Why become a member? ×

London Bass Show '12 - how was it for you?

visog

Most demo's at shows I have seen often involve a lot of slappage. I guess it's a bit more entertaining that repeating 12 bar blues licks for 30mins. Would you give much attention to Guy Berryman doing a demo? I guess that's why manufacturers invite their funk artists along to give a bit more enterainment and grab your attention a bit more. I dunno...I may be wrong. Ever since I saw a demo on a Chapman Stick that slappy stuff doesn't impress me as much as it used to.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1331304613' post='1571113']
Most demo's at shows I have seen often involve a lot of slappage. I guess it's a bit more entertaining that repeating 12 bar blues licks for 30mins. Would you give much attention to Guy Berryman doing a demo? I guess that's why manufacturers invite their funk artists along to give a bit more enterainment and grab your attention a bit more. I dunno...I may be wrong. Ever since I saw a demo on a Chapman Stick that slappy stuff doesn't impress me as much as it used to.
[/quote]

Which is why the majority of demos are pointless to me. I don't care what some big name bassist can play and how they sound on the gear. It's what I can play and how I sound on the gear that's important.

I didn't go to the show, it's too far and I had other commitments, but I understand how irritating the noise must have been, and the mediocre playing by 100s of people at the same time, I don't understand the hatred for slap bass though. I play bass, I like to try and be as good as I can at all styles, it keeps it interesting for me and makes it easier to find work in function bands. I don't slap a lot, but my ability to play the solo in "Call Me Al" got me a few well payed gigs recently, and I introduced RHCPs higher ground to the set too, which goes down really well when we play it. In my original band, rock/techno crossover, I use slap (sparingly) in a few songs and I play whatever I think will enhance the song, even if it means using a plectrum!!!

Each to their own, but I think variety is the spice of life, when I'm practising at home I like to play and hard, fast and funky as I can, when I play covers I like to try and play them as they were written and when I play original songs I try and write a bass line that will sound good and hopefully be interesting too. All of which doesn't leave me with much time to get annoyed about other peoples style or taste.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1330854359' post='1563678']
I had a great day - enhanced greatly by hanging with a certain Lamb bassist - but it was great seeing a few folks like Dood and Molan again - I tried a few basses but spent a lot of time away from the main hall, and a lot of time on the Overwater stand - I even managed a mellowish jam with superb bassist Mike Nicholls. I spent a lot time chatting with the Scott Devine and lots more musos - but the bass highlight of the day was Scott's bass, the tone is exquisite and it plays beautifully. I'd have to make a few adjustments if I was to commission one but it's so good I'd seriously consider getting one, the fact I got to play it through an amp without resorting to silly volume was amazing - even though I managed to blow out some of the lighting and short circuit the power on one corner of the Overwater stand - luckily it was right at the end of the day!

[/quote]
Glad to hear that Mike !
Mine should be with me in a few weeks !
I've made a few changes - 17mm spacing, brass nut, 26 fret....

I've been really impressed by the work at Overwater & the guys are so friendly & genuine. It's been a great journey so far.

If it goes well I may sell my Fodera & get them to build me a four. Should end up with some £ in my pocket as well.

Hope life is good with you & your family.

C u soon.

A.
[IMG]http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad186/flippyfloop/overwater2.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by flippyfloop

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1331329831' post='1571645']
I don't understand the hatred for slap bass though.
[/quote]

Apart from it being a really irritating noise when many bass players are all trying to do it at once and fighting to be heard, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that these days in the real world you hardly ever hear any but at events like this it's all you ever hear. Fair enough if you play mainly 70s funk/disco, 80s pop or are in a Level 42 tribute band but if it's not what you normally play then why use it to try out a bass/amp? I think the last time I actually saw a bassist slap or pop more than the odd bar in a few songs at a gig was Baz Allen playing with Underworld back in 1989!

well i went sunday which was a lot quiter than saturday last year ! i was great to see my old friend Franc o'shea from BIm (and in bass mag), he gave me his Cd which if you like fretless jaco style and the top spanish guitarists then its a must (this it not one for the bass just sitting on the root notes!) also met Joe hubbard again (first met him in the 80s) he also gave me a CD which is fantastic. (i love the first track)
I also walked in to a masterclass with a bloke playing dubstar?? which was amazing does anyone know his name, he seemed a top bloke and really knew his stuff! anyway role on next year!!

[quote name='hen barn' timestamp='1331581714' post='1575353']
I also walked in to a masterclass with a bloke playing dubstar?? which was amazing does anyone know his name, he seemed a top bloke and really knew his stuff! anyway role on next year!!
[/quote]

I think that would be Chris Hargreaves. He stepped in at the 11th hour after an artist couldn't make the show to deliver a dubstep masterclass. You can check his website at: www.fattybassman.com

I can confirm he is indeed a top bloke!

cheers

Ben