Why become a member? ×

New Amp Day: Purple Chili - Phat Bass 750W

Noisyjon

So, way back in September/October this amp caught my attention.
After some emailing with Mike @Purple Chili I pulled the trigger and ordered a 'Phat Bass 750W' amp.

It's a hybrid amp of the valve pre-amp and class D power amp variety. The pre-amp is a Denis Cornell hand wired creation no less! See his other work at [url="http://www.dc-developments.com/index.html"]http://www.dc-develo....com/index.html[/url]

It has: Active & Passive separate inputs, Gain (which starts to colour & distort the more you crank it up), Bass, Middle, Treble and Volume controls.
It does 560W @8 Ohms, 750W @4 Ohms and 1,100W @2 Ohms!!!

From initial usage it sounds great. I had the gain at about 1 o'clock with everything else set roughly at 12 o'clock through one of my Barefaced Compacts and it was sounding very good - A couple of Clash bass lines on my P bass with flats incase you were wondering :lol:

Sorry for the crap picture quality but wanted to show it off :rolleyes:

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1335025581' post='1624948']
Wow!! I love it. How does it sound? Theyre the kinda amp specs that would suit me, class d at 2 ohm. Congrats!
[/quote]

Thanks SOYB.
It does super clean to almost Lemmy on the gain control and the Volume just brings that sound up to your desired level. The EQ is centered at some useful frequencies for tone shaping but I don't know what they are.

ATB,
JTB.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1335098286' post='1625654']
Hey Jon, that rig looks very retro rock. Sort of what you would imagine JPJ or Roger Glover had behind them in their heyday :) Uber cool!
[/quote]

Thanks Clarky!
I really like the fact it not only looks the part but is lightweight gear too :lol:

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1335098665' post='1625660']
i've been wanting to hear one of them. Have you managed to crank it up yet? :ph34r:
[/quote]
Took the Volume to 12 o'clock yesterday through a single Compact and that would have been loud enough for a small gig. The Volume control works in a logarithmic way so will increase in output near the end of it's travel :blink:

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1335098673' post='1625661']
So has the not-at-all-lightweight Mesa 400 had its day then?
[/quote]

Quite possibly Mr. C!

[quote name='craigcapener' timestamp='1335119482' post='1626040']
Very nice mate! If you don't mind me asking..how much did she set you back? I've been thinking about trading my stupid heavy rack for one of these badboys! Not seen any other class D amps that do 2ohm.
[/quote]

Hi Craig,

It lists at £1,400- £1,500 but I got an introductory Basschat offer from Mike of £900. Don't know if that still applies though?

Cheers,
Jon