Why become a member? ×

School boy errors at gigs - my worst was last night

Cat Burrito

many years ago, played with a group of "classical" guitarists, did a concert and in one piece we all had to play something with drop-D tuning. Next up was me & a mate playing Vivaldi's Concerto in G for 2 mandolins, transposed to A for guitars. I forgot to retune my E string. Ever since then I have refused to play in anything other than standard tuning.

One time while I was doing sound for a band at a wedding, we got all of the gear in for the bassist to find that he'd left his amp head at the rehearsal studio, some 50 miles away. Luckily he had a Line 6 unit (okay, maybe not so lucky...) so that we could take a line into the desk and use the amp modelling to bodge a useable sound.

Another time with the same band (who btw I now play for) the drummer threw a stick into the crowd after a solo - OK when you're playing Wembley Arena, but not so in a pub with the audience 10 feet away! It clocked some guy on the head and later on we heard that the shock from this triggered his psoriasis, which that doctor gave him an ointment for that made his hair fall out!

Same drummer, different gig - after nearly killing us all on the drive up ("What traffic lights?!") he almost refused to play a gig because he was charged for soda water at the bar. This was, btw, a charity gig in aid of a local man with leukaemia!

I love drummers!

Wander on to a darkened stage, plug in, opening power chord, lights blaze out, spin to face audience with puzzled looks from the rest of the Band. Very, very quiet Bass, which wasn't rectified by turning of volume knobs on either Bass or Amp. :o Begin panic mode, until a side spotlight reveals that the [i]extremely [/i]efficient passive/active switch which is RIGHT BESIDE the input, has been pressed in by my clumsy fumblings in the dark. :rolleyes: Quickly press it again, then dive for all the volume knobs that I previously maxed out, because I'm instantly much louder than everybody else! :blush: Not a great design (IMO) which quickly turned into a schoolboy error. I love old Peaveys, but you have to remember their quirks at all times, otherwise you too can experience the longest 20 seconds of your life. :lol:

Just been laughing my tits off at all the above. I've done quite a few of them! Just a general thing that I do to alleviate gear left behind - I load the car exactly the same way every time, everything in the same order and then point at everything and verbally 'tick off' each bit. So far, it's never failed.

hmm, still a school boy here.

Last Saturday, big choir and orchestra, playing to notation, but had committed a couple of pieces to memory as they needed more of a performance from the bass. Sat down for the start of the 2nd half, opened folder to music for first song of 2nd half, starts with a run of four big notes starting on beat 2. Watched the beat in and Bam, bam bam, bam... ah. Wrong song.

The first song was one that I had committed to memory and so didn't have the music in my folder, I'd crashed in with the second. Realised straight away but couldn't manage a seamless link and change of key. Hate to think how it must have sounded!

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1333456673' post='1601915']
Started a gig a few years ago and wondered why the bass didn't sound in tune for the first few numbers....

The tuner I use has a facility for tuning the instrument a semitone flat and I'd tuned up in a hurry - felt a right Muppett! :(
[/quote]Did the very same thing at a gig in Glasgow a few years back,I noticed in the second song something was not right,putting it down to cold guitar coming in to hot venue.....picked up spare guitar for next song,the very same thing happened with that guitar,our guitar player sussed it and said,that new tuner...have you set it up right! Red face time,specially when I made some smart remark through the mike about the sound from the bass cabinet to the guy mixing the sound and a few of the punters shouted back,just tune your bass ya dick!....

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1333450296' post='1601754']

I forgot my bass for an open air gig in the centre of Edinburgh in front of hundreds of people. Ran back to the rehearsal room picked up the bass just got back in time for us to start then realised I'd forgotten my lead! Ended up having to use one of the keyboard players patch leads which was about 6 inches long.

Did I feel like a plonker? Possibly :blink:
[/quote]

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1333469338' post='1602198']
Worst I do, and I do it every time, is mixing up the input and output up on my Zoom pedal. Obviously this results in no sound :) Thankfully the 'problem' is fully resolved by the time I've actually got to play...........
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333555965' post='1603528']
Ah now then Rich, I can help you here. What I do is look closely at the pedal to see where it says OUT. I plug the amp into this one. Then cunningly, using the principle of elimination, I calculate that the other one must surely be IN. I plug the bass into this one. Never fails! :lol: ;)...........
[/quote]

Ah yes, but 'my' Zoom pedal also has a 'control' input/output socket which will eventually incur a fail if accounted for as above :shok: :biggrin:

daftest one was depping for a well known band,yes knew the song,great it started with bass and vocal...on the wrong string,it was real bad for about ten seconds,the realization,the sick feeling..One more..one of those gigs where fuses and plugs get trodden on,had used the spares...the was an old keyboard at the back of the stage area,I stole the plug ,did the sound chech all ok,then the management inform me about a half time act..yes youve already got it ,,,,a keyboard player,, :gas:

• 2 weeks later...