Why become a member? ×

NOTICE FOR OWNERS OF RICKENBACKER COPIES

Kiwi

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1334172679' post='1612112']
What a way to generate business, good feeling and customer care. What a pity that many bass players (on this forum) might have been selling their 'copy' basses to move on to the real thing. Oh, now they can't because the CEO of 'real thing' does not want their money. I had the real thing, for about 10 years 1980 - 1990. Have not bought another, and now, will never. Do ask me about long term build quality by the way at any time.
[/quote]

I [i]craved[/i] the 4001 as a youngster. Had an Ibby, then a few years later got the real thing. Two, in fact: an old 4001 and a 4001s-8; both were dogs. Didn't put me off, for years later I bought a good few, most s/h but some new. I put up with blotchy Blue Boy and the 660DCM's nut being badly cut but the condescending, patronising comments sunk RIC for me, for ever.

And what about that fella in Italy thats making the RIC rip-offs: Have you gone after him, Mr Hall? Or are you merely focussing, like a school bully, on the private-selling small fry?

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1334173610' post='1612139']
Having once been a member of the Ric forum, many of whose hugely partisan members positively revel in ratting out Rickenfaker sales, I can only imagine they are planning an invasion of our small island waving their (dual) truss rods in righteous indignation
[/quote]

Was on there ten mins back; they're all asleep. So far.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1334173432' post='1612135']
Neither will RIC, but it really does take some doing to alienate so many possible customers, in one niche market, in one day.
Wish there was an applause emoticon :P
[/quote]

That is the sad truth. I don't buy the Ric QC thing as, having owned several new Fender, MM and Modulus basses with QC problems requiring work, I don't see Ric as being any different (and to be honest the two Rics I've owned from new have been outstanding in every way). However, playing music is an emotional process, and choice of instrument is part of that emotion; many folks want to feel sympatico with the maker of an instrument. I'm not sure JH understands this?

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1334170186' post='1612047']
As for why JH doesn't license mass produced Far Eastern copies, it's because he doesn't have the inclination. He believes in the quality of his instruments, they're tied up with his personal history and he grew up knowing his family were closely involved with an iconic design. Why would he want to cheapen the family brand?
[/quote]

The thing is he doesn't have to licence to a Far Eastern manufacturer. A stripped-to-the-basics affordable US-made instrument is completely possible as Gibson have recently shown (QC issues notwithstanding). If they did something like the 4000; one pickup, basic controls, no binding, dot inlays a true budget Rick that's still a proper Rick should be easily acheivable. I mean, they already use CNC routers so it's not like they can even say the instruments are truly handmade any more anyway.

As for believing in the quality of his instruments... well, belief alone doesn't make things true.... :gas:

I hope JH is in good contract. Is RIC private or shareholders, if the latter I hope they realise the sterling work the CEO is doing to build sales with the UK premier bass player forum. Ironic part: I actually liked my RIC despite the 'faults' and would have considered buying another. Just so JH knows I am in the grey age bracket with disposable income. However bullying private individuals goes against my libertarian principles, so no new RIC for me. Sale lost JH.

Edited by 3below

Sorry chaps, I'm going to have to lock this thread and let things cool off for a couple of days. Someone has registered a fake account in the name of John Hall and its taking things too far.

He's representing his companies interests, there is no need to make things personal.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1334176697' post='1612237']
Sorry chaps, I'm going to have to lock this thread and let things cool off for a couple of days. Someone has registered a fake account in the name of John Hall and its taking things too far.

He's representing his companies interests, there is no need to make things personal.
[/quote]

IBTL

OK so the legal opinion is...

...this is still a grey area. Case law is still inconsistent in terms of defining a clear standard, although there appears to be a move more recently in favour of trademark holders being given the benefit of the doubt in their claims.

So the action we took in complying with John Hall's request was sensible and in the best interests of the forum given the legal uncertainty. We've also been advised to be vigilant in ensuring that other trademark infringements don't take place in the future, so we will be acting promptly in the event of any future complaints.

Apologies to members but I hope its understood the forum needs to be safeguarded. I've updated the initial post accordingly.

• 3 months later...

I've been asked to 'Police' the issue of potential copyright infringement of Rickenbacker designs and trademarks.

Kiwi has made our position clear. We will respect the wishes of the copyright owner in these cases. Despite this notice being made as public as possible, it seems that some members - new & established have not read it, or have read it and chosen to ignore it.

To make the position of the owners of Basschat clear, please take notice that ANY infringement of copyright against Rickenbacker - such as displaying any form of representation of the copyrighted trademarks or designs (which are clearly detailed in the communications from John Hall attached to the first post of this topic, and are pictorially represented below); and/or any reference, either by the topic starter or by any person posting in that topic;[list=1]
[*]To any advertised goods being in any way a Rickenbacker product when they are not a genuine product originally manufactured by Rickenbacker or under licence from them;
[*]To any such advertised goods bearing any resemblance to any copyrighted design or trademark owned by Rickenbacker;
[/list]

Will result in:[list]
[*]The advert or post being deleted without notice.
[*]The offending topic starter or poster will receive a warning and will be banned from that section of the forum where the advert or comment was posted for 14 days.
[*]After the 14 day ban, the topic starter or poster will be allowed access to that forum again IF a clear understanding is received by the Moderation team by the topic starter/poster that they will not act in the same or similar way again, and that they fully understand the property rights being owned and exerted by Rickenbacker.
[*]If the same person then goes on to commit any other infringement against the designs or copyrights owned by Rickenbacker, they will be banned from the whole forum permanently.
[/list]
The copyrighted designs and trademarks are as follows:

[attachment=114141:Rickenbacker Headstock.jpg]

[attachment=114142:Rickenbacker Trademarks.jpg]

[attachment=135198:body.jpg]

• 9 months later...