Why become a member? ×

Musicman Bongo advice/new bass recommendation

Jimryan

Morning all

After recently getting laid off, all plans on bass purchases were put on the back burner. However, now that the magical tax rebate time of year has come around once again. I've decided to treat myself.

Originally I had loads of basses I wanted...I still do come to think of it, but after much consideration I've narrowed it down to one model. The Bongo.

A few years back I had a 4 string in the Desert Gold finish, a bass which I've never got over getting rid of.

My problem is this. I know I want a Bongo, but do I want a 4 or a 6. I've previously played 6'es but never a Bongo 6.

So, I can either:

Stick with the 4, I've played it and know it.

Get the 6, and hope I like it.

Or, try and track down who has my original one (probably impossible...unless it's one of you lot :huh: )

In addition to the above, I also ask:

As Desert Gold is now discontinued, does anyone have a Musicman in Tangerine pearl with a picture that does the finish justice and does it have that slight sparkle in sunlight like the desert gold and blue pearl does,

And, does anyone in the portsmouth area, have a Bongo 6 I could try to see if I like it before just ordering it as I'm fussy about 6'es.

Any help would be fantastic. It's gotten to the stage of losing sleep over deciding what to get.

Cheers

I loved my old 4, but I cant decide on the colour as my favourite no longer exists, and everytime I think about it the thought process is...

"I'd love the 4 again...but I'd like a low B...but there's no point in the low B without the high C...but I've not tried it...but I might love it more than the 4...I'll post on basschat...they'll know"

lol

I don't really rate the multi pickup bongos as the different placement IMO makes the bridge bucker sound thin and too much like a jazz bass.

If you are seriously considering either a 6 or 4, then I would try the different options available to you, even if you have to travel far, just so you know before you go ahead and spend money on something you may not be 100% happy with.

Although for me there is one six string bass I'd really love [url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/for-sale/"]http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/for-sale/[/url] that or the new MM roscoe. Sadly I have to look after my own flock before I go and buy something else.

In some ways, only you can really know whats best for yourself here!!!

Have you owned a 6 string before?

Are you getting this bongo just for variety and occassional use? Or is it going to be your main bass?

I'd always go for a 4 string if its a bass I'm going to play a lot - but thats just me. I find that I always end up grabbing the 4 string when I'm in a situation where I need to be at my best (best being relative!).

PS great choice - bongo's are great basses. They may be fugly, but you just can't argue with the playability or that tone:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wd7QWMBle0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wd7QWMBle0[/url]

Ming

Don't fall for the 'If I have a B I might as well have a C too' argument. For me that was a step too far and as a result I have a very nice ornamental Shuker 6 hanging on my wall. Just can't make the transition at all. OK for a little blast now and again, but I wouldn't ever dream of gigging with it! If you need a 6 string you wouldn't think like that, you'd just need it, full stop.

Bongo HHs are great sounding basses. I've owned both 4 and 5 strings (as with all MM basses I can't get along with the neck shape and I've tried on 4 different occasions) and if I could get one with the same shape neck as my J or P bass then I'd probably have it.

The colour thing is down to you - I've never bought a bass based on colour, my thinking being that I won't notice the colour when I'm playing it, and I don't spend much time admiring it when I'm not playing it. That being said there are colours I wouldn't buy...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1332938541' post='1595115']
Don't fall for the 'If I have a B I might as well have a C too' argument. For me that was a step too far and as a result I have a very nice ornamental Shuker 6 hanging on my wall. Just can't make the transition at all. OK for a little blast now and again, but I wouldn't ever dream of gigging with it! If you need a 6 string you wouldn't think like that, you'd just need it, full stop.
[/quote]

Sounds about right. I found it relatively okay to adapt to a 5 string, but I think the 6 would be a different kettle of fish. The B out of the way until you need it but the same can't be said of the C.

Even though I love Musicman's 5 string basses, I THINK this time i'm going to get a 4.

