Why become a member? ×

New Incognito album...

bubinga5

Had this on in the car for the past few days - timewarp stuff - has a late 70s/early 80s feel to it..still not sure which is my favourite track yet..a few more listens and I'll let you know..

Definitely worth a listen to if not a purchase..

It's an amazing album - I've been playing it a lot over the last few days.

A couple of years ago I played in a band with one of the Incognito drummers, Francesco Mendolia (that's him in the clip) and he was awesome - I'm sure he made my bass play itself :)

Awesome album! I've been listening to it over and over since I got it last week, and it seems to get better every time I listen! Wicked basslines (wish I could play like that!).

I bought "Tales From The Beach" last year which is good too, but can anyone recommend other essential Incognito albums?

[quote name='BambusBoy' timestamp='1333559384' post='1603601']
I haven't got "Tales from the beach" (so will buy it).

All the albums are really good but my faves are "Positivity", "Tribes, Vibes & Scribes" and "JazzFunk" (which sounds very "of it's era"/dated, but is great)
[/quote]

+1, 'Positivity' is great. 'Inversions' is one of favourite tracks from that album. 'Jazz-Funk' is great but isn't too different from anything else that was around at that time Brit Funk/Jazz-Funk wize, i.e. Light of the World, Freeez etc (understandably seeing as Bluey was involved in a lot of it!).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BambusBoy' timestamp='1334574723' post='1617752']
Thanks FunkGod - just had a taster listen on itunes and I will buy it when I get back on wifi.

Sounds like a big Francis Rocca Prestia influence on those bass lines?
[/quote]

Hello Bam,
funny you should say that,
When i did the short review on amazon for "band on a mission" i did point that out.
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Band-Mission-Push/dp/B005X6UKTC/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334747363&sr=1-3"]http://www.amazon.co...34747363&sr=1-3[/url]

Im still waiting for my Surreal cd to arrive !!! cant wait, i think i have nearly all the other incognito cds so am now just biting at the bitt.
When i was playing in an Acid jazz band in the 80s and 90s we nicked so much stuff from bluey/ incognito (as well as JTQ , new jersey kings,corduroy ETC) it was just too good not to use, infectious.

Edited by funkgod

I actually bought the push album based on your recommendation - really like it.

I am sure you will enjoy Surreal when it arrives - I think it's one of their best. I'll have to check out New jersey Kings as I have a lot of JTQ stuff. Been meaning to buy the Corduroy album for a while too :)

[quote name='BambusBoy' timestamp='1334751022' post='1620609']
I actually bought the push album based on your recommendation - really like it.

I am sure you will enjoy Surreal when it arrives - I think it's one of their best. I'll have to check out New jersey Kings as I have a lot of JTQ stuff. Been meaning to buy the Corduroy album for a while too :)
[/quote]

Regarding the corduroy cd the one to get is the two best ones as a double, dead man cat and out of here.
love that raw brit funk sound they had.
you can order it from amazon used for £1.14 from ZOVERSTOCKS,
i have had 100s of used cds from zoverstocks and never had to send one back !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dad-Man-Cat-Out-Here/dp/B00000IHCS/ref=sr_1_14?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334751462&sr=1-14

Just in case anyone hasn't seen these guys live lately they are still amazing - just funky as hell - great songs and great playing/singing etc - try and get to this if you can:

https://agmp.ticketabc.com/events/incognito-mario-bion/

I saw them at Ronnie Scott's last year and it was killing...

I really can't get enough of this album! I think Francis Hylton is my new bass hero! I've got a couple of other Incognito albums, but this one really stands out, and there's some outstanding vocal performances. The vocal on "Above the night" sends a shiver up my spine every time (ESPECIALLY the vocal lick around 3:22-3:25).

Wish I could play like Francis Hylton........

I have been listening to it for a few days now. One of the best albums they have done to date. Not super keen on the vocals as I think they have had better singers in the past, but the songs are great and the album as a whole sounds awesome.