and as nice as they are also fall to bits!

[attachment=106376:Ray mutes.JPG]
[attachment=106377:Ray in case.jpg]
[attachment=106378:Ray case.jpg]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

On a serious note Pete, I agree with what you are saying about 5's once you start playing a lot it feels quite restricting to go back to a 4 again. I have already gone through your dilemma and have even spoken to Bernie to suss out the costs of a 5 string Spitfire!

If you can afford to I would hold on to the 4 because it is still a great bass to have.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1335653042' post='1634363']

This is what Im thinking Mark, Hmmm.
[/quote]

It is a dilemma and the pre is a solid investment, I guess it's not a bad dilemma to have. I really like the duck egg blue Spitfires Bernie does and going on EBS freaks Spitfire 5 I like playing them too. His build quality is the best I have seen only one similar for me is maybe Fodera, better than most of the other builders banded around on BassChat IMO, it's just the waiting time!

Who wants this bass then before I see sense? :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1335631569' post='1634052']
I know Mart thats why its a tentative feeler at the moment, hows that P bass I sold you?
[/quote]

Hey going well Pete, looks a bit different now though.....a typical BBM 70s Fender look.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1335631068' post='1634039'] Don't do it Pete........times change, you'll want a 4 again one day and end up doing the Rimmer knuckle biting thing! [/quote]

+1

You have two 5 strings, sell one of them and buy a classic 5...