Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot BFC

obbm

The mother and father of Trace Elliot speaker cabs. The reason/project for which I bought this has gone away so it's up for sale.

Originally designed to work with the AH-1000 head it comprises 2 x (2x10-inch plus horn, 250-watt, 4-ohm) and 1 x 1x15-inch, 500-watt, 4-ohm. It would a simple matter to change the the 15-inch driver to an 8-ohm unit and rewire the 10s to give a total 4-ohm cab.

£250 . Most certainly collect only or I can deliver with 100-miles of Farnham/Guildford for cost of the diesel.

Edited by obbm

Well it's "bass frequency cab", but I think most people would just call it a "big f***ing cab" :)

I've had one of these before and it is [u][b]the[/b][/u] cab to use if you want the trace sound people talk about, since you need big surface area to appreciate it and it seems like the way it is built adds to the tone... having owned two pre-gibson 4x10s as well.

Killer cab if your comfortable tinkering, hell i'm thinking about buying it....

So from your description, I can ascertain that it is a 2 Ohm cab??

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='175776' date='Apr 13 2008, 07:04 PM']So from your description, I can ascertain that it is a 2 Ohm cab??[/quote]

I would have to say no. As made it has 3 sets of speakers, each of 4-ohms. The AH-1000 had 3 power amps 2x250watt and 1x 500-watt.

I've thought out the various permutations and concluded that you could:

Parallel the two 2x10s and putting them in series with the 1x15 you would get 6-ohms. This would work well with a decent solid-state amp.

Put the two 2x10s in series to give 8-ohms and drive them from one channel of a power amp. Run the 1x15 from the other channel.

Put the two 2x10s in series to give 8-ohms. Change the 1x15 to a 8-ohm driver. Put the 10s in parallel with the 15 to get 4-ohms.

The possibilities are endless but you can never get 2-ohms.

Where would you like it delivered? :)

[quote name='obbm' post='175804' date='Apr 13 2008, 07:30 PM']So the question is "Should I mod the cab to make it 2 x 8-ohms" and then try and sell it?[/quote]
I suspect that may make it easier to shift (well, sell, not easier to move, for that you need to sell a couple of roadies too) unless someone once bought the AH1000-12 and forgot to get the matching cab..! :)

I've just been and temproarily rewired the cab to be single nominal 6-ohm input and been running it from the Epi 502 head. Sounds amazing.

In terms of of amp power it's not a lot different to using a 5.3ohm cab.

Time for a bump.

It works really well wired to 6-ohms. Any solid-state head or power-amp which is specified to deliver 500/600 watts into 4-ohms can really make it shift some air and it's loud even with a 100-watt valve head.

I need to make some space in the garage for the incoming AD200B/NV610 :)

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='175776' date='Apr 13 2008, 07:04 PM']Well it's "bass frequency cab", but I think most people would just call it a "big f***ing cab" :huh:[/quote]
When I went up to Trace a few years back to get my 122h combo looked over (it was doing funny things like the pedal board lights getting out of sync with the amp) I did say something similar and I sort of got the feeling that it was named for the latter, and then they had to think of something more family friendly for marketing :)

Yup, i recall a similar story straight from the Trace reps mouth about the BLX being so called because of the over excited and repeated description of it being the dogs blx by the designer when he presented the design at a meeting or something, and the name stuck!

• 4 weeks later...