Why become a member? ×

Freebird

Hobbayne

I have been playing this for a while now, and have not really paid much attention to the bass part on the long guitar solo.
Had a closer listen today, and instead of holding down the G Bb and C for 5 minutes, there is some nice bass work going on there, albeit largely mixed down in favour of the guitar solo.
Some of the upper register work is really impressive and Leon Wilkenson hardly ever plays the same part twice. :happy:

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1331903534' post='1580664']
I have been playing this for a while now, and have not really paid much attention to the bass part on the long guitar solo.
Had a closer listen today, and instead of holding down the G Bb and C for 5 minutes, there is some nice bass work going on there, albeit largely mixed down in favour of the guitar solo.
Some of the upper register work is really impressive and Leon Wilkenson hardly ever plays the same part twice. :happy:
[/quote]

If it's the studio version, that's not Leon Wilkeson - he left the band before they recorded the first album, only to rejoin immediately after. The bass on Pronounced was played by one of the guitarists - Ed King I think.

Excellent bass album all round really.

I remember doing with my old band years ago. when it was suggested my initial thoughts, much like yours, were "G,Bb and C for about 20 minutes while our 2 guitarists go off on one" but when i sat down and listened to it properly there is some nice bass work in there. Used to amaze me, the number of cover bands that did it and how few of the bassists actually played it correctly.