Why become a member? ×

Warwick Alien 6-String

dmz

Interesting ! - I knew the 4- and 5-strings have been in the pipeline for a while but have taken an age for Warwick to get them right. The 6-er is quite unusual - usually the preserve of people like Shuker or Kinal.

Would definitely try first before buying - have always fancied a fretless 4- or 5-string Alien with flatwounds mind.........

[quote name='dmz' timestamp='1334698603' post='1620085']
...Would definitely try first before buying - have always fancied a fretless 4- or 5-string Alien with flatwounds mind.........
[/quote]
Well, anytime you're near South Wales, drop in and try my fretless 4-string Alien with TI flats. :)

(The photo was taken with the stock strings before I put the TIs on).

• 2 weeks later...

Whaow, 6 strings !

Did you notice the body design which different from the 4 version. No sharp angle on the 5 and 6 versions.

A 6 fretless version would suit me. Here the 5 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V23AlSa-9As&feature=related

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1335594209' post='1633466']
Hmm, these sound rubbish in these videos! I'm sure I've heard them elsewhere sounding better than that.
[/quote]

The clip in post #7 sounds fine to me played through decent speakers! I'd be happy enough with a tone like that from an acoustic bass (even amplified)... I've heard a lot worse. :D

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1335596744' post='1633480']
The clip in post #7 sounds fine to me played through decent speakers! I'd be happy enough with a tone like that from an acoustic bass (even amplified)... I've heard a lot worse. :D
[/quote]

I've heard worse too (good grief, I've heard some bad ABG's over the years) but to me it still sounds pump, and definitely not befitting of the Alien's price tag!

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1335483660' post='1632176']
...Did you notice the body design which different from the 4 version. No sharp angle on the 5 and 6 versions.
...[/quote]
Er no, it's a different body design between the Warwick-branded Alien and the Rockbass one. All the RBs have the rounded horn, and all the Warwicks have the sharp (Florentine?) horn:
[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?cl=EN&katID=23256&linkID=48214"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?cl=EN&katID=23256&linkID=48214[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yes, i didn't notice the first post was a Rockbass 6er.
I watched a new time to the 2nd vid and the bassist says Rockbass.
Both real beautiful lutheries.
Usually the difference is much obvious between a Rockbass and European made.
Actually, i prefer the round shape body, it looks to me more balanced : round headstock and body, curve global design so...round horn is logical.;-)

Anyway, given that prices are not identicals i presume, i have to check if it does worth the difference.

The body looks quite big, doesn't it ?
The guys don't look little.

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1337588696' post='1662230']...Usually the difference is much obvious between a Rockbass and European made....
[/quote]
Yes, and no. For the Streamers the difference is obvious: the originals (and the Korean Pros) are curved, whereas the Rockbass is a slab. But for Corvettes the only obvious difference is the tiny writing on the headstock, unless you're looking at a natural finish and can tell one wood from another.

But with the Aliens it's more confusing, because they're all made in China, whether they say "Warwick" or "Rockbass".

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1337588696' post='1662230']...Anyway, given that prices are not identicals i presume, i have to check if it does worth the difference.....
[/quote]
The list prices are about £500, £700 and £1500 for the standard, deluxe and Warwick versions (4-string). So yes, there's quite a difference in price! It'd be interesting to hear how different they sound. If you get a 6-string then even the electrics seem to be the same for all 3 models (though they're different for 4 or 5 stringers).

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1337593467' post='1662319']
Yes, and no. For the Streamers the difference is obvious: the originals (and the Korean Pros) are curved, whereas the Rockbass is a slab. But for Corvettes the only obvious difference is the tiny writing on the headstock, unless you're looking at a natural finish and can tell one wood from another.
[/quote]

The Rockbass Corvette's that I have seen have a totally different neck too - I seem to remember them having a maple neck rather than the ovangkol of German made Warwicks - and they feel completely different.

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1337594902' post='1662348']
The Rockbass Corvette's that I have seen have a totally different neck too - I seem to remember them having a maple neck rather than the ovangkol of German made Warwicks - and they feel completely different.
[/quote]

Yes, the Rockbass Corvette has a maple neck, with ekanga veneers and rosewood fingerboard.

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1337594902' post='1662348']
[/quote]
Good reminder! Although, of course, there have been some German-made Wicks with maple necks, like the Fortress I used to own:

There is no doubt about the difference between a rockbass and a European WW ( lutherie, ergonomy, details, Wood, look...).
Fortunatly i would say because why would you pay for ?

To talk a little about China situation, i refuse to buy a chinese bass when i see movies about real slavery happening over there. Poor people.
I wish chinese workers could have decents working conditions. I will seriously check it if i plan to buy a "made in China" Rockbass.
Human rights associations give the real situation about Apple, Nike, etc ... for examples.

To come back to Aliens basses prices, i was talking about the difference between a Alien Rockbass 6er and a Alien 6er "sharp horn" body.
I plan to compare prices lists.

Edited by Emanew