Why become a member? ×

Amplifier routing from Desk

jim_bass

I would like to move our guitarists amp off stage and put it in a sound proofed box (so we can crank it up and mic it and keep the volume down on the stage).

This is what I want to do...

Guitar --> Pedal Board --> DI --> Multicore --> Mixing Desk

From the desk I would like to send a signal to the Guitar in on the Amp and then Mic up the cab (with an SM57) and take the mic signal back into the desk.

I am wondering how to get the signal to and from the amp.

Should I use a channel insert, Direct out, or route it through an FX send and then just come into a new channel on the desk?

Also, in this months 'Guitar and Bass' magazine there is a wiring diagram for a reamp box. do I need one of these to convert the send from the desk back into a guitar level signal?

Anyone have any ideas?

The reamp box corrects the impedance so you get a signal that 'looks' like a guitar going in to the amp, ideally you want to do this for the best results. Is there a reason for sending the unamplified signal through the desk first? Would be simpler to send it straight to the amp as normal and pick up the Mic there.

You can either take it straight off the multicore or out from the insert. Probably the same thing.

Why aren't you just taking the guitar lead straight to the amp off stage? Wherevwill the amp be located in relation to the guitar and mixer. Long guitar leads should be ok driven from the pedal outs.

Back to the desk is straightforward.

Edited by TimR

The stage is 40m of multicore away from the desk so I figured that I ought to send a balanced signal down the cable.

The amp will be located at the rear of the hall on a balcony above the sound desk (for ease of cabling).

It is for a church building and the stage has to be set up twice a week, It makes sense to keep as much stuff set up off stage to make it easier and faster for set up.

We would like to move the amp off stage to create a bit more room as space is limited. The amp is a fender blues jr (valve combo).

If the guitarist's rig is in an isolation booth, why not use a Palmer PDI-09 between the amplifier and the speaker?

Or, if you can get a Speaker Emulator like the Marshall SE100 which does the same job AND has a power-soak capability you won't even need the isolation booth.

How does the guitarist hear himself if he doesn't have the combo as a monitor, and why would a Blues Junior be too loud anyway?

Given that the Blues Jr is a pretty titchy amp, is stage space really the key issue? Or is it that the guitarist is giving it that old 'I have to run it loud so the tubes give me my tone thing'. Because these juniors can be nasty little beasts when they're cranked up.

Assuming the amp [i]really[/i] has to be offstage, why go through all these cable routing issues when your guitarist can simply buy a wireless pack and send gtr > pedals > transmitter > receiver > amp at the desired offstage location?

And - frankly - enclosing a cranked valve combo inside a soundproof box seems like a quick way to some serious heat damage issues. There's a reason these valve amps have open backs - the valves need ventilation. If you want to use a speaker coffin, it's best to box an extension speaker from the combo, rather than box the combo itself. Makes it easier to adjust the amp controls mid-gig, too.

In the old days, guys with this vol / tone problem would just turn their amp around to face the back of the stage - about 3 feet or so from the back wall. Disperses the sound a bit and cuts the noise by a few useful dB - even more if there's a stage curtain back there.

Maybe he could try this last idea before the rest of you bust your chops trying all the other stuff. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

I'm with Skank'swireless idea. It is also possible to run a lead from guitar to pedals and then from pedals into the transmitter pack. The reciever can sit on top of the isolated amp behind the desk.