Why become a member? ×

Self builds from good quality parts

fretmeister

Right - I'm thinking of putting together a jazz.

Warmoth swamp ash chambered body
Badass 2 bridge
Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups
Simple Vol, Balance, Tone to start off with, then maybe swap to an East J-Retro when I have more money.
Status-Graphite Jazz neck
Hipshot ultralite tunes, D-tuner on the E

Any opinions on spec?

Never done this before so what pitfalls / mistakes am I going to suffer??

ta!

Have you factored in the fact that Status necks come with blank headstocks? This is to facilitate the fitting of non-standard tuners, string guides, etc.
If you're handy with a drill or have a drill-press or similar, then fine, but be warned... If you want the holes cut at the factory, it'll cost extra.

Otherwise, go for it. But be sure it's a keeper, as re-sale value is likely to be..... [i]disappointing[/i]

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1332347389' post='1587065']
Have you factored in the fact that Status necks come with blank headstocks? This is to facilitate the fitting of non-standard tuners, string guides, etc.
If you're handy with a drill or have a drill-press or similar, then fine, but be warned... If you want the holes cut at the factory, it'll cost extra.
[/quote]

Not according to their website -

[quote name='www.status-graphite.com']We also machine the tuner holes in the headstock to suit normal tuners which have a 17mm (11/16") bush.
If you want to fit smaller Gotoh or Hipshot tuners we can machine the hole at 14mm. The neck is not supplied with tuners as standard but it is not difficult to fit your existing tuners.[/quote]

False advertising perhaps?

Edited by clauster

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1332357235' post='1587303']
Not according to their website -

False advertising perhaps?
[/quote]

What "false advertising" do you mean?

If you buy one, it comes with holes. The customer merely picks the size of the holes.

IMHO Rob Green builds the best basses on earth and has always been a pleasure to deal with.

I notice you are having a Warmoth body, have you considered one of their necks. I have a Tele neck and its both beautiful and excellent quality. They do bass necks with carbon or steel inserts now and you would be guaranteed an excellent fit
You might well save enough towards an East preamp too

Edited by rubis

Sounds nice. What`s the deal with the chambered body? Less weight, better sound? I never knew you could get that spec. It wil look the biz with the Status neck but I seem to remember reading on here that you have to be carefull when drilling the holes for the neck/body joint. Here`s the post from Bassbod.

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:51 AM
I wouldn't do it again. Unless you're very confident and steady handed, have sharp tools and know a bit about carbon/graphite do's and don'ts.

The carbon fibre is very thin and brittle - ie the srews only grip 2-3mm of resin, then its fresh air inside the [color="#ff0000"]neck[/color], with some foam. The holes have to be counter-sunk to avoid chipping as the screws go in - it all feels a bit high risk on an expensive [color="#ff0000"]neck[/color]. I did it fine, but its not a forgiving material.

I've got a lot of respect for Rob Green, making basses out of that stuff, and to such a high standard.

Edit for a PS: I also wouldn't do it again for sonic reasons - way too brittle/hard a sound for me...but lots of people love it B)

Might be worth talking to the guy?

Jez