Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB424 - problem pickup?

Cosmo Valdemar

I'm considering getting me a Yamaha BB424 as an all-round workhorse. I've heard nothing but good things about them but I am a little bit concerned by the review in BGM a couple of issues back. For those who haven't read it, the reviewer said you are unable to set the string height properly because of the blade-style back pickup - it would seem the height of the blade isn't adjustable and any attempt to lower the action results in the strings hitting the pickup.

This is a bit worrying as I like a nice low action. It could be a deal breaker!

Any BB owners on here ever had this problem? The blade may be fixed but surely the pickup itself can be lowered?

I had one (now owned by mic mac moe) and found that the blade pickup was set pretty low anyway, although im almost certain you can just change the height of the entire pickup... Never a problem for me. There is a heck of a lot less string movement down near the bridge so im super surprised they managed to find that a problem.

I have a BB614 and the blade on the bridge pickup is curved in an attempt to match the radius of the fingerboard and therefore the strings and the pickup as a whole is height adjustable at either side. I have just checked and both sides move up and down when you turn these screws :)

What did they suppose those single screws at either side of the pickup were for?

Sounds like a load of ill-informed rubbish to me.

You believe something in BGM? I bought the mag after giving it a miss due to it being crap basically and on page 7, they have an article about a Dingwall super P where they state that the Dingwall was based on "Leo Fenders classic 1960`s design."

I rest my case.

Jez

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1331642461' post='1576337']
Surely making such erroneous accusations against an instruments design and function in a major magazine is bordering on libel?
[/quote]

Perhaps, but one thing's for sure - it's giving us a right good laugh at their expense :)

I concur; (if it's the same as a BB414) the whole pickup is adjustable and the curve of the blade matches the (normal) arc of your strings, so you wouldn't really have any need to adjust the blade itself, nor would it really achieve anything.

Of course, I found the pickups in my BB414 were lacking something, but that's a whole other thread! :D

I do indeed own MythSte's BB424.Ive never had a problem with my bridge pup.Like everyone says in this thread,itit curved to match the string arc and is adjustable in height.What more is there?? As long as your bridge is set to correct radius,its a no brainer.

I also have given up on BGM