Why become a member? ×

Gibson 'The Ripper' SOLD

sniperschool

Sorry for the rubbish pictures
I can't take any better ones until Wednesday evening

Serial is 3xx986 so I think that makes it a '74

feel free to mail me with any questions

The first bass ('70's Music Man) I posted on here sold in a day but the second (USA RI Precision) took about 3 months!
So please someone let me know if I've got the price really wrong on this one

Can collect in person from London or Essex or you can pay to have it posted/shipped

Thanks

£695 + P&P

[color=#ff0000][size=6]SOLD[/size][/color]

Edited by sniperschool

By 'nice price' I'd say you've got it bang on - this will shift; and I'm sure there's a few of us counting pennies as I type :lol:

Looks in good nick. I've been a bit greedy, adding a Stingray and Lakland 44-02... so someone else should go for this before I get divorced for shuffling the collection again :lol:

Bump for one of Gibsons best 70s efforts

Natural Rippers usually go somewhere in the region of £600 - £800. An original case and rare colour might go higher still.

Looks to be pretty ding-free - so I expect you'll shift it fairly soon - perhaps you should confirm that these are the original pickups, not the SD remakes?

Thanks for the replies

To be honest I have no idea if it's maple as I've never even seen it! (I got it in a trade for some studio time)

It's being dropped off on Wednesday so I can look at it more closely and take better pictures

Edited by sniperschool

I think the price is about right and realistic. The case doesn't appear to be original but the pickups do (for information, it's extremely difficult to find a decent case that will fit a Ripper - thought the Hiscox STD-EBP is a good option). I'd love this just to rip the scratchplate out and replace the highly modified electronics in my old Ripper. I had the latter heavily modified and activitated in the 80s and it lost its characteristic tone!

A bit more - it would be worth seeing a photograph of the rear - this looks like an earlier Ripper, the later version had a tray/retainer inset into the back of the body rather than simple holes for through-body stringing. I favour the earlier version.

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1334310190' post='1614128']
A bit more - it would be worth seeing a photograph of the rear - this looks like an earlier Ripper, the later version had a tray/retainer inset into the back of the body rather than simple holes for through-body stringing. I favour the earlier version.
[/quote]

Yes my early Grabber has this simple hole arrangement and I think it works better than the later multiple string 'tray' retainer, a view of the back would be good!

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1334326775' post='1614634']

Yes my early Grabber has this simple hole arrangement and I think it works better than the later multiple string 'tray' retainer, a view of the back would be good!
[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Considering Gibson's (and perhaps American manufacturing's in general) cockeyed aim in the 70s when it came to drilling holes, the tray looks a damn sight neater than the individual holes, IMHO of course ;)

Have a slightly argumentative bump :)

Thanks for all the PM's
I hadn't noticed them earlier but I've replied to everyone now

Not looking for any trades apart from maybe a SVT Classic head
Also not desperate for the cash hence the 'thanks but no thanks' replies to the PM offers

It's just that the Ripper isn't something I'm really fussed about keeping so may as well sell it
I got a '72 Ivory 4001 this week to go with the ebony one in this picture (I also have a blue one)
So other basses are demanding my pennies right now :)

Edited by sniperschool