Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's that time of the year, again...

Grand Wazoo

You just know it, don't you? Well at least I do, soon as I see the Daffodils come out, it means springtime is here and when that season starts you need to carry out a little maintenance on you basses, as temperature changes your action gets a little higher as the wood warms up and changes shape. Mind you not all basses do that, I find those with laminate or fixed (glued in) necks tends to stay pretty much the same the whole year around but its your Fenders and Squiers and similar ones, generally those with one piece maple necks that do it. The great thing is that it only takes a quarter turn on your trussrod and you're good to go again.

Still, it catches me out every year that from one week to the next I suddenly find the action getting higher and I wonder [b]wtf?[/b] when I never touched the settings then I remember... oh yeah "Spring is here"

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1332066373' post='1582635']
........ From the title I thought it was about paddy's day :)

One very sore Irish head this morning
[/quote]

I thought the post was about tax-return season, when even piddling returns from the taxman start the G.A.S. pains ...

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1337517769' post='1661173']
I get more fret buzz, so have to increase the bow. Luckily I haven`t had to adjust my 77, but the MIM had some tweakage.
[/quote]

I dunno if its related, but my Farida Jazz has turned in to a 'twangger' but my Farida P bass sounds much better than usual ?!

Fat Rich you seem to have terrible bad luck with your Stingray - I know lots of people with Stingrays and they don't ever adjust the truss rods, and they still seem to be able to play them perfectly well. My SR5 is a good case in point - I took it out to a jam session a couple of weeks back - it hadn't been used and had been stored in its case for about six months. It was still in tune and played as it should, straight out of the case.

The modern Stingrays are built with far better quality control than those old 70s ones, nice as they are - the new ones also have a far superior neck attachment using 6 bolts - maybe that is the difference.

Having said that I played a gig on Friday - one of the other bands had a bass player with a 76 Stingray, and he was the original owner - he has no problem of this type and the bass sounded great also - in fact the only one which sounded crap all night was a 72 Precision when it was played with the tone control fully on - the clankiness of the sound overpowered the music. Fine in bassy mode though.

So maybe you just have a bad un - you could upgrade to a new one :)

Edited by drTStingray