Why become a member? ×

Jaco’s 1962 Fender Jazz Bass “Bass of Doom” Found!

Funkmaster

So the " Bass of Doom" was given to Jaco with the maple finish etc????? Just a tad confused, I thought he lost it when it was all knackered and worn out......and died not long after

[url="http://www.hamiltoneguitars.com/palmbeachguitars/About_Us/steve_siciliano_Jaco.jpg"]http://www.hamiltoneguitars.com/palmbeachg...iliano_Jaco.jpg[/url]

Edited by Jase

[quote name='ped' post='174280' date='Apr 11 2008, 12:46 AM']I shouldn't waste your time trying to analyse it. Some people are just confrontational, boring, jaded, passive aggressive and hypocritical. Some pull all these off at once!![/quote]

And you might want to add very brave when ther are miles and miles away from those they are abusing.....!

:)

Pack mentality is just as ridiculous.

[b]The arts of power and its minions are the same in all countries and in all ages. It marks its victim; denounces it; and excites the public odium and the public hatred, to conceal its own abuses and encroachments. (Henry Clay: 1843, 1777-1852) [/b]

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='dlloyd' post='174391' date='Apr 11 2008, 10:34 AM']IIRC, he threw/dropped it out a window and it got run over by a taxi. I think he says something about it being away getting repaired in his instructional DVD... I might be wrong.

This bass, and another Jazz, later got 'stolen' some time before he took a holiday at Bellevue Hospital. Given his mental state, the fact that he was often homeless and reduced to begging for food in this period, and the fact that he often left his instruments unattended and at least once had to buy back his bass after giving it away, the nature of the theft is open to some interpretation.[/quote]

Ahh, right. Cheers :) I had heard/read about the taxi story, like you say it's open to interpretation. Apparently the bass is still a joy to play.

[quote name='Toasted' post='174370' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:43 AM']Pack mentality is just as ridiculous.

[b]The arts of power and its minions are the same in all countries and in all ages. It marks its victim; denounces it; and excites the public odium and the public hatred, to conceal its own abuses and encroachments. (Henry Clay: 1843, 1777-1852) [/b][/quote]

I want your babies.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='174391' date='Apr 11 2008, 10:34 AM']IIRC, he threw/dropped it out a window and it got run over by a taxi. I think he says something about it being away getting repaired in his instructional DVD... I might be wrong.

This bass, and another Jazz, later got 'stolen' some time before he took a holiday at Bellevue Hospital. Given his mental state, the fact that he was often homeless and reduced to begging for food in this period, and the fact that he often left his instruments unattended and at least once had to buy back his bass after giving it away, the nature of the theft is open to some interpretation.[/quote]

That is so sad, and brings it home just how anybody no matter how talented can lose control of thier lives. But then like the painter, i think to have that much talent, and having to live with it (what must be going on in their heads ) could drive you mad, as what seems to have happened.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='175562' date='Apr 13 2008, 11:03 AM']It could well be the other way around... that the 'madness' can drive you to have talent. Bipolar patients often also have OCD symptoms which could well cause them to practice to an extent that's vastly excessive compared to the rest of us.[/quote]

wow never thought of it like that. life is a fine balance. I guess no matter what level your at, its really about enjoying what you do, and what you give to others when playing.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='175562' date='Apr 13 2008, 11:03 AM']It could well be the other way around... that the 'madness' can drive you to have talent. Bipolar patients often also have OCD symptoms which could well cause them to practice to an extent that's vastly excessive compared to the rest of us.[/quote]

You're probably right there but I reckon old Jaco hardly touched the bass in terms of practice towards the end, some of the stuff right at the very end, recordings, videos, etc are that of a Jaco below his usual standard, dunno what do you reckon? :)

I read this piece in BP (in Borders, cos I'm a cheapskate!) and I really liked the comments Vic's Bailey and Wooten, and Will Lee made, it's nice to hear them say that the bass had certain qualities, that while Jaco played it the way he did, the bass itself had a very specific feel and sound too. I'm pleased it's been found anyway.

M

[quote name='urb' post='175686' date='Apr 13 2008, 03:55 PM']I read this piece in BP (in Borders, cos I'm a cheapskate!) and I really liked the comments Vic's Bailey and Wooten, and Will Lee made, it's nice to hear them say that the bass had certain qualities, that while Jaco played it the way he did, the bass itself had a very specific feel and sound too. I'm pleased it's been found anyway.[/quote]
I'd be curious to know what they'd have said if they hadn't known it was the BoD before playing it.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='176090' date='Apr 14 2008, 10:24 AM']I liked Bailey's comments best:

“Still, there’s nothing outstanding about the bass itself; it’s a really nice fretless Jazz Bass. What makes it important is what Jaco did with it, introducing his beautiful sound and musical voice to the world.”

Word.[/quote]

Yep, I agree, all that stuff with just a Fender Jazz, says it all doesn't it :)