Why become a member? ×

Westone thunder fretless

cocco

Well the Westone Thunders were pretty well made and came from the Matsumoku factory in Japan (where the 1980's Arias were made).
Although the Westone name has been extinct since the early 90's they are still used and remain a collectable brand by enthusiasts.

I first met the brand in the early 80's when I was working in a music shop and they quite literally wiped out all the other brands within the same price range.

As for whether lined or unlined is the best bet really depends on the player.
If you are having to look at the fingerboard on a fretted bass every couple of notes then you'll probably benefit from a lined fingerboard.
If you only glance occasionally then you probably don't need them.

I bought a lined JB but, within a day or two, had no need for the fret markers.
Unlined necks usually have edge dots, so you're not left completely high and dry. :)

I have a Thunder III, with PJ pickups, unlined. It's a lovely bass, well made, with lots of tone options.

Which model Thunder are you looking at? I played a fretted IA for a while - not as nice. The only other issue with the Westones is the body shape - the body is tiny and is a little headstock droopy on a strap.

I think playing without lines is not a problem if you have good left hand (or fretting hand) technique - one finger per semitone, fingers at 90 degrees to the strings, carefully thought-out position shifts. If you're playing by yourself, you won't notice any bad intonation, so I recommend playing with others or playing along to backing tracks to help your tuning.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the original Westone Thunder fretless was available lined - the only way you will get one is to buy a de-fretted example.

I haven't played much fretless but I love my unlined Thunder III and intonation isn't so difficult once you get familiar with the neck.

Also, for information, these basses can be used without batteries (in passive mode) if required.

I love mine :D

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1333789466' post='1606393']
I don't think the original Westone Thunder fretless was available lined - the only way you will get one is to buy a de-fretted example.

I haven't played much fretless but I love my unlined Thunder III and intonation isn't so difficult once you get familiar with the neck.

Also, for information, these basses can be used without batteries (in passive mode) if required.

I love mine :D
[/quote]
Do you have any pics?

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1332703370' post='1591925']
I'm thinking of having a dabble with a fretless bass. There's a tidy looking thunder fretless on eBay, anyone got any experience? Also would I be better off with a lined neck to start with?
[/quote]

I was also introduced to Westone's back in the '80s and still have a pair of Thunder IIA's - one fretted, one fretless (click on my signature pic below). The fretless (owned since about 1984) is lined though, as has been said, once you get used to the neck you may find you don't need to be looking down so much.

I've also had a Thunder 1A fretless (unlined) plus a Thunder Jet which I had for a short time and traded in for the 1A.

They're excellent basses though the longer 2-octave necked Thunder 2 and 3 models are a little neck heavy. But finding the right playing position will pay off and you will have a very useable instrument with bags of tonal range.
The active/passive switch is also very handy if you happen to find yourself with dead batteries (requires 2 x PP3 9v).

• 3 weeks later...