Why become a member? ×

Celinder J Update 4 - SOLD

mrbassman_de

[color=#ff0000][b][size=5]GONE ![/size][/b][/color]

Celinder J Update 4

Specs:

Body: Ash
Finish: Two Tone sunburst
5A Birdseye Maple Neck and Board with MOP block inlays (breathtaking !)
Scale: 34'
Weight: 4,7 kg
Pickups: Celinder Jazz in 70s positions
Preamp: Greengrove CPIII (the original and best Celinder pre !)
Non-Original case

Condition like new ! Everything works fine. Very low action without buzz.

One thing prevents this bass from reaching a price tag far beyond 3k: The bridge needed to be shifted slightly to the side, as the strings did not run straight over the board. I was told by Chris Celinder that this would not affect the tone because the Celinder pickups have blade magnets instead of pole pieces. Aesthetically it is not obvious and hard to see in the pics. The shift of the bridge was done perfectly at Bassline / Krefeld.

Soundwise it is a top '70s Jazz with a thundering slap tone. Chris Celinder is a big fan of Marcus Miller and he achieved his fat slap tone like nobody else. You should check it out personally - the slap tone is to die for...

Edited by mrbassman_de

Good question. I have no idea and Chris himself was surprised. I got the bass from another player who didn't care about the wrong run of the strings and honestly who couldn't have played this beast very much. I was quite disappointed about it but to return the bass was not an option.

There was no evidence that the neck had a relief or had been replaced or mounted badly. Chris offered to have a look at the bass but at that time his shop was closed - so I had concerns to not get back anything in the end. So I decided to go ahead and solve the problem by shifting the bridge...

And it works. The neck is stable, truss rod works and the action is really low.

I played 4 Celinders in the past and this is the one and only quality issue I found on them.

Thanks Rainer,

Really helpful - this looks like a staggering bass and for anybody that hasn't tried a Celinder, I can say without reservation, these basses are among the very best I've ever played. They exist pretty much in a space of their own - really quite magical in every dimension. The issue with the bridge looks very minor and it looks like it's been corrected with a small vertical extension of the mounting hole - a smart, almost invisible fix. This is an amazing price for such a beautiful instrument - I'd have no hesitation if I could cope with long-scale - good luck, not that you should need it!

[quote name='chrisbass13' timestamp='1335192824' post='1626967']
great bass!! how was the bridge shifted? were there any new holes drilled etc.?
[/quote]

Thanks.

Yes, to fix the bridge about 2mm besides the original position you cannot use the old holes anymore. The shift has been done professionally by Bassline / Krefeld / Germany. The old screw holes have been filled and new ones have been drilled. All the work is not visible with the bridge mounted.

The string through option is still there but you would have to widen the holes under the bridge a bit. I haven't used that option but if somebody likes to do so there is some more minor wood work necessary. Again, this is all under the bridge and not visible - but a collector could be concerned about this.

And again - this all is done professionally and does not affect the sound and playability.

I have no idea how and when the wrong bridge position appeared first. I bought the bass from a Danish player and I have got it with the misplaced bridge. It seems that he could not have played it very often and was never concerned about it. I decided to fix the problem instead of sending it back because it sounds, feels, looks and plays so good.

And that's all about it... :) If you like 70s Fender JB sounds - especially the snappy Ash/Maple combo, then this is your bass. Period.

[quote name='Alanbass' timestamp='1335215925' post='1627559']
What a wonderful looking bass. I have bene thinking about a Celinder for some time - is it really 35 inch scale?
[/quote]

Ups ! My mistake ....

[size=6][b]It is of course [color=#ff0000]34' [/color], not 35' !!!![/b][/size]

Sorry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...