Why become a member? ×

Gallien krueger

jackhammer

[quote name='jackhammer' timestamp='1332774033' post='1592897']
Hi all,

Another amp thread! Sorry :s just so undecided!!

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-700RB-+-115MBE400-Bass-Stack~ID~17082.asp"]http://www.soundsliv...ck~ID~17082.asp[/url]

Any thoughts on the above? Loud enough? Better value for money on something else?

Thanks!
[/quote] I think it will be loud enough . I have the little bigger Gallien Krueger 1001 RB II. Amazing amp. Very versatile active EQ, lots of headroom and of course - nice sounding. It's also built like a tank. Good luck mate. It's a good choise if you pick that one.

[quote name='jackhammer' timestamp='1332836199' post='1593616']
Thanks everyone for your help, don't really know of any big music stores around my area so probably won't be able to test :( so I'll end up buying and hoping! I'm sure all will be fine as it seems like everyone rates them fairly highly! We will see! Thanks again

Jack
[/quote] One more thing : I dont use the biamp option at all. I just plug in my Aguilar DB 112 and my Ashdown 115 , both in 8 ohm , and I'm been rewarded with sound from heaven. The the biamp system was ,in the first place, ment to be for GK's own RBH and NEO series of cabinets. But again: You dont need the biamp system at all. Just plug and play mate., but be aware of the impedance. Use two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm cab., to take full advantage of the amp. This amp has a minimum impedance set at 4 ohm. Again: Good luck mate :D

Did have a MB200 (not the 500) .. nice but not powerful enough but thought the old 400RB sounded awesome once cranked (esp for rock) but also 200w .. have now got the 700RB-II which I biamp thru Barefaced S12 & absolutely fantastic ! (again esp for rock) hence I've my Markbass valve rig up for sale .. also don't mind a little weight (9kg) on top of my cab .. don't want it shaking off lol .. also sixe not too big & tried & tested for a decade or so ... so 700 all the way for me (but haven't tried the MB500 to be far)

[quote name='jackhammer' timestamp='1333186850' post='1598463']
Once again thanks for your replies. I was pretty much sold on this until I spotted the mb500, so final question (I promise) what are the pros and cons of the mb500 vs rb700? As I'm really unsure which to go for!!
[/quote]

For me its the weight. 9kg for the 700 versus 15kg for the 2x10" combo.

The main differences are that the 700RB is I think made in the USA and the mb500 is made in china, the weight, the ability to biamp with GK cabs which I never used and the size.

The only GK amp I`ve ever used is the MB500, so haven`t got anything to compare it to, but it`s a great amp. As well as being incredibly powerful, and putting out that lovely GK sound, which fits so well in the mix, it`s half the size and weight of a laptop, so very practical too.

Just bung me £700 for my rig and you'll be fine (shameless sales pitch, well I do sell double glazing :D )
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164181-gallien-krueger-rig-for-sale-price-drop/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164181-gallien-krueger-rig-for-sale-price-drop/[/url]

I've used all 3 RB heads and all 3 MB (current) heads. Main differences:

Weight and size: The RB heads are made to sound like GK want them to with little compromise. They're heavy and big. The MB heads are tiny and weigh nothing. I have the MB Fusion (the biggest of the MBs) in a laptop case with all my leads.
The MB heads sound naturally less beefy. The beef is still there though in spadeloads, but it needs to be EQd in. The RBs are a lot thicker sounding. Both have have a wide range of sounds depending on what you dial in.
GK's Bi-amping. As mentioned, the MB series don't have it, but neither do the MBE cabs anyway

I'd try them both out if you can. Neither sound nicer IMO but they do sound quite different. I have the 2001RB-II and the MB Fusion and I use the Fusion more just for ease. Being able to show up to a gig with a cab in one hand (yes, the NEO212s are that light), bass in the other and laptop case over my shoulder is brilliant. But the MB has no way of competing with the raw power of the 2001 with 410RBHs. They fill up a room completely and sound awesome.