My spec is going to be something like:

Tangerine Pearl
White Pearl Guard
HH Pups
4 String
New tuners

It's either that or a Sky Blue.

Martin @ Soundslive has just given me a very keen price on one of these ordered in (3-4 months build time).

I have owned a couple of 6'es before. I love using them for chords and such and it will be my main bass.

My dilemma is that I've not played the bongo 6 and am fussy with 6'es and although I'm torn between finishes. I just really want to see them.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1332957147' post='1595561']
Dammit I want a bongo now.
[/quote]

Had one... on the plus it has a HUGE booming great sound, capable of shaking every living thing around it and so yes I had a bit of fun with it, but it was short lived. There must be a number of reasons why the Bongo didn't become a keeper in my stable and was sold it 11 months later. The things I hated the most were that dated pickup blend control and the unswitchable preamp, it's on all the time and that's about it! So for me the thrill is gone.

The 25th Anniversary (now called the Reflex) and the Big Al are much better and more versatile instruments. Also... the 24 frets scale on a Bongo (at least on all the 3 different ones I have tried) is a bit f'd up, no matter how accurately you adjust the intonation, saddles, etc any note pressed down past the 12th fret are way off tune, and I have tried it with the best tuners around, Peterson strobo, Korg pitchblack and tc polytune I reckon EBMM haven't done their math right when they placed the frets, or god knows why, it's just very difficult to get a true note from fret 14th onward.

Things like that put me right off, for an instrument that cost you the best part of £1800 for a 5 strings with piezo which mine was. I don't miss it and the simple answer is below in my signture picture :D

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1332931135' post='1594958']

Although for me there is one six string bass I'd really love [url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/for-sale/"]http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/for-sale/[/url] that or the new MM roscoe. Sadly I have to look after my own flock before I go and buy something else.
[/quote]

It can still be yours ;-)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1332959979' post='1595607']Also... the 24 frets scale on a Bongo (at least on all the 3 different ones I have tried) is a bit f'd up, no matter how accurately you adjust the intonation, saddles, etc any note pressed down past the 12th fret are way off tune, and I have tried it with the best tuners around, Peterson strobo, Korg pitchblack and tc polytune I reckon EBMM haven't done their math right when they placed the frets, or god knows why, it's just very difficult to get a true note from fret 14th onward.[/quote]

Hi Fran, how you doing - your post got me very worried about my Bongo 5HHp - I've just been and checked it - I'm happy to say mine is fine other than it's a tad adrift at fret 24 on the E but I think I can live with that, and won't be bothering to adjust it :rolleyes:

I have to say that the Bongo is a great bass - very wide range of tone options and sits beautifully in any mix, both recorded and live - I think it has an underlying fundamental tone that's reminiscent of a P Bass, but with a multitude of sound variation available. It's great to play and even though mine is a tad on the heavy side for a Bongo, its weight is so well balanced it doesn't cause me back ache after a set, and the shape is so ergonomic that it's a joy to play. The only down side for me is slapping can be a bit awkward initially owing to the neck humbucker position. I've had mine for a couple of years now and won't be selling it!!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1333743177' post='1606085']
Hi Fran, how you doing - your post got me very worried about my Bongo 5HHp - I've just been and checked it - I'm happy to say mine is fine other than it's a tad adrift at fret 24 on the E but I think I can live with that, and won't be bothering to adjust it :rolleyes:

I have to say that the Bongo is a great bass - very wide range of tone options and sits beautifully in any mix, both recorded and live - I think it has an underlying fundamental tone that's reminiscent of a P Bass, but with a multitude of sound variation available. It's great to play and even though mine is a tad on the heavy side for a Bongo, its weight is so well balanced it doesn't cause me back ache after a set, and the shape is so ergonomic that it's a joy to play. The only down side for me is slapping can be a bit awkward initially owing to the neck humbucker position. I've had mine for a couple of years now and won't be selling it!!
[/quote]

That's great news! Cheers