Why become a member? ×

Thick part of string on tuning post?

Count Bassy

Following on from an earlier post about flats/half flats etc. I went ahead and bought some Status half rounds fro my Ibanez SR505.

I haven't fitted them yet, however, because if I do the full thickness of the B string (0.135") is going to wind on to the tuning post by 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. (The B tuning post is only about 50mm from the nut on this bass)

I've E-mailed Status ( a few days ago) asking if they think this will cause problems, but haven't heard back yet, and I was thinking of fitting them this weekend.

Anyone here have any thoughts on this? Is this going to cause problems?

Unfortunately the medium scale version won't reach the nut!

Thanks in advance

Ze count.

ive been having sleepless nights over just this problem since i bought the same set of status strings. The look exceptionaly long to me! I dont like the idea of the thick bit going around the post. Luckely the jazz these are going on is going to be a through body so this should solve the prob. Im sure status could make you a custom set but its a sod youve already fitted them. I think string manufactures should state the 'working length' of their strings taking into acount the increase in length when tensioned

A

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1330689829' post='1561591']
Following on from an earlier post about flats/half flats etc. I went ahead and bought some Status half rounds fro my Ibanez SR505.

I haven't fitted them yet, however, because if I do the full thickness of the B string (0.135") is going to wind on to the tuning post by 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. (The B tuning post is only about 50mm from the nut on this bass)

I've E-mailed Status ( a few days ago) asking if they think this will cause problems, but haven't heard back yet, and I was thinking of fitting them this weekend.

Anyone here have any thoughts on this? Is this going to cause problems?

Unfortunately the medium scale version won't reach the nut!

Thanks in advance

Ze count.
[/quote]

With larger diameter posts this is not normally a problem for a quarter or half a turn but the pegs on the Ibanez are quite a small diameter and only designed to take the inner core of lower strings.
If the string kinks it could cut through the inner.
If the strings have no silk on them you could try un-wrapping the outer farther back, but you need to be confident to do it correctly.

Paul

I ordered a set of strings from Status the other day and got an e mail reply from Dawn apologising for the delay in getting back to me. They are up to their eyes in it the now due getting ready for the bass show. Still got the strings the next day though.

I have only found this isssue with long scale strings on Fender basses and it hasn`t caused a problem but I know what you are getting at regarding the small diamater of Ibanez tuners. I don`t suppose you have had this problem before with other manufacturers of strings?

+1 apa regarding the lengh of the string. I have had to buy a set of long scale Status half rounds to put on my Mike Dirnt as medium scale strings weren`t long enough due to the badass bridge.

Jez

It must be a Status strings problem, as the same thing happened to me. (with my Farida FPB 18 P bass copy) I have to say it still sounded fine though. Just wound it on about 1/3 of the circumference of the tuner peg after id tuned it .I think they were just making sure it was long enough to fit.

Better too long and maybe have to cut a bit off than too short and be useless.

Edited by daz

• 3 weeks later...

UDATE:

I have now fitted these strings (delayed because of a gig and didn't want to mess around before that). The thick part is about 1/3 of the way round the post and it hasn't snapped (yet).

I like the sound as well. As well as the over tone change the D and A strings sound a lot 'thicker' than the previous strings (D'addario nickel rounds), which I guess is what you'd expect with half flats.

Also the B string sounds a lot smoother. With the previous strings it was OK down to the D, but below there was quite a noticable change in tone, getting a bit clanky. The new strings keep the same tone right down to the Open B. Not sure whether this is directly due to being half flats, due to the increased tension, or simply due to being a different manufacturer.

Previously had to play with the top band of the amp EQ right down, and the treble on the SR505 right down to get a sound I liked. With these strings it now suits me with the treble around neutral, and I can adjust it either way if I need to. I can't see me wanting anything brighter than these strings with the treble (on the bass) right up.

If I was being super fussy I'd say that I'd prefer the B and E strings to be slightly brighter than they are, while leaving A,D & G as they are.

£25 well spent!