Why become a member? ×

Help on value of my Fender Precision Please (1969)

loudandclear

Looking at selling my Precision so any advice/opinions from all fender experts would be greatly appreciated.
I bought this a few years ago now off the forum. Pretty sure its a refin but obviously done some considerable time ago. It has also had a repair to the headstock which I have tried to photo as much as possible and actualy looks worse in the photos than in real life. This repair was again done some considerable time ago and has been stable for many years. The only other thing I know of is that one of the screws in the back of the machine heads is not oiginal.
Currently strung with flatwounds the bass is not too heavy (just under 10lbs) sounds and feels like a really good 69 Precision.
I know the market is pretty flat right now so dont really have an idea of value so would be very grateful for opinions from those with knowledge.
Many thanks

Edited by loudandclear

[quote name='loudandclear' timestamp='1334058100' post='1610192']
Looking at selling my Precision so any advice/opinions from all fender experts would be greatly appreciated.
I bought this a few years ago now off the forum. Pretty sure its a refin but obviously done some considerable time ago. It has also had a repair to the headstock which I have tried to photo as much as possible and actualy looks worse in the photos than in real life. This repair was again done some considerable time ago and has been stable for many years. The only other thing I know of is that one of the screws in the back of the machine heads is not oiginal.
Currently strung with flatwounds the bass is not too heavy (just under 10lbs) sounds and feels like a really good 69 Precision.
I know the market is pretty flat right now so dont really have an idea of value so would be very grateful for opinions from those with knowledge.
Many thanks

[font=Arial][size=2][url="http://www.flickr.com//photos/71922263@N05/sets/72157629783417289/show/"]http://www.flickr.co...783417289/show/[/url][/size][/font]
[/quote]

The neck, aside from the headstock damage, looks exceptionally clean considering the state of the body. Was the neck refinished recently?

if this was all original and undamaged the pre 70's precisions seem to be pushing 3-3.5k in the current market. However, a lot of the businesses/ people seem to be having a hard time selling at these prices at the moment.

I would expect this to make just under 2k though, with a proper refinish it will look, and I'm sure play, great.

My sources for this estimate is based on years of trawling through sites such as ebay, vintageandrareguitars.com, wunjoguitars, andybaxterbass, thebassgallery.com ect. I've got a list of about 20 UK vintage traders saved on my other laptop

Edited by blackmn90

The finish is not good and probably not original, the neck looks too clean in comparison to the body which raises questions, there is serious repair work to the neck and one of the pots and the bridge don't look original either.

This might be a great sounding and playing bass but as a Fender, vintage or not, it raises too many questions and it misses out on top money on too many fronts.

I think you'd be hard pressed to get 1.5K. But then I'm not an expert.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1334138809' post='1611336']
The finish is not good and probably not original, the neck looks too clean in comparison to the body which raises questions, there is serious repair work to the neck and one of the pots and the bridge don't look original either.

This might be a great sounding and playing bass but as a Fender, vintage or not, it raises too many questions and it misses out on top money on too many fronts.

I think you'd be hard pressed to get 1.5K. But then I'm not an expert.
[/quote]

I think Chris is probably about right here. The fact that it's 60's rather than 70's makes an emotional difference to some people & will nudge value up correspondingly. Unfortunately the body refin, a neck which looks much cleaner than the body and that headstock erpair, however good it is, are all going to hit value pretty hard I have a few Fender P's at the moment (63, 64, 72, 79) and the only one of those that cost over £2K was the 63 which has an older refin body & early 70's guard but is otherwise more or less original.

With a really good refin this would definitely go up in value (I'm basing this on the fact that it's already be refinned once). However you'd be looking at between £280 & £400 for a really good job. With a nice refin, and in a desirable colour, then I think you'd be able to hit £2K, depends on how much that neck repair is going to bother people though. It's certainly enough to put off the more serious collector but shouldn't worry someone who wants a 'player' so long as the repair is really solid & showing no signs of opening up again.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1334138809' post='1611336']
[/quote]

Yep. I think the most likely explanation is that the neck has been refinished when the headstock repair was carried out.