Why become a member? ×

first basses

jojoagogo234

iv been playing bass for 6 years, and have only really liked ONE bass. not because it is amazing to look at, or perfect to play, but because it was my first.... and i cant find anything that feels the same.

iv owned a couple of other basses, but sold them after about a month of owning them and going back to my first. has anyone else ever had this problem ??

^^ thats it by the way.... well my one is left handed though :)

In a word, no, but then that`s because I started playing in 1981, and the quality of starter instruments back then was rather poor. Action at least a half inch from the fretboard, and not adjustable either. And, those starter instruments were also very expensive - mine costing £50, way more than 100 times than the price of an average pint of beer back then.

Now the standard of even the cheapest instruments is truly amazing in comparison, so I can see why anyone having started out in the last 10 years or so would possibly have this predicament.

My first bass was a Westone Thunder 1A back in 1984 - still considered to be a good VFM bass by many - I even tried to get it back when it was sold to a friend of mine for £10 - he "lent" it to a friend of the family only for it to "go missing".

It didn't suffer with any of the issues associated with "cheap" basses of that era - it was active, had a slim neck profile and was quite well balanced IIRC - had it set up by a guitarist friend and it was a dream to play - lovely first bass (much better than the fretless Hohner which I bought later, played for months before realising it was a crock of 5h1t and returned to playing the Westone)

I'd forgotten that I'd owned a Cort similar to the one you've got...the edge of the P P/ups were quite sharp to the point where I had to sand the edge off...I found it quite unremarkable as a bass..it didn't last long...sold it shortly after buying my Jaydee Roadie..

I had a Hondo pro mkii, not a bad bass, but walked in my local music shop that was going bust at 5 mins to 5, they closed at 5 for the last time and walked out with a USA fender precision for £115 in 1983, all the money I had in my bank, it had a ticket on of £675, I just took it home and stared at it all night, frightened to even put my greasy hands on it.
The guy in the store, recognised me as someone who bought everything from the store, strings, picks, the hondo mkii, I had top go in every week as he let me have the hondo at £10 a week and called me forward from the massing crowd of bargain grabbers.
He took it off the wall and said, screw the receivers, I know how much you want a fender.
I think it made his day to see my face as I ran my hands over the face of the bass.
I think we both shed a few tears
The bass lives in my loft, even I need an appointment to touch it.

Edited by vax2002

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1334266626' post='1613687']
Definately not.My first bass was purchased in 1979.It was ( still is) a Kay gibson EB copy.sh*te is too good a word.
[/quote]

That`s what mine was. A very accurate description there!

Mine was a black Hondo II P-bass with a rosewood fretboard that a friend had won in a dare. He had to dive off a jetty into the Atlantic, which he did and sold the bass to me a few years later. The neck would make a banana look straight and I knew nothing about setting up a guitar until years later. I gave it to a friend of mine in the late nineties who performed all kinds of evil on the bass until the parts were scattered all over South Western Africa.

Is far as I know, that bass was at least four people's first bass and helped to launch at least two careers.

My first bass was a poor made cricket bat that never was.

Action was a short bus ride from the neck, it stayed in tune for about three notes & the jack plug was dodgey & sometimes gave me a static shock. It didn't even have a manufacturers name on it..........i loved that Bass !

My first bass was a terrible Satellite short scale thing back in 1982, followed by a Westone Thunder 1 from my mates mum's Littlewood catalogue, that was quiet good.
In December 1984 a bought a 57 Squier Precision in Fiesta Red, and have pretty much played a P Bass ever since. :)

My first bass was a marlin sidewinder so def never goin back to that! My first 'proper' bass was a yamaha rbx870a sold it to a mate for £100 back in '94 then went straight to soundslive and bought a brand new warwick fortress one! Its been my main bass ever since and i'll be buried with it!

My first bass was a Kay P-bass in 1980/1 ish.
It weighed a ton, had an action about 1/2" at the 12th and was utter garbage.
I could not wait to replace it.

I bought a JV Squier 62P which I still have although for the last 4 months it has retired to spare bass status.

So in answer to the OP it is a definite NO