Why become a member? ×

GONE: Converse All-Stars UK9

Jono Bolton

How do? I've recently bought a pair of Converse, size 9, same as these ones [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CONVERSE-ALL-STAR-HI-BLACK-MONOTONE-TRAINERS-UK-9_W0QQitemZ320238920187QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1262QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]here[/url]. I've bought them for a wedding I'm going to in 2 weeks, so I need them for that, but after that I can't see me wearing them after that.
I dunno if this is the right section to put them in, but they're not for free, but for trade. I'm looking for a pair of 'Classic' Converse, black canvas/white rubber or similar, same size. Anyone interested? PM me!
Jono

Edited by jono b

Ah the famous rock and roll daps? Doesn't [i]everyone[/i] wear them on stage?

"From the Clash to the Kaiser Chiefs and Blondie to the Beatles, Converse have been the musician's footwear of choice. Krissi Murison wonders how a sports shoe - now owned by Nike - came to symbolise the spirit of rock "
Guardian Friday March 21 2008
[url="http://music.guardian.co.uk/pop/story/0,,2267214,00.html"]Article[/url]

Edited by OldGit

Yep, I've been wearing them for years now, but then Nike took them over, they became more popular and as the prices went up, the quality dropped rapidly. They're nowhere near as durable as they used to be even 4 years ago. Sad times.

[quote name='jono b' post='177354' date='Apr 15 2008, 08:59 PM']Yep, I've been wearing them for years now, but then Nike took them over, they became more popular and as the prices went up, the quality dropped rapidly. They're nowhere near as durable as they used to be even 4 years ago. Sad times.[/quote]

"Tell that to kids these days and they don't believe you ...."
:)

I buy Lonsdale copies from Sports World, when they're in stock. Unless you're a badge snob, they come in at around £7 a pair and I think they're better quality ;p

As for why musicians wear them... Well, I find they're good pedal stompin' shoes at least!

[quote name='jono b' post='177354' date='Apr 15 2008, 08:59 PM']Yep, I've been wearing them for years now, but then Nike took them over, they became more popular and as the prices went up, the quality dropped rapidly. They're nowhere near as durable as they used to be even 4 years ago. Sad times.[/quote]

^^

My first pair lasted a couple of years (everyday wear), but I've found now I'm going through a pair every 9 months or so.

In fact, I got a new pair (the fourth pair iirc) at Christmas, I'm starting to wear through the inner sole (the canvas bit) already after 4 months :S

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='OldGit' post='177374' date='Apr 15 2008, 09:10 PM']"Tell that to kids these days and they don't believe you ...."
:)[/quote]

Well, I'm still a kid myself pretty much (21). I started wearing them because my dad's friend - who I believe is in his mid-50s - has worn them for as long as I can remember. He runs an outdoor adventure kind of place in Botswana and used to take 3 pairs out there and would just be on his third pair when he returned 9 months later. Being back in Scotland finished the last pair off though :huh:

[quote name='Buzz' post='177382' date='Apr 15 2008, 09:16 PM']^^

My first pair lasted a couple of years (everyday wear), but I've found now I'm going through a pair every 9 months or so.

In fact, I got a new pair at Christmas, I'm starting to wear through the inner sole (the canvas bit) already after 4 months :S[/quote]

Yeah, I weigh a lot more now too :huh:

I have two pairs in different colours for different types of gigs/bands but my poor ol' feet are damaged now and a bout of plantar fasciitis last year means I have to wear corrective/protective inserts now so a 3 hour set in the Rock n Roll Daps hurts too much ..
:)
Mine will therefore last many years ...

[quote name='Finbar' post='177378' date='Apr 15 2008, 09:14 PM']I buy Lonsdale copies from Sports World, when they're in stock. Unless you're a badge snob, they come in at around £7 a pair and I think they're better quality ;p

As for why musicians wear them... Well, I find they're good pedal stompin' shoes at least![/quote]

Not a label snob as such, but there are subtle differences in the design that put me off the copies, to me they don't look quite right. Dunlops are brilliant though, the same basic thing, but chunkier and more durable, but they don't look like poor copies.

You're totally right there - they have gone sh1t. :)
Used to last for ages, just like Sambas. Now there's a classic too!

When I was still at college, I used to wear one green, and one pink, or one black one white, or any combination!! I used to love em! My local sports shop used to sell them off at £10 a pair. They used to last about a term, I used to walk everywhere in them, My current pair I've had for about 2 months, and they're buggered!! The best copies I have found are french connection, Theyre built like tanks, and cost me £12 in TK MAXX!! :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='177407' date='Apr 15 2008, 09:51 PM']I have a couple of pairs but find they get really stinky of you wear them day after day much more than other trainers...[/quote]

i find odour eaters does the trick for me

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='177596' date='Apr 16 2008, 08:54 AM']what he said! :)[/quote]

At least I'm not the one getting married! A friend of mine was at a wedding last year where the groom was wearing converse with his suit. Actually now I think about it, the friend of my dad mentioned earlier in the thread was best man at his friends wedding, spent about £500 on a new tweed suit, and £20 on a pair of new blue Converse :huh:
Also, in that (Mastercard?) advert where the naked man's running and uses his credit card to pick up new clothes and get cleaned up on his way to his wedding, he's wearing Converse too. Seems to be a popular idea ;)

[quote name='jono b' post='177967' date='Apr 16 2008, 03:49 PM']At least I'm not the one getting married! A friend of mine was at a wedding last year where the groom was wearing converse with his suit. Actually now I think about it, the friend of my dad mentioned earlier in the thread was best man at his friends wedding, spent about £500 on a new tweed suit, and £20 on a pair of new blue Converse :)
Also, in that (Mastercard?) advert where the naked man's running and uses his credit card to pick up new clothes and get cleaned up on his way to his wedding, he's wearing Converse too. Seems to be a popular idea :huh:[/quote]

Suit and Converse?
Time(lord)less fashion:

[quote name='paul, the' post='183764' date='Apr 23 2008, 01:14 PM']'2 years' :)

I've recently retired my boots. I think they're older than me. And I could always have them re-soled.

Converse at a wedding sounds awesome. I hope it's been ok'd, though. Women can get funny about this sort of thing, I understand.[/quote]

Rule number one at weddings:

For brides 'n' grooms, best men, caterers, flower arrangers, string quartets and, of course, function bands:

Please the Muthu's

That's the Bride and Groom's mothers - all 4 of them if necessary.
If you do that you win.
If not, you loose.
It's simple fact of (wedding day) life.

[quote name='paul, the' post='183764' date='Apr 23 2008, 01:14 PM']'2 years' :)

I've recently retired my boots. I think they're older than me. And I could always have them re-soled.

Converse at a wedding sounds awesome. I hope it's been ok'd, though. Women can get funny about this sort of thing, I understand.[/quote]

Yep, OK'd by my girlfriend's mum. It's my girlfriend's cousin who's getting married, don't think she's too bothered, but had to check with the girlfriend's mum because she is funny about stuff like that. I wanted classic 'black canvas, white rubber' ones but the weren't deemed appropriate, so these all black ones are the compromise. Thing is I don't like them that much, and probably wont wear them again, so I thought I'd see if anyone wanted a trade.