Why become a member? ×

Boss Overdrive Question

Who's Who

Hi all

I have a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive pedal and just wanted a suggested setting for it.
I'm pretty useless when it comes to pedals, and I'm just using it as a boost at the minute.
But I wondered if anyone had a suggested setting I could use for the pedal.

What I'm basically looking for is to have the pedal on all the time (rather than an occasional effect) with a very slight overdriven sound. A kind of warmer, tube type slight overdrive (if that makes sense).

I have a Hartke Hydrive rig, and while it's great, it is rather clinical.
So if anyone could suggest me a setting just to 'warm up' my sound a little it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

To be honest, this pedal isn't really going to give you that kind of always on sound. For that you really need to look more towards a lower gain overdrive, perhaps like the Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B, Catalinbread SFT or maybe a Fulltone Bassdrive. A Sansamp Bassdriver could be just what you're after for an always on kind of low gain sound, with extra EQ control - this is what I bought my MXR M-80 for.

I've had an ODB-3 for years and think it's a great pedal, if you use it properly. With the gain around 11o'clock, blend favouring the clean side and the eq set roughly at 12, you'll get a nice thick bottom to really give some umph in sections where you need it - I would generally roll back the highs slightly and boost the lows too. It's not really that subtle to be honest though so I don't think it's the right pedal for the job, sorry to say.

Phat Phuk B is what you're looking for. The ODB-3 is a nasty-sounding fuzz (to my ears), and
you can't really get that kind of natural sound out of it.

On an unrelated note, I see my signature has gotten to you, eskimo.. :P

Edited by lxxwj

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1330780819' post='1562891']
Hi all

I have a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive pedal and just wanted a suggested setting for it.
I'm pretty useless when it comes to pedals, and I'm just using it as a boost at the minute.
But I wondered if anyone had a suggested setting I could use for the pedal.

What I'm basically looking for is to have the pedal on all the time (rather than an occasional effect) with a very slight overdriven sound. A kind of warmer, tube type slight overdrive (if that makes sense).

I have a Hartke Hydrive rig, and while it's great, it is rather clinical.
So if anyone could suggest me a setting just to 'warm up' my sound a little it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
[/quote]

I realise this is an older thread but if you're still looking for something to have switched on all the time you should have a look at the Tronographic Rusty Box - slightly expensive ($190) but very good. It's effectively a preamp with a switchable gain boost.

http://www.tronographic.com/

I had the Boss ODB-3 for a while and i managed to get the sound you are looking for with it(well to my ears anyway)
now bear with me on this-its been a while since I had this pedal ;)
If memory serves me correct-I had the Balance Knob ALL the way over to OD,and the GAIN ALL the way down to Min(or vice versa)nope now I think about it balance knob all the way over to dry and the gain to max.
roll off the Highs,And boost the bass to around 10 o clock.
(adjust the EQ settings to taste)
That could do it for you-but like i said it's been a while.
hope this helps.
Trev.

Edited by LeftyBiskit

Had the ODB-3 for quite a while, too, and actually liked it to just add a little bit of aggressive, nasty dirt to the LH500 I played back then ... Sounds best if you keep the distortion level really low - but no matter how you set it, it just doesn't add warmth, it's definitely the wrong pedal for that, I'd say!

Right now I'm really happy with my Catalinbread SFT, have tried many bass overdrive pedals, but nothing comes close - but I still have to try the Rusty Box, so we'll see ;)

Edited by ratking

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1334757775' post='1620762']
Behringer BDI21 if you want to add a bit of warmth. That's what i bought mine for and i find it works really well.

Liam
[/quote]

Was gonna suggest this too. I have one I'm not using. Just sits in my case, if ever i need it.

The ODB-3 is an ok pedal and if used for the task in hand should work well enough.

Here's a link to the manual:
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/_support/om.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=304&iStcd=4

I use mine set to natural overdrive then adjusted to taste. The manual will allow you to try some suggested settings for different application but the natural OD is probably what you seek!

As someone suggested the Wren and Cuff phat phuk b is a great pedal too and i use mine in conjunction with the ODb-3 to add in a nice full bottom (I have them set up with an A/B loop pedal so I can use them on together or individually as the song requires).

I'd suggest looking at the new TC Electronic Spark Plug booster as it might get you the sound you're after too and features an active boost/cut bass and treble EQ along with gain and volume and 3 mode settings (clean boost fat boost of mid boost). I'm gonna try one out this w/e if I can.

You can see it here!
http://magazine.dv247.com/2012/03/21/tc-electronic-spark-booster-pedal/