Why become a member? ×

Odd temporary nut repair - but it worked

kendall

I recently filed down the nut on my bass and overdid it a little. Whilst waiting for a replacement, I was suggested using a mix of superglue and baking powder to fill in the filed down nut. I did this, and then refiled it. It worked a treat. The replacement nut arrived 3 months ago, but this repair is still holding firm, so I haven't bothered fitting the new nut.

Thought I'd share this as a useful way of a temp repair in an emergency.

Cheers

K.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1335437598' post='1630994']
cool.

nice to see the mixture rose to the occasion.
[/quote] :rolleyes:

Yeah I will post up a pic when i get home this weekend. It came out white, so I coloured it in with a permanent black marker and it looks pretty good.

I've used baking soda and superglue for years to fill in holes, nuts etc. it works a treat if you're fast.
Another trick, if you've been sanding is to collect the dust, sift it and use that instead of/with the baking powder for a decent wood colour match.
Her indoors was quite concerned when she found my little jars of dust though, be warned :)

I've not heard of using baking powder before but I've super glued bit's of paper into over filed slots before. After you've trimmed off any excess with a razor blade the repair is invisible (use a permanent marker to colour the paper for black nuts) It seems to last for ages.
I once saw a double bass bridge that was heavily cut into by the strings , the owner ( a crazy old woman) used it for baroque music , apparently this requires lots of re-tuning and eats bridges. She used "araldite mixed with silver dust and baby powder" and was under the impression that this was the only way to do it. It hadn't worked. A friend of mine glued ebony inserts into the bridge to give a more permanent repair and hopefuly more resistance to ware.

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1335436591' post='1630966']
It worked a treat. The replacement nut arrived 3 months ago, but this repair is still holding firm, so I haven't bothered fitting the new nut.
[/quote]

If it works then why bother!