Why become a member? ×

SOLD! - 2007 Nash JB63, 3T sunburst

Stacker

Might have to let this go due to another fella on the horizon.

Nash JB63 SB, medium relicing. DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pups. Comes with Nash oblong case both relic'd ashtrays.

Some of you may have seen this bass in Bass Direct a few years back. At some point, I thought a previous owner had drilled holes for a Badass (or somesuch unit with a large footprint) behind the normal anchoring point. This wasn't spotted by myself (nor two other BCers) until I took the ashtrays off and gave it a good look-over.

However, Basschatter Mckendrick pointed out to me something that I has also completely missed: The bridge was too far forward and that the rear holes were indeed the correct ones!! I have tonight moved the bridge back but this has now exposed part of the rout for the grounding wire!! I don't believe this bass left the Nash factory like this or if it did it was a second, but I doubt it. It's all very odd but I am much happier with the bridge back in its correct postion. Any Qs, fire away. No trades. £900

Edited by Stacker

Update for this thread. Basschatter Mckendrick pointed out to me something that I has also completely missed: The bridge was [i]too far forward[/i] and that the rear holes were indeed the correct ones!! I have tonight moved the bridge back but this has now exposed part of the rout for the grounding wire (pic to follow later)!! I don't believe this bass left the Nash factory like this or if it did it was a second, but I doubt it. It's all very odd but I am much happier with the bridge back in its correct postion. Thanks to Mckendrick for pointing out something that should have been obvious to me.

Ok, here's the bridge moved back. I reckon there is still enough travel for the bridge to go forward an cover the rout hole but it would mean that the remaining two sets of holes would have to be dowel-filled first. Weird, how this bass came to be like this.

Edited by Stacker

Ok,measured the distance between rear pup and front of bridge and this shows bridge is now, bar a few mm, in the '60s position. God knows what's been done but I have decided that, if the bass doesn't sell, I will get that rout partially filled, foe I now believe that is where the fault lies. Naah tell me the bass would never have left the factory in this condition

Arbitrarily moving the bridge back and forth because it looks right ain't the way to go guys. If someone has installed a Badass at some point it should have just dropped in with no need to re-drill. This situation could however be the result of perhaps switching to a 21 fret neck at some point, who knows.

The distance from the bridge to the pup is only one factor. The important one is the distance from the G saddle to the nut, centre to centre ? You need it to be 34" with a little wiggle room either direction for intonation adjustment - that'll be the definitive spot for the bridge.

HTH :)

Well, you can see how far forward I've had to move the G saddle to get it to intonate correctly; the E has siezed and will need a bit of TLC. The whole issue is puzzling me more, now. Might just pull this and get it sorted for once and for all.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1331719019' post='1577509']
Well, you can see how far forward I've had to move the G saddle to get it to intonate correctly; the E has siezed and will need a bit of TLC. The whole issue is puzzling me more, now. Might just pull this and get it sorted for once and for all.
[/quote]

As long as you suss out which set of holes correlates to the 34" spot you should be fine. Let's face if ever there was a bass to have extra screw holes or a bit of rout on show it would be something of this ilk... it certainly hasn't put the guys who commented above off.

If a tiny squirt of wd40 doesn't free up your saddle screw, give it 30 seconds from the tip of a soldering iron. ;)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1331720198' post='1577534']
Let's face if ever there was a bass to have extra screw holes or a bit of rout on show it would be something of this ilk...
[/quote]

I was just thinking that its all part of the '60s relic appearance... the Jaco Custom Shop basses have holes from where the old mute mounts went...

T