Why become a member? ×

Shuker PJ?

Musicman20

[left]Hi all[/left]

[left]I am considering a Shuker custom PJ Precision style bass.[/left]

[left]For a few years, well perhaps more than that, I have craved a Seafoam Green (pref nitro) Fender. Something with a lovely dark rosewood board, traditional tuners (lightweight versions), a fairly modern but vintage style duty bridge, all chrome hardware, and with Lindy Fralin Pups. Something that will REALLY blow a Fender out of the water, will be custom, but not too far off what many would see as a Fender inspired design, but much better! I don’t want something absolutely crazy or ‘too custom’ as in won’t really ever appeal to anyone else. [/left]

[left]I’m thinking brown Tort plate, Precision style body (but as light as Jon can make it), Precision spec neck dimensions (more so the modern Fender P neck profile), standard Fender style headstock, with a set of Lindy Fralin P/J style pups in the traditional positions, (60s for the J bridge pup).[/left]

[left]I considered blocks/binding, but I like a P bass to have dots, so I’m sticking with that.[/left]

[left]Oh, and the other thing, I am definitely considering adding the John East P-Retro to make it a totally awesome versatile bass.[/left]

[left]What are everyone’s thoughts? I like the idea that Jon is only 30mins or so from my sister’s house, so I can visit to have a look, test it out, etc. I also like the fact he can provide support for any after sales tweaks I might want to make, or ask for a complete setup every now and then, etc. [/left]

[left]I can’t get this bass from Fender, unless I spend stupid money (£2500 ish for a custom, probably more due to the fact I want the P Retro and Lindy Fralin pups). I also won’t get the after sales care Jon can provide.[/left]

[left]At the moment, its a toss up between this and ordering a new Ernie Ball Musicman Bongo.[/left]

I think for all the reasons you have mentioned, you have my total thumbs up for going to Jon!

I'd say the same to anyone going for a custom instrument: Arrange a meet with Jon and spend some time discussing the bass down to every last detail. What you like in other basses and what you don't like. Discuss tone, weight, neck carve and features too. I think the relationship between you and Luthier is very important in order to make sure you get your dream bass. I spent months talking to Jon about my 7 string. We needed less time to plan my 6 string Shuker as he pretty much knew by then what it is I need in my basses. My 6 string is *still* the best bass I have ever played or owned. Genuinely that includes all of the big names basses.

Jon is up there with the very best in luthiery and I would have no doubt about where my next custom will be coming from.

Doooood.

Sounds like a pretty cool spec!

I know you like your musicman basses (when they pass the MM20 QC Check). Have you considered bringing over any of the features of the MM's?

For example you want a light bass, aren't most musicman basses chambered in some way?

:)

I really need to check out more of Jons work. I am actually stuck between Shuker and ACG for my next build. Good job I can't afford it for ages so I can try lots of stuff out :P

Hey mate,
love the sound of the spec, and I don't think anyone will make you a better bass like that for the money.
There is a small question of a wait, but at the end of the day, it'll be more than worth it.
I'm more of an ACG guy these days, but I have owned 2 Shukers and they were absolutely incredible instruments and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Jon's work.

I'd say go for it :)

Eude